onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

A question to smurf

Say what you like but we have missed a big, physical target man like Pope big style.

To say he isn't a proven scorer at this level is daft, but goals apart what you are forgetting is his overall contribution to the team - his experience and know-how, his never say die attitude and 100% commitment in wearing the shirt, his ability to hold up the ball and move us up the pitch, his aerial ability in both boxes, his sheer physical presence in creating space for others. Need I go on? You can't name a single player in our squad of 35 who has all those attributes - not one.

In terms of his all-round contribution to the team he was a big loss. Anyone who has ever played football to a reasonable level will tell you how important players like him are to the team, even just sitting in the changing rooms beforehand, looking around you and contemplating the battle ahead.

It's daft to call him a proven scorer at this level. As he ain't one. I thought he was really poor in the season he left, excellent before that but poor in that season. I do agree about his impact off field though

Advert

It's daft to call him a proven scorer at this level. As he ain't one. I thought he was really poor in the season he left, excellent before that but poor in that season. I do agree about his impact off field though

Depends I suppose what you mean by a proven goalscorer. Pope has scored 57 goals in League One (in 209 games). Doesn't that show that he is a proven scorer at this level? He might not be as prolific as you or I would like but if one of our forwards chipped in with 12 goals this season and did all the additional things that he does I'd take that like a shot. Like I say, there's no-one in our entire squad with his all round capabilities and that's been proven by our awful stats in creating and scoring goals.

Depends I suppose what you mean by a proven goalscorer. Pope has scored 57 goals in League One (in 209 games). Doesn't that show that he is a proven scorer at this level? He might not be as prolific as you or I would like but if one of our forwards chipped in with 12 goals this season and did all the additional things that he does I'd take that like a shot. Like I say, there's no-one in our entire squad with his all round capabilities and that's been proven by our awful stats in creating and scoring goals.

It was a long time ago in football career terms and with other sides. Time to look forward not back.

I admire your optimism and sentiments, and I too will be there supporting whoever puts a black & white shirt over his head at 6.45 but I'm not as hopeful as you as I'm struggling to find many positives at the moment.

Will the ground be open at 6.45?:smile:

I think Smurf is waiting for Bruno to resign and then he will claim that it wasn't his fault that the team and support is sinking fast.Brown will then be blamed because Smurf turned to him for advice when appointing a manager. Whatever it will not be Smurfs fault.

:clap::clap:like a certain Micky Adams too!!

You need to forget about him,he's history now.I really appreciate his contribution to our club but his 8 league goals in 48 appearances for Bury says he's now past his best and we need to move on.

You need to forget about him,he's history now.I really appreciate his contribution to our club but his 8 league goals in 48 appearances for Bury says he's now past his best and we need to move on.

Yes, I accept that. You're right. My concern was to try and point out, that in my view, we've never replaced him fully as we tend to forget his all round contribution to the team. Not just his goals record but all the other many attributes he had that we have never replaced since he left. We need someone like him again. Perhaps Forester can grow into that role.

Yes, I accept that. You're right. My concern was to try and point out, that in my view, we've never replaced him fully as we tend to forget his all round contribution to the team. Not just his goals record but all the other many attributes he had that we have never replaced since he left. We need someone like him again. Perhaps Forester can grow into that role.

I hope so but Popey has a big advantage in that he was a local lad who was Vale fan and that goes down well with the locals.

Here we go again.
Yes and until a better front man is signed then it will continue to irk a good few on here. For anyone to compare Alex Jones with Tom is a complete joke. They are chalk and cheese and both would have complimented each other.

Alex is a goal poacher and not a lad capable of playing alone up front due to his lack of height.

Say what you like but we have missed a big, physical target man like Pope big style.

To say he isn't a proven scorer at this level is daft, but goals apart what you are forgetting is his overall contribution to the team - his experience and know-how, his never say die attitude and 100% commitment in wearing the shirt, his ability to hold up the ball and move us up the pitch, his aerial ability in both boxes, his sheer physical presence in creating space for others. Need I go on? You can't name a single player in our squad of 35 who has all those attributes - not one.

In terms of his all-round contribution to the team he was a big loss. Anyone who has ever played football to a reasonable level will tell you how important players like him are to the team, even just sitting in the changing rooms beforehand, looking around you and contemplating the battle ahead.

Don't waste your breath fellow Sage they either can't see what you are quite correctly saying or are being rather silly.

To plough a lone furrow you need a big 'un.

Yes and until a better front man is signed then it will continue to irk a good few on here. For anyone to compare Alex Jones with Tom is a complete joke. They are chalk and cheese and both would have complimented each other.

Alex is a goal poacher and not a lad capable of playing alone up front due to his lack of height.

Someone on the Paterson thread said that he and Jones would make a good partnership.Popes' goals have been replaced by Ajay last season and Alex this season.Plus ,I don't have a stiff neck anymore.

Archived