onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Transfer Window: Vale ins, outs, rumours etc...

robf

So the money we received yesterday, was used to sign players last year?

:wacko:

Quite possibly. He invested in players and got a return on his investment yesterday. Smurf gets asked to invest in players which he does by inflating the playing budget with his own money (loans etc, it's still an investment vehicle no matter anyone's thoughts on it). At some point we realise those investments. That's what we did yesterday, no matter how good/bad the deals are (I would say bad).

I'm not happy with what we've done the last few days. The late 2 signings seem desperate and clearly we missed on our main targets. But to say that money will just end up in Smurf's back pocket is wrong.

Advert

Valeparklife - No he's saying that our chairman/owner had previously stumped up cash to pay for those players, so how/why are you so adamant that you know for a fact that the money the club received yesterday will not be spent on players in the summer (transfer fees or wages)? The simple answer is, you don't know, nobody knows - hell I imagine Norman has thoughts on what he will do with it, but even he doesn't know for a fact what will happen in the summer, until this season is over.

It's just another opportunity to have a go. How do you know the MB isn't happy with the players signed, and whilst we were looking/discussing options with other players, these weren't also prime targets for him rather than last minute panic deals?

The Celtic keeper gets some good reviews/comments/write-ups, and many expect him to challenge for the first team very soon. The older heads that have been brought into the squad, are the type of players people were constantly banging on about vale needing, yet now we have them, they moan like mad.

Yes unfortunately we haven't strengthened all areas fully, but at least MB, and the chairman have done something to improve matters. Unfortunately a number of 'fans' on this forum don't want to acknowledge positives, they just want to slate and berate before these new lads have kicked a ball, abs have yet another pop at the chairman with their 'facts'.

Yes we've been pretty crap the first half of the season with some good, but the majority poor team performances. MB appears to be addressing this, and Norman looks to be supporting him in doing this. Let's see how we go from here.

We must have a lot of fans who used to be involved with various governments reviews into psychic abilities, as they seem to be able to read minds to get all these 'facts'......

Having slept on it all I can say is I think time ran out on us. Alnwick's move came about over the space of about a week and finding a replacement goalkeeper was obviously much harder than expected with a few bids for more experienced ones turned down. This Celtic lad looks a decent punt as their fans seem to think he has potential and at least he's come from a British club.

Pugh is very underwhelming. A player I've never rated even when he was at Leeds and Stoke. Very much a steady eddie at the time who had grit and determination but lacked the quality to be a good player at Championship level. Since then he has simply become a steady lower level player whose time seemed to have run out playing league football at any good standard until we've picked him up. All I can hope is he's been signed as a squad player and to help bring a bit of leadership because he is a 'captain' and we don't have any of them in the squad at all. However I presume he'll go straight into the side in place of Grant in the centre to add a cover for the back four. If that's the case I have a big question mark over his ability to do that and wonder if De Freitas would be a much better option. We shall see.

As for the QPR lads both look promising with the winger in particular being highly rated. So we'll see.

Can't imagine Pugh is here for anything else but cover. Surely when Foley is fit, then he drops back in to midfield with Guy.

Valeparklife - No he's saying that our chairman/owner had previously stumped up cash to pay for those players, so how/why are you so adamant that you know for a fact that the money the club received yesterday will not be spent on players in the summer (transfer fees or wages)? The simple answer is, you don't know, nobody knows - hell I imagine Norman has thoughts on what he will do with it, but even he doesn't know for a fact what will happen in the summer, until this season is over.

It's just another opportunity to have a go. How do you know the MB isn't happy with the players signed, and whilst we were looking/discussing options with other players, these weren't also prime targets for him rather than last minute panic deals?

The Celtic keeper gets some good reviews/comments/write-ups, and many expect him to challenge for the first team very soon. The older heads that have been brought into the squad, are the type of players people were constantly banging on about vale needing, yet now we have them, they moan like mad.

