onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Bruno.

TylerB

Did you go to Bradford or Peterborough, Mr H? Perhaps they weren't wins, but I thought they were very hard earned, enjoyable points against 2 top 10 sides.

The points on the board are brilliant so far and the football on offer has been a pleasure.

However, dont rewrite history in stating the 90 minutes against Bradford was 'enjoyable'.

It was an absolutely dire match in which we were very resolute defensively and offering nothing up top.

Eight games in and we are a world away from that kind of performance and that is full credit to the management team.

Advert

Innis was a loan player, wasn't he, as was Ichpeazu. I don't think he was a poor manager at all. Best home record in decades, some of the best football seen since Rudge, took us to penalties against WBA having beaten Burnley the round before, still in with a shout of the play-offs with 3 games left to play. On the negative side, FA Cup, I agree with you regarding his use of incoming loan players, he often failed to change a game with his subs and he could be technically naive, but on the balance of things I don't think you could call him 'poor'. Occasionally misguided but promising seems fairer.

Anyway, this should be about Bruno, not the previous manager.

You will find that is people dont rate someone they will find fault. Bruno is being lorded for playing our loan player Alex Jones but then we also have Sam Hart on loan from Liverpool who has hardly featured.

I thought Page was developing and his tactical decisions, especially substitutions, seemed to improve throughout the season. The poor treatment from Smurf has been widely discussed and Im sure it was better for all parties that Page moved on.

Bruno has managed to get an improvement in the team game after game. Early in the season i felt we were lucky to get results but now we are good value for the points. The work he and the management team have done with the team in the time so far is very encouraging. Im looking forward to seeing how much more improvement we will see in the weeks and months to come.

You will find that is people dont rate someone they will find fault. Bruno is being lorded for playing our loan player Alex Jones but then we also have Sam Hart on loan from Liverpool who has hardly featured.

I thought Page was developing and his tactical decisions, especially substitutions, seemed to improve throughout the season. The poor treatment from Smurf has been widely discussed and Im sure it was better for all parties that Page moved on.

Bruno has managed to get an improvement in the team game after game. Early in the season i felt we were lucky to get results but now we are good value for the points. The work he and the management team have done with the team in the time so far is very encouraging. Im looking forward to seeing how much more improvement we will see in the weeks and months to come.

With regards to Hart, I don't think any manager in their right mind would drop Knops at the minute in the form he's in. He's also been injured for weeks and has only just returned to reserve team action

I do believe that Page was a much better manager than some like to admit and we were still playing exciting flowing football right in to April (remember the wins against Crewe, Gillingham and Rochdale?) despite what some on here like to say. I found him to be a decent man and a promising manager who was treated disgracefully by the chairman and some supporters and I wish him well.

I wouldn't call it 'exciting flowing football', like I say I didn't like Page but position wise he did a half decent job but I certainly never saw a great amount of 'exciting flowing football' aside from the odd game or 2? Unfortunately Page shot his bolt with Norman with his frankly stupid comments at Exeter about us punching above our weight, after that I think Norman was quite right to get rid of him our performances in the cup were a shocker and Maidenhead at home had my blood boiling! The games you mention Crewe were dire I said to someone after that match I laugh at Crewe(as we all do) when they are doing badly but that was one of the worst Crewe sides I've seen in the last 20 years, normally they've at least given us a good match even when we've won but they rolled over and had their belly tickled by most sides last season I'd have been annoyed had we not beaten them! I'll agree with you we played Rochdale off the park that day which was one of the more entertaining games last season, I didn't go to Gills so can't comment! Other than that I can honestly say I was bored stiff with some of the offerings from Vale last season despite the home record, it was not good football.

Page may turn out a good manager but for me he's far too negative and sets up not to lose rather than win a game outright!

??? Page never played him!!

Yep that's the age-old debate. Was Page right to let Nathan Smith go out on loan and develop ready for the first-team this season or should he have picked him earlier? I would argue that the loan move was essential for Smith's development. Moving away from his home environment, learning how to be a first-choice player and taking more responsibility - he learnt all that and more.

It's the same argument with Andoh. Was Page was right to allow him time to adopt to League One training and conditions and not rush him (we've seen other players fast-tracked into the first-team and fail - Ryan Brown, Levi Reid, James Lawrie etc)? Or was he too cautious?

