onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Slovakia v England

For Us All

I disagree. Kane needed support and Rooney was supposed to provide that. Instead he seemed to want to play very deep, isolating an already short of confidence Kane.

Only when Alli came on did we start to exert some pressure, because he provided the link between the midfield and attack that Rooney should have been providing, and was willing to run at their defence.

If Rooney is going to play where he did, then one of Henderson or Dier shouldn't have started. But Sam said that Rooney would play a more advanced role and he simply did not do that.

We'll have to agree to disagree.

A 4-5-1 away from home with two defensive midfield players in Dier and Henderson is set up to keep everything tight, not to concede and come away with a least a point. It is the job of all 3 players behind Kane to support Kane when they can either as a one, two or three. Rooney as well as the other two come deep to defend and to create a 4-5-1 and also to pick up the ball and in Rooney's case to use his range of passing.

England started to exert more pressure when Slovakia went down to 10 men and dropped even deeper. Allardyce bought on Ali to replace Henderson (no need for two defensive midfield players with Slovakia down to 10 men) and Ali played behind Kane but it still didn't work 'cause he took Kane off and bought Sturridge on. Kane looks a little out of form but he took a beating from Skrtel.

It was a solid performance by England, got the result required with Rooney the fulchrum and orchestrator of the team.

Advert

Interesting how two people can see the same game differently.

It was supposed to be 4-2-3-1 not 4-5-1. 4-5-1 with 65% possession makes no sense to me.

What happened was that it ended up turning into a sort of 4-3-2-1 because the supposed central attacking midfielder (Rooney) dropped back for absolutely no reason, as Slovakia were no threat whatsoever. His passes were also ineffective, nothing incisive, just moving the ball left and right. At no point in the game did I ever feel Rooney was going to do something special to turn the match in our favour.

When Alli came on, we then had the 4-2-3-1 we should have had throughout the match, with Dier and Rooney being the two deep lying midfielders, and Lallana, Sterling and Alli the more attacking trio.

In the end when England were looking for the win, it wasn't Rooney that was leading the charge, it was Stones, who several times brought the ball out of defence into attacking midfield positions to try and create an overload situation.

Somebody in this thread asked earlier if Henderson had started. He wasn't so noticeable because his job was being done by someone who should have been further upfield. It also meant that Lallana had to cover more ground to at least try to provide support to the striker, because Sterling was content to occupy the wings.

We never looked like we were going to concede (although the chance they had in the first half was a bit too close for comfort) and we had a good level of possession, so in that respect it was solid enough. But what concerns me is that we really did very little with the possession we had. We got a lucky break at the end when we decided to go gung-ho and it seems that the end result has papered over some pretty wide cracks.

Rooney was poor today and not the first time recently in an england shirt. He was far too deep and many of his passes were poor. He's started ok in the league but so has dele Alli and he is a better option in that position. Also thought rose didn't play as well as he has done. Kane will start scoring soon, he had a slow start last year.

Interesting how two people can see the same game differently.

It was supposed to be 4-2-3-1 not 4-5-1. 4-5-1.

Vanta, 4-2-3-1 (2 defensive midfield with 3 attacking midfield further forward) when England have possession and fluid to a 4-5-1 when they don't have the ball. It wasn't a 4-4-1-1.

There is an article on the BBC website in which Allardyce says Rooney played a little deeper than anticipated but for me he ran the game from there.

Rooney didn't run anything. In the first off he gave the ball away with some terrible passing more than anybody on the pitch, and although he was a bit better second half he did nothing of note other than one pass which was flagged for offside. I've been of a fan of Rooney in the past than most but I wouldn't be at all sad to see him retire from out national team, simply because he offers so little these days.

It would help Rooney if others were doing their jobs.Movement up front and from the other midfielders is dire.At one point Rooney had to hit a 40 yard pass because nobody was there to pass to and he was also the LAST line of defence at one point.Has Henderson started yet?

The person who should be up front to pass to IS Rooney!! He's trying to be everything and in doing so he's isolating Kane, reducing then options available to the others midfielders and not in positions where he might harm the opposition. Tell him to get closer to Kane and make himself available to the midfielders when they are looking for a fwd pass

But anyways a win is a win

I disagree. Kane needed support and Rooney was supposed to provide that. Instead he seemed to want to play very deep, isolating an already short of confidence Kane.

Only when Alli came on did we start to exert some pressure, because he provided the link between the midfield and attack that Rooney should have been providing, and was willing to run at their defence.

If Rooney is going to play where he did, then one of Henderson or Dier shouldn't have started. But Sam said that Rooney would play a more advanced role and he simply did not do that.

Sam actually told Rooney to play where he wanted as in free role.This was confirmed after the game by both men.Did anybody watch Rooney's passing and putting people in.Rooney was supplying the amo in the second half.Not his fault that Henderson couldn't do his job or others who couldn't score in a brothel as we all know Wayne is quite capable of doing.

I've personally no problem if Rooney wants to play deep. But the issue is that there were already two playing deep. This created a big gap between the midfield and the striker.

As I said, if Rooney wants to play deep then one of the other defensive midfielders needed to be on the bench. I just fail to see the argument for three defensive midfielders against opposition that barely got out of their own half.

We were way better when Alli plugged the gap between the midfield and striker.

I've personally no problem if Rooney wants to play deep. But the issue is that there were already two playing deep. This created a big gap between the midfield and the striker.

As I said, if Rooney wants to play deep then one of the other defensive

needed to be on the bench. I just fail to see the argument for three defensive midfielders against opposition that barely got out of their own half.

We were way better when Alli plugged the gap between the midfield and striker.

Correct , which allowed Rooney to dictate as we only needed one defensive MF.The finishing line up should have been the starting lineup.

Sam actually told Rooney to play where he wanted as in free role.This was confirmed after the game by both men.Did anybody watch Rooney's passing and putting people in.Rooney was supplying the amo in the second half.Not his fault that Henderson couldn't do his job or others who couldn't score in a brothel as we all know Wayne is quite capable of doing.

Funny how you didn't mention his first half performance where he gave the ball away more times than any other England player. One thing is for sure, had he played for Liverpool you would have been slagging him off left, right and centre.

Archived