onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Tax credits - congratulations to the House of Lords

JOHNNYAITCH

Congrats to the House of Lords regarding the govt's planned tax credit changes

Not sure anything will actually get changed but it has highlighted the issue and hopefully will get the govt to look at it again at least..and then do more to help those who will lose out as tax credits change and other changes come in..just doesn't sit right

Advert

That, of course, is why the House of Lords is there - to act as a check and balance on the Government if it thinks it's been too hasty.

If it doesn't question and scrutinize these matters it might as well not exist.

That's how our Constitution has operated for years.

It's right to try and reduce the costs of the welfare state that have rocketed but like you I'm not sure this is a fair way of doing it.

The one thing that may come from it is it may push the Conservatives to support much-needed reform of the House of Lords.

Agreed,even John McDonell wants that.I think there could be no cuts or a less of a reduction where kids are involved.Single people and couples with no kids will take up the slack.

That, of course, is why the House of Lords is there - to act as a check and balance on the Government if it thinks it's been too hasty.

If it doesn't question and scrutinize these matters it might as well not exist.

That's how our Constitution has operated for years.

It's right to try and reduce the costs of the welfare state that have rocketed but like you I'm not sure this is a fair way of doing it.

They are not supposed to get involved in finance matters.The bill has been voted for 3 times in the Commons.Not constitutionally correct for unelected Lords to interfere.

Not a good move from the "lords"... not what they decided but the fact they made a decision. They shouldnt be involved in financial matters decided by the commons... cue more conservative lords.

Tax credits are a difficult area. On the one hand we shouldnt let people go under due to circumstances beyond their control... on the other if you decide to have kids you should be able to afford them.

The state should help people but not carry them.

Personally I'm happy to have a second chamber that isn't largely made up of career politicians..not saying that what we have is anywhere near perfect but a second chamber with a breadth of experiences and knowledge and perspectives could have a good role to play..even if unelected by the general population...how it's populated and it's remit are the main issues for me..not whether we should have one or not

Personally I'm happy to have a second chamber that isn't largely made up of career politicians..not saying that what we have is anywhere near perfect but a second chamber with a breadth of experiences and knowledge and perspectives could have a good role to play..even if unelected by the general population...how it's populated and it's remit are the main issues for me..not whether we should have one or not

It is its remit I would question regarding tax credits

They are not supposed to get involved in finance matters.The bill has been voted for 3 times in the Commons.Not constitutionally correct for unelected Lords to interfere.

This was ruled not to be a finance matter. "Lords are free to vote on all the motions because the planned cuts are being introduced through a “statutory instrument”, not through a finance bill.", whatever the **** that means.

It does make me laugh how the tories are up in arms about the HoL whereas their complete lies in their pre-election promises not to cut tax credits are absolutely fine. Bunch of hypocritical ***** displaying their utter contempt for the electorate, as usual.

People should not be earning 25 k on benefits. That's the same as a teacher or a police man just starting out. This needs to stop. People who stay at home all day watching day time TV sponging off the state need to look at themselves in the mirror. The government also need to reduce the cap.

People should not be earning 25 k on benefits. That's the same as a teacher or a police man just starting out. This needs to stop. People who stay at home all day watching day time TV sponging off the state need to look at themselves in the mirror. The government also need to reduce the cap.

Its not about staying at home... as the title suggests its working tax credits that are the aim of the discussion in "the house"

Whilst I tend to agree, this is about people who are working getting a 'top up' thru tax credits..a different if related subject. The argument is that the changes will force some to quit work cos they will be better off not working at all whereas others will just be worse off even though they are trying to do the right thing by doing what work they can

Another aspect of the mix is that employers are "getting away" with paying low wages cos people are able to get tax credits to top up their income; this is supposed to 'encourage' employers to pay more per hour..although I'm not sure how it will do that.

Archived