I guess it's a cup half-full/half-empty argument - either...

a. Page was right to allow players time. (Hooper praised him for not rushing him) and by not rushing them in he's actually helped develop them and given them a better chance.

b. Page was simply too cautious and should have fast-tracked the likes of Andoh and Smith in far earlier.

I suspect personally it's a bit of both. Page was cautious (perhaps overly so) but I also think he was right not to rush players in for the sake of it. Smith has arguably come back a different player and it would have been difficult to pick the "pre-Torquay loan" Smith as he needed that loan experience to be ready for League One...

What's been somewhat surprising is that the team still has a very British feel. Bruno is clearly no fool and knows full well to succeed over here you need that British spine in the side. I think there's so much more tom come from the likes of Amoros, Pereira, Shalaj and Cicilia, and that obviously only bodes well for the side.

The points on the board are brilliant so far and the football on offer has been a pleasure.

However, dont rewrite history in stating the 90 minutes against Bradford was 'enjoyable'.

It was an absolutely dire match in which we were very resolute defensively and offering nothing up top.

Eight games in and we are a world away from that kind of performance and that is full credit to the management team.

I enjoyed the fact we got stuck into them, as I feared after going to several of the pre season games that we would get hammered 4 or 5 nil there. I know it's easy to be wise after the event, but you say we are a world away from that kind of performance. Having gone to Bristol yesterday, I think you are right!

The trouble with you Mr h is that you're a bit too nice. It's not a bad thing, but in football you've got to be a bit ruthless. Sure, page is a nice guy and we had one or two really good performances, especially at home. The problem is, he would have meandered again this season playing the safe card and finishing in mid table and he'd do the same next season and the one after that. Although I don't support smurfs method of forcing page out, I can kind of understand it. He's a businessman and has seen that there's not enough hunger in page and the lines between manager and one of the lads had become blurred. He'd also got a list of favourite players who he would have continued to play this season and wouldn't get us anywhere.

I don't wish the guy ill, but I never rated him and I'd be amazed if he makes it any higher than where he is now.

I wouldn't knock Smurf for finding a way to move Page on but he should have kept it to himself. It's makes him seem a bit of a thug and will also put other prospective employees/partners/buyers, you name it, off doing business with us.

I personally was disgusted by Smurf's actions towards Rob Page and the out of contract players, all an employee can ask of an employer is to be fair and decent, his actions were neither.

I'm a doubter and am still not convinced by Bruno but it's early days, however, I've been both surprised and pleased with the points gained.

A major test for Smurf/Bruno (in addition to maintaing the current lge position) will be to replace the likes of Smith/Grant/Foley/Purkiss/Streete/Jones if any should leave 'cause with the exception of Jones, Thomas and perhaps Tavares, the quality of the 14 or so new signings is no better than the players at Vale Park under Rop Page.

Is Bruno more/less tactically astute than Rop Page, again for me the jury is out. Playing with an isolated striker at home and away asks much of the lone striker and usually leads to fewer goals scored, Alex Jones and goals from defenders have saved the day so far and let's hope it continues.

I personally was disgusted by Smurf's actions towards Rob Page and the out of contract players, all an employee can ask of an employer is to be fair and decent, his actions were neither.

Where were the industrial tribunals?

The players contracts were at an end and they were offered what they were worth, none of them are hardly pulling up any trees elsewhere are they?

Instead of sacking a dour manager and having to pay compo he actually received compensation for our club so that was just very ruthless business in a ruthless industry which benefited our club.

A major test for Smurf/Bruno (in addition to maintaing the current lge position) will be to replace the likes of Smith/Grant/Foley/Purkiss/Streete/Jones if any should leave 'cause with the exception of Jones, Thomas and perhaps Tavares, the quality of the 14 or so new signings is no better than the players at Vale Park under Rop Page.

Knopps > Dickinson

Amoros and Perira > Birchall and Lloyd

Forrester > Hooper

Cicilia > Robinson

Cecilia better than Robinson, are you sure? 73 goals in 299 appearances for Robinson, all in the football league, including 2 in 14 for vale.

You clearly haven't seen either of them play in the last 6 months! Are you seriously telling me you would re-sign Robinson and release Reg? :laugh:

Then again I'm sure you'd possibly love the good old days of Perry, Glover and Lawrie too!

Archived