onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Neil Redfearn wages offer highlighted in The Guardian

TJHValiant

In my eyes, the manager's job is the most important at the club. Let's assume that our top earning players are on 125k/year, why does the manager deserve to be paid only a third of that?

Whatever your thoughts on Rob Page (I wasn't exactly sad to see him leave), you can't blame someone for taking a sideways step if it means they're finally going to get paid the going wage for a L1 manager.

in my eyes, it isnt, i see your point although.

i'd say it's 50 / 50, manager does his half as regards to team talks, training, half time talk, player's do there bit in training / matchdays.

Advert

I engaged the writer of this article on Twitter. He's the ""Chief Football Writer for Guardian/Observer". My question was, why has he not named sources? Did he attempt to verify it, or was it just chit-chat over a beer with another journo? If he asked the club to comment and they declined, why not say so?

The Sentinel "cut and pasted" some of the article but failed to ask the same question. Who says? Is it Redfearn himself and he doesn't want to be quoted?

Also, was it a straight £40k or linked to a bunch of incentives? I'm pretty sure Micky was on a six figure sum although I have no idea about Page.

The journalist accused me of being ignorant and having no manners. You can judge that for yourself but he seemed over sensitive in his reply.

Would he dare say something about Chelsea or Man U that denigrated the club to the same degree? No, but this is just "little old Port Vale, the butt of many jokes "darn sarf". Makes my blood boil.

Perhaps Smurf will comment?

I engaged the writer of this article on Twitter. He's the ""Chief Football Writer for Guardian/Observer". My question was, why has he not named sources? Did he attempt to verify it, or was it just chit-chat over a beer with another journo? If he asked the club to comment and they declined, why not say so?

The Sentinel "cut and pasted" some of the article but failed to ask the same question. Who says? Is it Redfearn himself and he doesn't want to be quoted?

Also, was it a straight £40k or linked to a bunch of incentives? I'm pretty sure Micky was on a six figure sum although I have no idea about Page.

The journalist accused me of being ignorant and having no manners. You can judge that for yourself but he seemed over sensitive in his reply.

Would he dare say something about Chelsea or Man U that denigrated the club to the same degree? No, but this is just "little old Port Vale, the butt of many jokes "darn sarf". Makes my blood boil.

By the same token, what do the Guardian stand to gain by just making things up?

If you read Daniel Taylor's columns, he often does just that to the big clubs - in fact, to a much greater degree than he has with the Vale - particularly the Manchester teams. Also, there is absolutely no reason why he should name his sources. Papers don't do that and if they did, we'd have practically no subsequent stories.

Would be better if Smurf ignored it as it deserves. Tittle-tattle and nobody's business what he chooses to offer any individual applicant.

Can I ask politely though, did you mention where you live to the journalist, just wondering whether that had anything to do with his reply.

Would be better if Smurf ignored it as it deserves. Tittle-tattle and nobody's business what he chooses to offer any individual applicant.

Can I ask politely though, did you mention where you live to the journalist, just wondering whether that had anything to do with his reply.

Smurfs latest tweet suggests he never met Redfearn, let alone offered him a 40k salary or a job!

Archived