onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Voter intelligence

Bea Smith

I have a degree and I voted out. I'd vote out tomorrow, and the next day, and the next day.

I certainly don't think that people who voted to remain are more intelligent. They may be educted to a higher standard but many of them can't see the wood for the trees so it's hasn't helped them that much.

I too am fortunate enough to have had a good education and have many qualifications including a degree and I am in full agreement with other posters who have highlighted that academic achievement and intelligence are not necessarily linked. However, I hold the inverse view to yourself in so much as I would vote to be in the EU every time and see myself as European first and British second. I accept this is a minority view but I firmly believe in the long term us leaving the EU will be highly detrimental to our own economic and social well being. I sincerely hope it won't be as bad as I fear but I suspect it will.

Although Leave voters have their own reasons for their views I suspect many of them were / are not as analytical of the full facts as some others as I have observed a large number of 'Alfred Garnett' type reasons given for leaving as opposed to the right wing 'Adam Smith economy' reasons given by the Jacob Rees Moggs & Michael Goves who are fully aware of what they want to achieve and who are more than happy to see large numbers of the British working class have a poor standard of living in order to make us what they call 'competitive', just like their type did prior to 1945.

Advert

Some very revealing and interesting information released this week, and on the BBC website about the amazing co-incidence between those who voted for Brexit and... well, have a look for yourself. And don't blame me, I'm only telling you what they found...:smile:

some extracts

Of the 1,283 individual wards analysed, the highest Leave vote was 82.5% in Brambles and Thorntree, a section of east Middlesbrough with many social problems.

Brambles and Thorntree had the lowest proportion of people with a degree or similar qualification of anywhere in England and Wales, at only 4%, according to Middlesbrough council.

A BBC breakdown of localised voting areas found that less educated, older and white voters were more likely to have voted Leave.

In Oxford, the cluster of polling districts which included Blackbird Leys and other deprived estates on the southern edge of the city voted to Leave at 51% - a sharp contrast to the central areas containing colleges, university buildings and student accommodation, which *voted to Remain at over 80%.

I reckon one important category of person not included , it's the cudnt be arsed to take part in a scam project vote !!

Why not apply for a GCSE (or GCS What? as Vikki Pollard referred to it) or A Level in Propaganda Studies then get a highly paid job at the BBC spouting biased opinions based from a grain of distorted truth?

If the BBC aren't setting on then you could cast aside the propaganda training and seek employment with an honest, truthful and well balanced informative newspaper that never expresses any biased opinions or makes up things to suit its own beliefs, like, say, The Daily Mail, The Sun (no big words please), The Daily Telegraph (for the more educated bigot) or The Daily Express (for the full-on neo-Nazi 'truth')?

The BBC is a fine institution, a real national treasure and has a legal duty under the terms of its constitution to be unbiased, accurate and truthful in its reporting, which it almost always is and always has been.

I'm fine thanks I have morals and a brain. All the mainstream media are corrupt. Stop being a sheep

Some very revealing and interesting information released this week, and on the BBC website about the amazing co-incidence between those who voted for Brexit and... well, have a look for yourself. And don't blame me, I'm only telling you what they found...:smile:

some extracts

Of the 1,283 individual wards analysed, the highest Leave vote was 82.5% in Brambles and Thorntree, a section of east Middlesbrough with many social problems.

Brambles and Thorntree had the lowest proportion of people with a degree or similar qualification of anywhere in England and Wales, at only 4%, according to Middlesbrough council.

A BBC breakdown of localised voting areas found that less educated, older and white voters were more likely to have voted Leave.

In Oxford, the cluster of polling districts which included Blackbird Leys and other deprived estates on the southern edge of the city voted to Leave at 51% - a sharp contrast to the central areas containing colleges, university buildings and student accommodation, which *voted to Remain at over 80%.

I'm fine thanks I have morals and a brain. All the mainstream media are corrupt. Stop being a sheep

Sheep I reckon u av summed up about ninety percent of britains population else y else do we put up with the daily crap we endure in the uk in 2017

some extracts

So what's the point of your thread? Are you really surprised at those findings? And, by extension, are you suggesting that voters have to pass an IQ test before they are allowed to register? A university education is no guarantee of common sense and there are many people I suspect with good IQ's who have not attended further education!

