onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Bruno.

TylerB

The good thing is we aren't really firing on all cylinders yet but are performing much better than I expected with all the changes. I can only see us getting better once we've settled and a few tweaks here and there take there course. I must admit I was very apprehensive before the season started but very optimistic now and enjoying the football again.

That's the most exciting part. I think we look great at home, & pretty good away for the most part, but the fact we're doing well & I feel we're still not quite there yet, is exactly what a team looking to get promoted should be like IMO. We've peaked far too early many a time in recent years, but hopefully this time it will be different.

Advert

I was doubtful before the season about Bruno, mainly because of his management record before he came to the Vale but he's won me over. So far, the signs are he's putting together a really good side despite all the difficulties of having virtually a whole new squad with a fair few foreign players, most of whom would know diddly squat about the EFL. The things I like about him are his tactical awareness, his game management, his preparation of the players, his use of subs and, above all, his willingness to take a chance on players whose potential he has recognised.

The other thing thing that stands out for me is his willingness to take the blame for defeats. He doesn't single out the players individually and usually owns up if he believes he got it wrong. He also comes across as a really nice, though not soft, bloke. I bet the players both like and respect him and so far are clearly willing to play for him.

I think we're in for a great season but even if it doesn't turn out quite as we expect, I'm sure it will be really enjoyable. As Beechy said in his opener, c'mon Bruno - we are all behind you.

For me page already seems a distant memory and I cant wait for him to bring his team to the park cus if managers are complaining about hostility from the lorne street fans its going to be a lot louder for Pages return. .Bruno has put the buzz back in and im loving it.

Bruno already seems more tactically astute than Page. I thought we were stuffed after pre season which was dire, but Bruno has addressed all the shortcomings, especially in defence, within an impressive time frame.

However the foundations for Nathan Smith's progress were very much laid under page

??? Page never played him!!

For me page already seems a distant memory and I cant wait for him to bring his team to the park cus if managers are complaining about hostility from the lorne street fans its going to be a lot louder for Pages return. .Bruno has put the buzz back in and im loving it.

Christ. I'll probably get accused of being a Page lover (or something equally pathetic, as usual) but are you really looking forward to Page's return so you can dish out a load of abuse?

Anyway, it's difficult for me to comment on Bruno as I've only been able to make away games so far, and have yet to see his side put in a decent performance. Then again, I didn't from Page either until I made it down for some home matches. Results (at home) look very promising and whilst I do think RP would have given Smith his chance, I'm not sure he'd have done the same with Alex Jones. I really thought we'd struggle this season and am thrilled to be proven wrong (so far) and look forward to making it down to Vale Park when finances and time allows.

I do believe that Page was a much better manager than some like to admit and we were still playing exciting flowing football right in to April (remember the wins against Crewe, Gillingham and Rochdale?) despite what some on here like to say. I found him to be a decent man and a promising manager who was treated disgracefully by the chairman and some supporters and I wish him well.

Christ. I'll probably get accused of being a Page lover (or something equally pathetic, as usual) but are you really looking forward to Page's return so you can dish out a load of abuse?

Anyway, it's difficult for me to comment on Bruno as I've only been able to make away games so far, and have yet to see his side put in a decent performance. Then again, I didn't from Page either until I made it down for some home matches. Results (at home) look very promising and whilst I do think RP would have given Smith his chance, I'm not sure he'd have done the same with Alex Jones. I really thought we'd struggle this season and am thrilled to be proven wrong (so far) and look forward to making it down to Vale Park when finances and time allows.

I do believe that Page was a much better manager than some like to admit and we were still playing exciting flowing football right in to April (remember the wins against Crewe, Gillingham and Rochdale?) despite what some on here like to say. I found him to be a decent man and a promising manager who was treated disgracefully by the chairman and some supporters and I wish him well.

I agree that he was treated disgracefully by Smurf but that doesn't detract from the fact that he is a cautious and tactically naïve manager. Why he bothers to sign anyone on loan is beyond me, he certainly does sweet FA for their careers just look at JJ as the latest case in point.

No abuse from me but he is a poor manager.

Innis was a loan player, wasn't he, as was Ichpeazu. I don't think he was a poor manager at all. Best home record in decades, some of the best football seen since Rudge, took us to penalties against WBA having beaten Burnley the round before, still in with a shout of the play-offs with 3 games left to play. On the negative side, FA Cup, I agree with you regarding his use of incoming loan players, he often failed to change a game with his subs and he could be technically naive, but on the balance of things I don't think you could call him 'poor'. Occasionally misguided but promising seems fairer.

Anyway, this should be about Bruno, not the previous manager.

The trouble with you Mr h is that you're a bit too nice. It's not a bad thing, but in football you've got to be a bit ruthless. Sure, page is a nice guy and we had one or two really good performances, especially at home. The problem is, he would have meandered again this season playing the safe card and finishing in mid table and he'd do the same next season and the one after that. Although I don't support smurfs method of forcing page out, I can kind of understand it. He's a businessman and has seen that there's not enough hunger in page and the lines between manager and one of the lads had become blurred. He'd also got a list of favourite players who he would have continued to play this season and wouldn't get us anywhere.

I don't wish the guy ill, but I never rated him and I'd be amazed if he makes it any higher than where he is now.

Page did ok as the Vale manager based upon the hand he was dealt. He seemed a decent man but he played safe. The football on the whole was dour but effective to some extent. I went to watch Vale out of sheer loyalty not out of excitement or expectation. The Bruno Revolution might be quelled but I am enjoying going to see my team play. I look forward to the game. Bruno must take credit for this. He makes brave decisions and accepts responsibility. I wish Page well and thank him for the honest effort he put in whilst with us. Smurf didn't handle Page in an honourable way but he has been very brave in bringing in Bruno and along with the manager transforming the squad. I hope we are on the cusp of a second Rudge era. I am excited by the pure anticipation of it all. Up the Vale.

Archived