onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Voter intelligence

Bea Smith

Advert

I dont blame you mr bookworm, its both surprising and worrying users like that can stay on here for 10 years.

How do you ignore people can anyone tell me please :)

Hi.

Click on the person you wish to ignore and you will get a view profile option. Click on that and you will get an option to Add to ignore list.

Admittedly my time as a student was the mid 80s and I get that pre 60s70s it was much harder but doing night shifts as a security guard then going to lectures was no fun. Weekends were for catching up on sleep. It was my decision and I don't expect nor want any sympathy but I would never have managed it without that work. living in a mould ridden s**t hole helped..it was cheap and had the bonus of being above a chip shop owned by the landlord..he let us have some scraps on a regular basis:) Looking back it was enjoyable..mainly cos of the challenge it all presented.

My summer jobs were at PVH engineering in Milton....i still remember the pint of cider in the Foxley every Friday !)

My point is that lack of parental money is something that can be got around it does not have to be a barrier to higher education. Yes there are many from poorer backgrounds who for many reasons would be unable to take on work to support themselves and they should get extra help but as I said I knew many who were supporting themselves the majority were not..they were supported by their families.

Those were the days, when I left school I was working 7 days a week for the princely sum of 3 pounds 2 shillings and 6 pence,i gave mum the 3 pounds and the 2/6 was mine all mine.:innocent06:

I voted for Brexit. At 58 I have the entire history of UK membership in my mind. I am educated to MA level and hold several professional qualifications including being an accountant. I would observe firstly that more older people voted to leave. To look at the logistics of older people, when I was 18 10% or less of the UK population went to university. That was the volume of places available. Today it is 40% plus. So the higher education argument of remain voters does not hold water because older voters could not go to university. That doesn't make them less intelligent. I would also observe that it may be that far more "educated" people voted remain, but it must be the case that a significant minority, like me, voted leave. Leave could not otherwise have won.

I voted for Brexit. At 58 I have the entire history of UK membership in my mind. I am educated to MA level and hold several professional qualifications including being an accountant. I would observe firstly that more older people voted to leave. To look at the logistics of older people, when I was 18 10% or less of the UK population went to university. That was the volume of places available. Today it is 40% plus. So the higher education argument of remain voters does not hold water because older voters could not go to university. That doesn't make them less intelligent. I would also observe that it may be that far more "educated" people voted remain, but it must be the case that a significant minority, like me, voted leave. Leave could not otherwise have won.

As you are an educated man who voted Leave could you please give your vision of what the consequences of the Leave result are likely to be and say whether or not those results are what you were or are hoping for? I mean in the longer term such as 20-30 years because obviously the short term effects in the next 5-7 years won't have such a great impact.

Just for clarity I'm also in my 50's and university educated and I voted Remain. However, I genuinely fear none of us are likely to get what we wanted from our votes.

Half a crown would be twelve and a half pence in today's money.In 1966 a pint of beer was 10p and a gallon of petrol was 26p.

I passed my driving test in 1966, bought my first car (for £35!) and at 18 yrs of age, was also officially allowed to drink. I still have a I kept diary from those days and kept a record of my spending. Petrol (Shell) was 3 shillings a gallon (15p) a cheaper garage sold it at 2/11d (14.5p)and beer (Double Diamond in the Crown & Anchor, Hanley) 1/6d pint (7.5p!)Incidentally, as I also smoked in those days, 10 Benson & Hedges were 2/6d (12.5p) Those were the days eh?

SourceOfTheTrent As you are an educated man who voted Leave could you please give your vision of what the consequences of the Leave result are likely to be and say whether or not those results are what you were or are hoping for? I mean in the longer term such as 20-30 years because obviously the short term effects in the next 5-7 years won't have such a great impact.Just for clarity I'm also in my 50's and university educated and I voted Remain. However, I genuinely fear none of us are likely to get what we wanted from our votes.