Why not apply for a GCSE (or GCS What? as Vikki Pollard referred to it) or A Level in Propaganda Studies then get a highly paid job at the BBC spouting biased opinions based from a grain of distorted truth?

If the BBC aren't setting on then you could cast aside the propaganda training and seek employment with an honest, truthful and well balanced informative newspaper that never expresses any biased opinions or makes up things to suit its own beliefs, like, say, The Daily Mail, The Sun (no big words please), The Daily Telegraph (for the more educated bigot) or The Daily Express (for the full-on neo-Nazi 'truth')?

The BBC is a fine institution, a real national treasure and has a legal duty under the terms of its constitution to be unbiased, accurate and truthful in its reporting, which it almost always is and always has been.

Hard to be unbiased when you get funding from one of the sides in the referendum

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/12059280/BBC-has-received-2m-in-EU-funding-in-run-up-to-referendum-fueling-accusations-of-bias.html

Bias from the Telegraph too..."The BBC has admitted taking more than £2 million in European Union funding over the past three years"..the BBC hasn't admitted to doing anything, it has merely stated what it did. Admission implies wrong doing

It's a pittance in the grand scheme. However, it doesn't look good.

Have you worked out what percentage of the BBC's income that grant is? It's absolutely miniscule and was not used in either programme making or news.

So what's the point of your thread? Are you really surprised at those findings? And, by extension, are you suggesting that voters have to pass an IQ test before they are allowed to register? A university education is no guarantee of common sense and there are many people I suspect with good IQ's who have not attended further education!

Astonishingly in these days of manipulation and false news, the point of the thread was... (drum roll)..

To get people to think about this news item, and discuss it. That's all.

To answer your other questions -

Partly surprised by the findings, I expected more of a geopgraphical bias in some ways, and surprised by some of the posts on here, in some cases pleasantly and in others not so much.

- 'By extension, are you suggesting IQ tests'....... Oh please, spare me the paranoid accusations. I'm suggesting NOTHING, I put the thing up for debate and you and others can suggest anything you want. It's afree country.. well, at least for a few more months anyway.

- Yes I am one of the people with a good IQ (last time I had to take a test anyway was in the top 10 per cent) who never went to Uni. DONT ASSUME !

- The news item was interesting in many, many ways other than the obvious ones. One thing it shows is how we can all be categorised, analysed and put into compartments by where you live. A little worrying, that.

Also, to Fatboysteve - yes, we do have a lot of crap to put up with as you say but everything is relative and whilst there are many things that stink about living in England under a selfish and corrupt Tory government, we are still better off living here than in 90-95 per cent of the rest of the world. What do you want us to do about it - turn Britain into Syria ?

Final thoughts on the referendum vote - as one poster said, it was also the richer country areas that voted Leave, often the 'Tally Ho' brigade who may have had some form of education but are often lacking in morals and humanity.

Maybe the thread should be called voter education?

Anyway.....the decision has been made for whatever reasons and we just have to get on with it

Thanks for trying to dictate what a thread is called... you are allowed to start your own, you know.

Al;so, we DONT have to get on with it - the referendum was an advisory vote, and those that wish to can campaign legally and loudly in many ways against the deceit and manipulation that went on prior to the vote with rubbish like the bus adverts.

Can I suggest you find a few minutes to read a copy or two of the weekly 'European' newspaper which gives many interesting insights into Brexit and what has gone on since. It's a brilliant, stimulating centrist publication (actually a little too right-wing in places for my liking, but so are Diane Abbott and Denis Skinner: smile:).

At £2 a copy it might be money well spent to show you that a large number of people are not going to just 'give up and get on with it'.

I'm grammar school educated, no degree and from a fairly affluent area but I spoilt my ballot. Not sure where the BBC pigeon hole me based on these facts.

I found the observation that Brexit would never have been passed if voters were required to put anything more than an 'X' on their voting slip very amusing.....not that it has anything to do with this thread or that I agree with it in any way... just amusing.

Archived