Doncaster R 1 Port Vale 2, post match comments

Fosse69

Advert

I'm delighted tonight. Great win ,

and AJ and JJ linked up well.

Refreshing commentary from Mr Bowers ,

And the game seemed to fly by.

I wish we had won last Sat and we

would be in a really good position going to Wigan.

I'd be happy with a point there. Credit where it's due to

Page for possibly turning the season around at the Keepmoat.

Onwards and upwards . One very happy Vale fan tonight in Houston.

UTV

Denis Smith is just a massive cheerleader for them, the most biased g1t you could get to do punditry - so typical for that joke of a radio station.

The Sun on Sunday asked an ex-player of each Premier club who they should sign in the transfer window and he was their's - his response was something like 'we don't need to sign anyone as the goalkeeper is fantastic (give him that one), the defence is great, midfield is wonderful and the forward options are superb.'

Didnt look so superb on Match of the day Saturday nite....

Very good away performance. Were very lively to start, could have scored 3 in the 1st 15-20 mins. Donny then came at us a bit but can't really remember Alnwick having a tough save to make 1st half. 2nd half they came back out at us, but we soaked the pressure up (Not many times I've said that over the years) and hit them on the break to make it 2-0. After that the game calmed down and we were seeing it out until their wind-assisted response with a few minutes to go. Alnwick then made a great save to deny them an equaliser and it fizzled out after that.

A few observations:

- The 4-4-2 worked very well last night (Well done to Pagey for getting it bob on last night). I would say Page needs to stick with that away from home, and go back to 1 up top at home, where the pitch is bigger and teams pack the midfield against us.

- The 2 strikers worked well together and Hooper made the 2nd goal for AJ. Both good finishes from an intelligent striker.

- Kennedy looked very useful early on, but looked like he was blowing out of his backside after 25 minutes and didn't threaten a lot after. I suspect if we get him fit he'll be a good addition.

- Not a lot to judge Theo on. Maybe we'll see more of him on Saturday.

AJLS has really stepped up.

From looking like a conference footballer at best, the lad has taken the bull by the horns, so to speak.

However, its only him scoring. IF we can add an extra dimension up top we could have an exciting end to the season.

Two away wins in a month after three in eight months!

Any kind of result on Saturday will be more than welcome.

Changed your mind then as he wasn't good enough according to you before the game .....

AJLS has really stepped up.

However, its only him scoring. IF we can add an extra dimension up top we could have an exciting end to the season.

I agree, there's been a few from midfield but no where near enough and I'd desperately like to see a far greater return from our centre backs.

This isn't a criticism of the way they have been playing, at least one of them is normally in the box for set pieces but perhaps something for them to explore in training.

Let's face it given that one of their main attributes as a central defender is the ability to get their head on the ball first I'd expect a few more efforts on target. I think 8-10 goals a season from the back 4 would be welcomed by all, and who knows could add a vital couple of wins a season at least.

A very good three points, particularly after the second half at the weekend.

I was surprised that Inniss didn't start as we've conceded off high balls into the box a lot recently, but, fair play, as Duffy and McGivern have clearly defended very well again.

When we play well the squad looks decent. The bench I thought looked pretty strong last night and many of them could justifiably claim to be as good as those starting.

AJ has been in tremendous form hasn't he? I don't think anyone on here thought that he could go on a scoring run like this, particularly when he was behind Uche earlier in the season. But his movement and speed off the mark causes 'slow' central defenders lots of problems. He could have got 2-3 on Saturday as well. Here's hoping his red hot form continues.

Archived