onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Slovakia v England

For Us All

If Rooney is now our best player we've had it. Admittedly he's been our best player over the last 7 or 8 years without producing a good tournament but it's time he hung up his England boots, he is past his sell buy date.

Ashley Cole? John Terry?

Rooney has been embarrassingly bad for England in the games that really matter.

Advert

Rooney is currently England's best player, a world class player, he's versitile can score goals, play forward and his range of passing enables him to play midfield as well, he's a football guy, rugged and competitive, he adapted his game on Sunday to what England needed.

Now you're just sounding like some sort of Wayne fanboy. He's never been world-class, or even close. As a midfield he's extremely average. End of.

I wonder if Charlton played in a team managed by Owl face or sven of mcclaren whether he'd have that medal. That's it then you won me over, the highest ever England goal scorer was never any good :laugh:

Would Rooney have won anything if in a team managed by any of them?

Who said he was never any good? He's just not as good as made out to be and as I've said being England''s top goal scorer doesn't I any way tell the whole story. I suppose he is much better than Bobby Moore or Sir Stan cos look at the goal scoring record..much more to it than simply goals scored.

Now you're just sounding like some sort of Wayne fanboy. He's never been world-class, or even close. As a midfield he's extremely average. End of.

That's your opinion , mine and many, many football professional pundits is diammetically oppopsite, there are stats and other evidence to suggest his ability, you have fresh air.

http://www.manchester.com/sport/united/rooney-quotes.php

Fair few world class players who disagree with you beechy

Even Messi said he is the greatest England player of his generation, or are they all wrong?

I'd put scholes well ahead of him iniesta, xavi, Ronaldo even Rooney raved about him calling him the best he'd played with zidane called him the best midfielder of his generation

http://www.manchester.com/sport/united/rooney-quotes.php

Fair few world class players who disagree with you beechy

Even Messi said he is the greatest England player of his generation, or are they all wrong?

In an England shirt I'd say they're all wrong. To not score a goal for as long as he hasn't in the biggest competitions on the International stage is shocking. I can't even remember the last time he genuinely had a great game for England.

For United he has had a couple of seasons where he was excellent with Ronaldo. I know plenty of United fans who are staggered at how he's been a first choice pick when fit for so long. He's now a decent player who has been very, very good when he peaked early. I wouldn't say he's ever been world-class and genuinely amongst the very best players in the world.

I'd put scholes well ahead of him iniesta, xavi, Ronaldo even Rooney raved about him calling him the best he'd played with zidane called him the best midfielder of his generation

Zidance has also said if he could choose one England player to be in his side it would be Steven Gerrard. Not Scholes, Rooney or Lampard. So he seems to say a lot...

Rooney is definitely not currently out best player.
Well who is then? I bet if you asked the England players who played against Slovakia they would say Rooney.

And he is not world class. He's an average player and past his best.
His stats suggest otherwise, he is a different player now compared to when he was younger, most 30 year olds are.

His passing was not great against Slovakia and he was playing way too deep sometimes deeper than stones leaving kane isolated.
Stats from the first half showed he was more involved in the game than Marek Hamsik, made more passes and had a greater completion rate, Rooney was the fulchrum of the team for England, he played as one of a three behind Kane, all three were supposed to support Kane, not just Rooney, it wasn't a 4-4-1-1. On a few occisions John Stones found himself further forward thyan Rooney, if he continues to do this at some time it will cost England dear. Rooney could pass better than Jon Stones wearing a blindfold.

Football is an 11 man game and Sweden can't rely solely on zlatan for them to qualify so i dont understand how you can compare the two players on whether their national sides are any good. Apart from zlatan their crop of players isn't that great. I think it's time for wayne to concentrate on club football.

Same for Rooney and England but there's more focus/pressure on England than Sweden. I've never seen a universally accepted definition of a world class player but people usually include something to do with national Team success/performance and in Ibra's/Sweden's case they are more wanting then Rooney/England over the last 12 years.

England without Rooney would be leaderless and rudderless.

Zidance has also said if he could choose one England player to be in his side it would be Steven Gerrard. Not Scholes, Rooney or Lampard. So he seems to say a lot...

And it wasn't so long ago when people on OVF were saying of Gerrad was rubbish. Both Gerrad and Rooney are/were/have been world class players during their careers.

Rooney has to play a free role to get the best from him.He's the Gazza of today,only he scores more goals.Figures and stats don't lie.One of the England greats.

An England 'great' who hasn't scored a goal in tournament football since he was a teenager and hasn't even put in a better than average performance in any meaningful game since I can remember. The only players who could be considered England greats based on his performances alone in recent history are Ashley Cole and David Beckham.

And it wasn't so long ago when people on OVF were saying of Gerrad was rubbish. Both Gerrad and Rooney are/were/have been world class players during their careers.

Not for England they haven't. They've both had moments in an England shirt, and while Rooney is the top scorer which I give him plenty of credit for many of his performances have left a lot to be desired, and in the Euro's and World Cup, the games that really matter, generally he's been woeful for someone some people attribute the word world-class with.

As a midfielder he shouldn't be anywhere near the team.

Archived