Yes unfortunately we haven't strengthened all areas fully, but at least MB, and the chairman have done something to improve matters. Unfortunately a number of 'fans' on this forum don't want to acknowledge positives, they just want to slate and berate before these new lads have kicked a ball, abs have yet another pop at the chairman with their 'facts'.

Yes we've been pretty crap the first half of the season with some good, but the majority poor team performances. MB appears to be addressing this, and Norman looks to be supporting him in doing this. Let's see how we go from here.

We must have a lot of fans who used to be involved with various governments reviews into psychic abilities, as they seem to be able to read minds to get all these 'facts'......

If Danny Pugh and a Celtic youth keeper were MB's primary targets then we're done for.

Quite possibly. He invested in players and got a return on his investment yesterday. Smurf gets asked to invest in players which he does by inflating the playing budget with his own money (loans etc, it's still an investment vehicle no matter anyone's thoughts on it). At some point we realise those investments. That's what we did yesterday, no matter how good/bad the deals are (I would say bad).

I'm not happy with what we've done the last few days. The late 2 signings seem desperate and clearly we missed on our main targets. But to say that money will just end up in Smurf's back pocket is wrong.

Smurf said the club is in good financial condition so why over-inflate the playing budget? The point of a budget is it's a set amount to spend. Anything over that is placing yourself in unnecessary debt.

I agree with you regarding our deadline, it wasn't great. We got a superb deal for Grant so credit to Smurf there, but then we needed to replace him properly (Pugh isn't that man).

Ok, lets see how much of that £350k goes on transfer fees in the next year.

Reckon this Celtic keeper might be a good shout seeing as MB has a history of bringing in decent young lads.

Not sure on Pugh, cant help but feel we have better players in the squad currently with ADF, Amaros, Perira, Foley, Guy, QPR lad all playing centre mid. Would have liked to have seen a centre half come in as cover personally but Im right behind Browny!

Having slept on it all I can say is I think time ran out on us. Alnwick's move came about over the space of about a week and finding a replacement goalkeeper was obviously much harder than expected with a few bids for more experienced ones turned down. This Celtic lad looks a decent punt as their fans seem to think he has potential and at least he's come from a British club.

Pugh is very underwhelming. A player I've never rated even when he was at Leeds and Stoke. Very much a steady eddie at the time who had grit and determination but lacked the quality to be a good player at Championship level. Since then he has simply become a steady lower level player whose time seemed to have run out playing league football at any good standard until we've picked him up. All I can hope is he's been signed as a squad player and to help bring a bit of leadership because he is a 'captain' and we don't have any of them in the squad at all. However I presume he'll go straight into the side in place of Grant in the centre to add a cover for the back four. If that's the case I have a big question mark over his ability to do that and wonder if De Freitas would be a much better option. We shall see.

As for the QPR lads both look promising with the winger in particular being highly rated. So we'll see.

the quintessential british club .

Brown took over as the trouble shooter, in the first month or so has managed to stabilize, started clearing the decks, and bringing in an emergency crew. With more time he will bring in a mixture of permanent staff and good quality loanees for next season. In the meantime he has to steer the ship to safety and needs all our support.

Brown too has my full support and I'm 100% sure he wanted to do more business yesterday but must have got knocked back a few times (well, a few dozen times!)

Certainly we look much better going forward and with the two young lads from QPR, one of whom I think is a quick winger, we are starting to look more potent up top. And with a stronger, more attack-minded bench.

The worry is from a defensive angle. We'll miss our dog-of-war and Alnwick has had an outstanding season. The goalie is another inexperienced player and we didn't replace Grant yesterday. Losing him and Taylor leaves us with an even more inexperienced team. It looks like Pugh came here to help out his old mate and give us a bit of guile but I'm still disappointed with yesterday and slightly worried now from a defensive viewpoint.

Fingers crossed we can get across the line to the magical 50 point mark.

Experience. Experience. Experience.

Taylor had experience, sure, but was he actually any good for us? I wouldn't say he was anything better than bang average despite his experience and the fact that he's played at the top level. Martin Patersen was massively experienced, but ultimately was toss and wasn't good enough.

Archived