Equally may I ask you to please give your vision of what the consequences of what a remain result would likely have been and say whether or not those results are what you were or are hoping for? I mean in the longer term such as 20-30 years because obviously the short term effects in the next 5-7 years won't have such a great impact.

This is a door that swings both ways.

I voted remain largely for the somewhat nebulous reason that I ultimately believe in the EU as a good thing and so we should be part of it. Also I did not believe we would get the benefits that the leave campaign were claiming we would in the short and long term and ultimately large employers using us as an EU base would be enticed to leave the UK and take up residence in a country still in the EU so ultimatley the UK working population would lose out and therefore all of us would lose out

As a masters educated person with an accountancy qualification, I cannot for the life of me understand why you voted for Brexit. Surely you could have foreseen what is beginning to happen already; inflation rampant, inward investment down and company's such as Vauxhall now unlikely to be part of the British economy and with that scenario, many more lost manufacturing jobs.

Sadly, I fear that the economic pain is only just beginning and all this through self-inflicted suffering. And, please don't start telling me that the economy has done better than all the doom & gloom mongers predicted--it has--but it's still very much the short-term position because we're not yet out of the EU and the single market!

I'm not trying to re-run the whole referendum debate, but for goodness sake, please don't give us all this "educated v non-educated" claptrap. We are where we are and we all need to get on with making the best of what IMO was a very bad decision. I'm more than 10 yrs older than you, but we are both of a generation that will not be too badly affected. My main fears are for our children & grandchildren, especially in a world of uncertainty, given the goings on in, Russia, Turkey, North Korea, China and that barmpot Trump in America.

As a masters educated person with an accountancy qualification, I cannot for the life of me understand why you voted for Brexit. Surely you could have foreseen what is beginning to happen already; inflation rampant, inward investment down and company's such as Vauxhall now unlikely to be part of the British economy and with that scenario, many more lost manufacturing jobs.

Short term effects ..surely it's the next 20-30+ years that counts and obviously we simply don't know. To say Brexit is proved (my words) as a bad thing cos of what';s happened when we haven't even left yet and it's been less than 12 months since the vote makes no sense. There was bound to be short term issues cos of the uncertainty during the exit period but that does not necessarily mean that will continue once we have left..that will depend on the terms of our exit.

Don't get me wrong, I think ultimately we will suffer but what's happened since the vote isn't proof that we will..it's a short term response to uncertainty and no proof that us remainers were right.

When we went decimal way back, the line was we have designed the use of the half pence to accommodate price rises? when prices go up today its 10p or more that's 2 shillings, I remember paying a electric bill in the showroom in Johns square, it was something and half a p they rounded it up when I asked why the reply came "we are rounding things up this week", funny I never seemed to pay my bill the week they rounded it down. There was butter mountains, wine lakes etc. French farmer subsidies, the farmers even stopping and destroying our veg and meat lorries coming off the ferries...this is what the older voters remember, and that's why they got off their arses and voted the way they did. In a democracy you can vote for or against things, but and its a big but you abide by the vote, not go moaning because you've lost. I've just seen Blair on tv leading a demand for a 2nd vote (he should be in prison as a war criminal,) Brexit is a first we are finding our way, no one knows whats coming so its expect the worse but hope for the best, it will be hard going because the eu don't want anyone else leaving although France, German, elections are due later this year, Italy and Greece are close to ditching the euro. The govt. will do their best for the country by getting the best deal for us, all we can do is back it and keep the faith...

I am like u in terms of age and experience of eu membership the significant difference is I didn't vote I shredded my voting card and when I watch the news and see that well known War Criminal Tony Blair trying to change the democratic vote. We need to put Blair in prison and pursue this scam called BREXIT to the bitter end !

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-38996179

Why is he saying that only Remianers are pro-European? I honestly thought we'd moved on from that and accepted that a lot of Brexiteers whilst anti-EU are not anti-Europe..you can be anti-EU and not anti-Europe,

"But this issue is the single most important decision this country has taken since the Second World War and debate can't now be shut down about it."

We had the debate Tony and us Remainers lost it.

Archived