onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Tax credits - congratulations to the House of Lords

JOHNNYAITCH

This was ruled not to be a finance matter. "Lords are free to vote on all the motions because the planned cuts are being introduced through a “statutory instrument”, not through a finance bill.", whatever the **** that means.

It does make me laugh how the tories are up in arms about the HoL whereas their complete lies in their pre-election promises not to cut tax credits are absolutely fine. Bunch of hypocritical ***** displaying their utter contempt for the electorate, as usual.

What makes me laugh is the Labour Party and the SNP want the H of L abolished in its current state.There are over 100 lib/dem peers in the H of L.:rolleyes:Which part of £ 4.4 billion is not financial?BTW the chancellor had already agreed to have a look before last night and confirms that today even though the bill has been voted through 3 times in the Commons.

Advert

'Call me Dave' shouldn't have told porkies on the QT debate.He's been elected on false promises.Big mistake in my opinion,the House of Lords is putting him in his place.

Was anybody taken in by it though, FUA? Not a dig at solely Cameron as I think they are all pretty economical with the truth. "We need to cut spending but we aren't telling you how we are going to do it" doesn't sound like it is a particular recipe for a popular policy.

Was anybody taken in by it though, FUA? Not a dig at solely Cameron as I think they are all pretty economical with the truth. "We need to cut spending but we aren't telling you how we are going to do it" doesn't sound like it is a particular recipe for a popular policy.

Didn't Labour agree to welfare caps pre election?

Not a good move from the "lords"... not what they decided but the fact they made a decision. They shouldnt be involved in financial matters decided by the commons... cue more conservative lords.

Tax credits are a difficult area. On the one hand we shouldnt let people go under due to circumstances beyond their control... on the other if you decide to have kids you should be able to afford them.

The state should help people but not carry them.

If you are right, and the convention is that you are, then it is time for convention to be changed. The government is clearly wrong to penalise people on low pay who have got into work on low pay rather than live off benefits. The government's error was to not do something about it when they realised they had dropped a clanger. If they had put it right the Lords would have had no need to act. As it is the government has made itself look stupid.

That suits me!

If you are right, and the convention is that you are, then it is time for convention to be changed. The government is clearly wrong to penalise people on low pay who have got into work on low pay rather than live off benefits. The government's error was to not do something about it when they realised they had dropped a clanger. If they had put it right the Lords would have had no need to act. As it is the government has made itself look stupid.

That suits me!

If you suggest the lords should have a say consider the chaos that would ensue and the political shuffling to get enough lords to support your party... ie... more conservative lords when the tories hold power and more labour lords when reversed.... the lib dems just need to make friends just in case.

Labour need commending for the way that they have conducted themselves throughout this whole disgusting affair, what with McDonnell promising not to attack Osbourne if he u-turns on this issue.

It's worrying how the tories will fund the huge hole in their plans now. I'm sure they'll find another way for the poorest to bear the brunt though.

This was ruled not to be a finance matter. "Lords are free to vote on all the motions because the planned cuts are being introduced through a “statutory instrument”, not through a finance bill.", whatever the **** that means.

It does make me laugh how the tories are up in arms about the HoL whereas their complete lies in their pre-election promises not to cut tax credits are absolutely fine. Bunch of hypocritical ***** displaying their utter contempt for the electorate, as usual.

Surely it's the HOlords showing utter contempt for a democratically elected government (whatever its majority)? It may well be pleasing for you and the Labour & Liberal Democrats in this particular instance, but nevertheless a dangerous precedent irrespective of which party is in power--these parties certainly would not be happy if the boot was on the other foot and The Lords voted down an issue that the left-leaning parties were in favour of!

The HOL is an unelected body and whether or not it was statutory instrument or an actual bill that the government had brought forward, it had in fact been voted through on no less than 3 occasions with a government majority in the House of Commons. Not sure why I'm even bothering with this, as from previous postings and your history of one-eyed, closed argument, I doubt whether you will be able to take the more balanced view that there are very specific constitutional issues at stake here, whichever side of the political divide you're on.

Tax credits are a difficult area. On the one hand we shouldnt let people go under due to circumstances beyond their control... on the other if you decide to have kids you should be able to afford them.

The state should help people but not carry them.

What about when people's circumstances change? That's when the safety net - the one that the tories are so intent on dismantling - is so important. I'm not exaggerating or being overly dramatic when I state that the way that vital services and provisions are being shut down or withdrawn is genuinely frightening.

Labour need commending for the way that they have conducted themselves throughout this whole disgusting affair, what with McDonnell promising not to attack Osbourne if he u-turns on this issue.

It's worrying how the tories will fund the huge hole in their plans now. I'm sure they'll find another way for the poorest to bear the brunt though.

We are still awaiting how Labour would fund it or won't they?No doubt the people working hard and who don't receive benefits will bear the brunt.

What about when people's circumstances change? That's when the safety net - the one that the tories are so intent on dismantling - is so important. I'm not exaggerating or being overly dramatic when I state that the way that vital services and provisions are being shut down or withdrawn is genuinely frightening.

On the one hand we shouldnt let people go under due to circumstances beyond their control.

I did include the above

Archived