onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Next England manager?

I'm surprised there doesn't seem to be a thread on this already so I thought I'd bring the subject up.

I notice the FA are already touting Gareth Southgate as the possible 'interim' England manager and there's talk of getting Arsene Wenger to be the next man in charge. I really, really, REALLY, REALLY hope this doesn't happen. Southgate and / or Wenger will just be more of the same, nice clean cut presentable image, don't do anything controversial and, unfortunately, don't win anything.

After 50 years of drivel it's time to do something different. Firstly, for a nation of our football standing with the richest league in the world surely we have to appoint a national manager who's actually from the nation. If Wales, Ireland (I count Martin O'Neill as he's from the island of Ireland) and Northern Ireland can manage it and have relative success surely so can we. Secondly, the only relative success we've seen in 50 years has been under English managers and two of them were a bit maverick, Venables and Hoddle. Thirdly, the men at the FA who will appoint the manager are under qualified to do so, none of them have played the game at any notable level and none have any international playing or managerial experience. Respected ex-players should be consulted as to what's needed and who has the correct personal qualities.

Personally I'd consider bringing back Glenn Hoddle and putting someone like Shearer alongside him. Tactical nous and experience with determination and passion for the nation's success alongside it. Eddie Howe would be a possible candidate too.

I'd consult people like Chris Waddle as to what and who we should be looking for, in my opinion he says a lot of true and sensible things on the radio. Other people who could be asked for their opinion would be Linaker, Venables and maybe Redknapp (BTW that is not an exhaustive list, just the ones who spring to mind).

Finally, whoever is appointed HAS to be allowed to manage freely and pick whoever they want irrespective of who they play for. I'm convinced Jack Wilshere only went to France because we had to have an Arsenal player in the squad / team, even Roy must have been able to see that he isn't of international class, he isn't match fit having been injured ALL season and he has a woeful egotistical attitude. IMO the last England manager who had a truly free pick was Alf Ramsey and look where his 1966 and 1970 squads were from, all over the league. It's in the big clubs' interests to have their players as internationals because of their transfer values and I'm sure they pressure the FA regarding selection.

For me it all started going wrong when they didn't pick Brian Clough because they couldn't handle him and they were worried about the image he'd portray. They're riddled with the class structure and are more bothered about wealth and position sucking up to royalty than winning a tournament which is why we have 'prince' William - that well known football fan - as FA President.

Advert

The best coach in the world can't help you. You are some real arrognat towards the worl around you. Your PL i among the 4 best at third place. All the big national teams chosse their players from all the 5-6 best leaues in the world. The English national team almost only choose from PL. If your younger talent would spend 5-6 years of their cariers abroad, in one of the other big leauges. You would have better players for the national team.

Need somebody who's got passion and gets that passion flowing through the players because this tournament has showed how disinterested the players are we need players who will play there hearts out for the national team we don't need overpaid fairys

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Someone who can pick the best players that can gel together in a game style, and as a plus be able to motivate them if playing for their country is not enough (A job I would expect the captain to do or assist at)

Do not not pick Ranieri, useless as an international manager he lost his last game to the Faroe Islands.

Someone who identifies the best players and picks a system/tactics to suite them, someone who thinks and is logical with a track record at International level and who can motivate the players and who the players respect. Glenn Hoddle ticks these boxes.

Archived