onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

The final 6 weeks of the season.....

ollyandpatch

I judge strikers on goals, OS, for me that is the only stat worth having on a striker, particularly in our system when the striker is relied upon to score on the basis that nobody else will! AJ has done fine for us and isn't the problem. The problem is there is no backup for him. Pope and AJ up front may have worked, we will probably never know. I suspect, given the likely difference in the wages between the two, you are fighting a losing battle both in a business sense and in a football sense. Only in my opinion of course.

I agree. There's not been enough goals from elsewhere in the team and that has really let us down. Between the four strikers we've had this season (Dodds, Ikpaezu, AJLS, Hooper) they've scored 24 goals. Not great, but not disastrous either. Our defenders have one fricking goal between the lot of them which is truly useless.

We'll never really know if Pope would have done the business for us this year. I know OS and me disagree on this one, but for the figures being banded about for Pope's salary weren't worth the risk that he was a) going to stay fit for 80% of the season and b) going to be able to perform at the level required after 2 injury-hit seasons that may or may not have taken its toll on his career longevity.

In my opinion the Vale did the best thing they could do which was to move on from Popey and let him sign his lucrative long-term deal at Bury which would secure his family's future. We took a risk and gambled on strikers with something to prove and ultimately it doesn't look like it'll pay. However that doesn't necessarily mean the option to keep Popey was the right one to take either.

Advert

To be fair the figures as to where the goals have come from don't look all that different. This is totals for us (from Wiki - & not just league):

2014/2015

DF: 4

MF: 30

FW: 32

2015/2016

DF: 1

MF: 24

FW: 24

Obviously we're yet to finish, but looks like it may turn out around a similar amount. We only scored 4 from defence too last season. We're only in a higher position because of our defence it seems, but to get an even better position, we just need that 20+ striker that most teams want.

In hindsight we probably should have kept Uche until the end of the season. I'm sure he would be up to double figures by now and would have contributed more than Robinson and Hooper. We never saw Uche and Ajay played together either- might not have worked but should have been given a go.

To be fair the figures as to where the goals have come from don't look all that different. This is totals for us (from Wiki - & not just league):

2014/2015

DF: 4

MF: 30

FW: 32

2015/2016

DF: 1

MF: 24

FW: 24

Obviously we're yet to finish, but looks like it may turn out around a similar amount. We only scored 4 from defence too last season. We're only in a higher position because of our defence it seems, but to get an even better position, we just need that 20+ striker that most teams want.

These 20 goal a season strikers are on the whole mythical creatures. Burton won Lge 2 last season with no players in double figures, and are likely to top league 1 with similar stats

Oh yeah, but look at the stats for goals scored in the previous 2 seasons by the top side:

2014/2015

1st Bristol C - 96, top scorer 18

2nd MK Dons - 101, top scorer 20

2013/2014

1st Wolves - 89, top scorer 17

2nd Brentford - 72, top scorer 17

So for those promoted sides, most nearly hit 20. If you add to that, Burton have scored 50 & conceded 31. They have also have won 12 1-0's, & 6 2-1's. So their games are a lot tighter, because of their great defence.

In hindsight we probably should have kept Uche until the end of the season. I'm sure he would be up to double figures by now and would have contributed more than Robinson and Hooper. We never saw Uche and Ajay played together either- might not have worked but should have been given a go.

Said that ages ago, AJ is a clever player and more of a goal threat so in the number 10 position he'd have been a better bet for me behind Uche than what we've had most of the season.

As frustrating as uche was with his fouling of other players and sometimes greediness when he has better options ahead, he is young and was still learning. He certainly made more impact in games than Robinson.

As frustrating as uche was with his fouling of other players and sometimes greediness when he has better options ahead, he is young and was still learning. He certainly made more impact in games than Robinson.

Unused subs have made more impact than Theo so far.

Wee, sleekit, cow'rin, tim'rous beastie,

O, what a panic's in thy breastie!

Thou need na start awa sae hasty,

Wi' bickering brattle!

I wad be laith to rin an' chase thee,

Wi' murd'ring pattle!

But, Mousie, thou art no thy lane,

In proving foresight may be vain;

The best-laid schemes o' mice an 'men

Wee, sleekit, cow'rin, tim'rous beastie,

O, what a panic's in thy breastie!

Thou need na start awa sae hasty,