onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Port Vale 3 - Southend 1 - Post Match Comments

Caz or caz123

We currently have 9 players out on loan so what's the problem with a smaller squad.

Pointless keeping the youngsters because Page won't give them a chance.

Quality not quantity.

Just hope we don't lose our best players with Norman saying they will get 30 to 40% pay cut leaving us with this seasons bench warmers.

Which youngsters dont get a chance ?

Crewe are giving their youngsters a chance :unsure:

Advert

Well increase the budget,get your season ticket,Smurffs not cutting the budget,all he has said he is not prepared to carry on footing the shortfall,the truth hurts sometimes,whoever owns this club will do the same,Smurffs been a bit to blunt and to the point for many,and it now appears to be a sick mess for all, with all the innuendos flying around,stories being fabricated.it would be great just to have a stable well run club to support,but then it would not be a football club I suppose,let's all keep the faith maybe it will all come out in the wash,whiter than white

Really enjoyed last nights performance and result. Was buzzing when i got home, after a bit came on here, soon lost that buzz! The ridiculous slating of Dodds by one poster after a good game was crazy, but then again he would have looked even more stupid turning his bile on Page as he normally does. Some posters were noticable by their absence last night. Then there was critisism of the second half performance - i thought it was excellent and very professional until the 93rd minute, but only my opinion of course.

There seemed a different attitude in the team last night - a willingness to press forward and take chances. It is great to see goals coming from midfield and defence and lovely to have a striker playing with support and not in total isolation. Much greater confidence with that formation - three central midfielders and one winger - the fullbacks can cross the ball if they are up there and Dodds playing in his best position alongside the main striker. I thought McGivern gave another very good performance in central defence and that the penalty was dubious to say the least as the Southend player ran across McGivern who was in the act of clearing.

but doddsy when he is on form brings out the best in the whole team but u cannot expect him do it all the time he is human after all .

Agreed but he does need to do it more than 1 on every 6 or 7 games or at least work hard and have decent games in those others. His problem as an enigma it's either all (as it was last night) or nothing. The same can very much be said for Moore who is probably even more inconsistent and hides when things aren't going his way and a few others. Work rate and contribution to the team will generally always be respected.

For your information Geo, we have had many good home performances this season. Even some of the draws have been good. Worthy of another cigar I reckon.

I dont doubt that mate, just pointing out there is a difference between result and performance.... dont tempt me :nailbiting:

Don't think youngsters like Streete and JJ Hooper have been given a chance because Page still plays his favourites no matter how bad they are.

He has played Robinson to justify his signing even though he obviously isn't fit . Pity Duffy hasn't picked up another booking to take him to a ban.

But he would still play his favourites so Yates would be back in before he would play Streete. Can't wait for Chelsea to take him of our hands.

At least he may have the option of playing Nathan Smith next season. He wouldn't have even made the squad if he had stayed here instead of going to Torquay.

Loan players aren't always available, particularly quality ones, meaning we'd need to sometimes rely onwhatever was available. We'd need 3 keepers anyway and most teams have 4. We need a squad that can gel and get to know each other not 18 players with strangers coming and going.

People say that we have a huge squad this season but if you take out the first year professionals and perhaps a couple of others, we've needed pretty much everyone. It's be great to just have quality and not quantity but in football nowadays, you need both.

Burnley try and keep to an 18-man squad. Sometimes they spill over and make changes mid-season but essentially the plan is to keep the 18-man squad and move it around it bit. They believe that they recruit the right players over the summer. I notice they've used 23 players so far this season, at least one of which is no longer at the club. Some of those players have only played a couple of league games as well.

So I think it can be done. I would prefer to do that, as opposed to having 32 on the books and leaving us with 14 players in the stand every Saturday (well aware that some of those are development squad players).

The important thing is this: 1-2 better quality players can make a big difference at our level.

So, I agree, it is better to have a smaller squad of greater quality than a large number of mediocre squad players.

The trouble is it's difficult to avoid injuries so you need a lot of luck and second we don't have the budget of a Wigan or a Sheff Utd to be able to afford the players who would clearly make a difference. I suppose that's where we are wholly reliant on the manager and back-room staff.

I think there's a lot to be said for that. Managing that 18 to make sure you get 11 of them on the pitch is a great skill. I would say though, that I don't think we've picked up any injuries this year that couldn't have been covered if we had more quality on the bench, instead of stringing the budget out on more quantity. Innis could have been ably covered by having a decent centre-half on the bench. Some would argue that O'Connor was covered by Foley, although I have not been Foley's biggest fan the last few months. In my opinion, we've been short of Innis and a good striker this season to make the playoffs. Both could've have been sorted by cutting the squad size and having more quality in a smaller squad.

In my opinion, we've been short of Innis and a good striker this season to make the playoffs. Both could've have been sorted by cutting the squad size and having more quality in a smaller squad.

I think I'm on the same page as you.

If we'd had those two players all season, along with Andoh's pace and a fully fit O'Connor...

It was a shame we didn't have the resources to 'go for it' and sign a couple of quality players in January who could have made a difference. Instead we gambled on a clearly unfit Robinson and an untried, inexperienced youngster. I'm not criticising their efforts but we really needed a couple of proven, full fit lads who could make an instant impact rather than ones who are here to build up their form and fitness.

We are where we are;)

I tend to agree I'm no Page fan but our position is pretty good considering the squad we have but however it's dressed up McGivern and Duffy as a partnership are not going to get you into the playoffs at this level. McGivern especially is average to poor at best and looks to have an error in him at any given moment!

It's a pity Inniss has had such a poor season with injuries as he may have made the difference had we also had a good striker Also as Sage says Andoh's pace was clearly an issue for opposition defenders early on even if he lacked end product he was a good outlet to get the ball up the pitch quickly!

On the defence I can see Page keeping Duffy and and/or McGivern(as he seems to think the sun shines out of their *****!) but I'd be inclined to get rid of both and give the young lad Smith a go next season as he seems to be impressing at Torquay!

Archived