onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Tax credits - congratulations to the House of Lords

JOHNNYAITCH

Advert

Perhaps the second house should be elected on a PR basis..it would then at least reflect the overall political make up of the country

How the candidates should be selected I'm not sure..ideally it would represent the breadth of the country in terms of experience, skills, knowledge etc as well as politically and socially

Definitely not an X factor style competition :)

But Labour weren't breaking any promises implicitly made in the run-up to the election. People will have (naively IMO) voted for this government under the misapprehension that the cuts to welfare would not effect them.

On the other hand,George can now blame the HOL for not being able to push through welfare cuts which he had a mandate to do?

But Labour weren't breaking any promises implicitly made in the run-up to the election. People will have (naively IMO) voted for this government under the misapprehension that the cuts to welfare would not effect them.

But would they have had a guarantee from Labour that there would be no cuts?Please tell me why Labour failed to get elected?

Did he have a mandate for this working tax credit change though? Don't get me wrong once elected it can be argued that they have a mandate to do whatever they feel needs to be done within the context of their wider manifesto but I'm not convinced they had a mandate for this specific change

But would they have had a guarantee from Labour that there would be no cuts?Please tell me why Labour failed to get elected?

Either Ed and the bacon sandwich or just soo many nasty selfish people in the country;)

As far as I am concerned in the end not enough people trusted Labour with regards to the economy and govt spending..

The Conservatives have been given a massive opportunity and a massive amount of peoples' trust..if they get this wrong I reckon it will be a looong time before they will be trusted again by a lot of people who trusted them this time round

You'd have to be naive in the extreme not to think that the £12.9billion welfare savings implicitly and clearly spelled out in the Conservative election manifesto wasn't going to impact on benefits and still the country voted in a Conservative only government! The process is called democracy however many faults any system may have--live with it--you may not like it, but many people agree with the need to reduce spending on welfare. If you and your lefty-leaning mates don't want welfare cuts where are you going to make savings--on NHS spending? On policing? On education? Your call.............................

You'd have to be naive in the extreme not to think that the £12.9billion welfare savings implicitly and clearly spelled out in the Conservative election manifesto wasn't going to impact on benefits and still the country voted in a Conservative only government!

Perhaps the tory voters were naive or perhaps they believed it when they were told, repeatedly, that the tories would not cut tax credits. They told a bare faced lie to the electorate. What Labour would and wouldn't do/ have done is completely irrelevant.

Perhaps the tory voters were naive or perhaps they believed it when they were told, repeatedly, that the tories would not cut tax credits. They told a bare faced lie to the electorate. What Labour would and wouldn't do/ have done is completely irrelevant.

What Labour would or wouldn't do is completely relevant if they wish to be a governing party. The fact of the matter is that come the election, the British electorate just didn't trust Labour on their previous economic mismanagement nor for their future plans and this situation hasn't changed one iota with the new leadership, in fact, their arrival has undoubtedly hardened views about their economic incompetence.

Irrelevant for this thread. Go on the Corbyn one if you want to discuss Labour and their plans.

What do you think about your beloved party telling bare faced lies and showing, yet again, nothing but utter contempt for the electorate?

Plans? What ****ing plans?:laugh:Oh, I know, borrow,spend,increase tax and print money.The Labour way.What do you think about Bliar?Shall start a thread on that ,Murdering,lying,money grabbing basket or carry on talking about a real government?

There are 100+ pages in the Jeremy Corbyn thread where you, FUA, Bycarsbill and a couple of others have consistently derailed any attempt at intelligent conversation with pathetic, childish comments that wouldn't have been out of place in a junior school debating society. Now, when there's a thread discussing the effects of the tories' policies, you just start doing the same here. Genuinely pathetic little man. How about addressing the actual issues and queries for once in your life? Nah, thought not. You seem to lack the intellectual capacity to engage and debate, instead writing stuff like the above. For all my insults and slurs, at least I try and get threads on topic and persuade people to disuss things properly rather than like you with your empty meaningless cliches.

Irrelevant for this thread. Go on the Corbyn one if you want to discuss Labour and their plans.

What do you think about your beloved party telling bare faced lies and showing, yet again, nothing but utter contempt for the electorate?

When Cameron was asked about cuts the question was asked about CHILD Tax credits and CHILD benefit.Today he has said the amount for each child would be the same.£2700+.CHILD tax credits can be applied for by the unemployed not just working people.

There are 100+ pages in the Jeremy Corbyn thread where you, FUA, Bycarsbill and a couple of others have consistently derailed any attempt at intelligent conversation with pathetic, childish comments that wouldn't have been out of place in a junior school debating society. Now, when there's a thread discussing the effects of the tories' policies, you just start doing the same here. Genuinely pathetic little man. How about addressing the actual issues and queries for once in your life? Nah, thought not. You seem to lack the intellectual capacity to engage and debate, instead writing stuff like the above. For all my insults and slurs, at least I try and get threads on topic and persuade people to disuss things properly rather than like you with your empty meaningless cliches.

Engage and debate?Dear me.As long as it suits your bigoted self.Again I'll ask, what are the alternatives.You think you are the big man with all the answers.Let's hear them.I won't hold my breath.You know **** all about **** all.Check through the threads,how many questions have you answered from anyone?Their opinion doesn't matter does it.You are lower than a snake's *****cks.The topic here was about the Lords not you pipe.

Child tax credits ARE being cut. Cherck your facts.

[Michael Gove] told MPs on Parliament’s Treasury select committee that tax credit cuts were “heavily debated” during the election campaign.

But when asked directly by the BBC's Martha Kearney "are you going to be cutting tax credits?", Mr Gove responded: "No."

Question Time ‘Leaders Special’ April 2015

Audience member: Will you put to bed rumours that you plan to cut child tax credit and restrict child benefit to two children?

David Cameron: No I don’t want to do that—this report that was out today is something I rejected at the time as Prime Minister and I reject it again today

David Dimbleby: You said you didn’t want to put to bed rumours that you were going to cut child tax credits—you meant you did want to put to bed the rumours?

David Cameron: Yes—we have increased child tax credits.

David Dimbleby: “Clearly there are some people who are worried that you have a plan to cut child credit and tax credits. Are you saying absolutely as a guarantee, it will never happen?”

David Cameron: “First of all, child tax credit, we increased by £450..”

David Dimbleby: “And it’s not going to fall?”

David Cameron: “It’s not going to fall. Child benefit, to me, is one of the most important benefits there is. It goes directly to the family, normally to the mother, £20 for the first child, £14 for the second. It is the key part of families’ budgets in this country. That’s not what we need to change.”

Archived