onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Canada makes a wise choice

Bea Smith

Advert

I wouldn't have got involved in an ongoing slanging match anyway, so agreeing to differ and co-existence will have to be the order of the day.

A small point I would make is that I don't have an argument with the USA, or its people, beautiful place and some wonderful creative people that I have listed before. A lot of my favourite music comes from there, they do make the occasional good film and have some great authors, artists etc. I actually feel very sorry for the majority there though that are being used by corporations and profiteers.

I've been here before so don't want to start an ongoing debate but the kind of thing I am talking about is their actual lack of freedom, though it is packaged as the opposite, - the freedom to live without guns everywhere, the freedom to drink water that hasn't been fluoridated, the freedom to eat non-GMO food as they have taken away labelling and many similar things that we take for granted in most of Europe. They could also benefit from having political parties that don't rely on being mega-rich to have any chance as well.

It was worrying that Canada was moving the same way, but time will tell if things get better there, I hope they do.

That's totally fair and I respect your point of view. It probably wasn't a wise decision for me to post here as the political stuff does tend to get heated quick. I understand what your saying and hope you get some decent discussion out of this thread. :)

On God, another political thread, where is the nearest cliff

Cliff Vale ? Any thoughts you have on the Canadian election would be welcome though, of course. So far, about 3 replies to the original post have been about it.

Actually I'm very annoyed with a certain South Yorkshire council who are pulling up loads of trees within view of where I live recently, and not giving people the chance to say they don't want this done, so you could be in for a thread about that as well.

That's totally fair and I respect your point of view. It probably wasn't a wise decision for me to post here as the political stuff does tend to get heated quick. I understand what your saying and hope you get some decent discussion out of this thread. :)

Thanks for that.

Anyone still up and watching TV, there is a very interesting documentary on BBC1 about the KKK and Southern states right now. It seems to be very balanced too.

After 10 years as PM Harper was always going to struggle. Canada was ready to vote for change and Trudeau was able to run on a platform of change, something that Harper couldn't do for obvious reasons. Trudeau is young and charismatic and in many ways the anti-Harper.

Back in 2008 Harper's Canada was seen as the poster boy for how an economy could face the global economic crisis. It seems that we are now ready to try something different to the past decade and it will be interesting to see how it develops.

Like the UK Canada swings between Red and Blue Evey few years. Can anyone remember how long the euphoria of a labour win lasted in '97?

I hope you're right, but objectively Canada now has a Premier who has never held any government office and I pose the question: would he have been elected if he didn't carry such an illustrious surname? Time will tell whether he and his party are the correct selection.

They reckon his tattoo was very influential? :unsure:

The Conservatives weren't really a credible opposition for much of that time though.

Such dreamy halcyon days!

No, I was thinking more of the whole Cool Britannia cultural thing that seemed coupled with New Labour. Britain was being lauded across the globe for it's music, fashion, art, film. In retrospect, I find it all a bit ghastly (especially britpop), but at the time it seemed quite exciting.

Such dreamy halcyon days!

No, I was thinking more of the whole Cool Britannia cultural thing that seemed coupled with New Labour. Britain was being lauded across the globe for it's music, fashion, art, film. In retrospect, I find it all a bit ghastly (especially britpop), but at the time it seemed quite exciting.

Britpop and the sight of Oasis and their peers sniffing round Tony's backside made me heave. Who was using who(m?) most ?

However, Canada....I'm told, and haven't looked into the figures in detail but it seems to be generally true, that Canada has 'relaxed' gun laws similar to its southern neighbour, but only a tiny fraction of the gun crime, specifically the mass shootings at schools and malls. I find it fascinating to ponder on why this is.

That was part of what worried me about Harper - he was moving towards losing Canadian identity and was very divisive between any groups of Canadians he could split, seemingly wanting a US style society rather than the somewhat unique Canadian identity.

I'd also like to se UK ties to Canada maintained and increased, maybe the Commonwealth is old hat to some, but Canada has been there for us in the past, and doesn't turn up late when the need is greatest.

Canada is an extremely wealthy country, it sits on oil reserves second only to the Saudi's and it wouldn't be any surprise that there's massive reserves of rare earth precious metals within it's borders, so the young Trudeau has taken the reigns at the right time as the economy should be able to provide the money to fund his policies and programs.

Britpop and the sight of Oasis and their peers sniffing round Tony's backside made me heave. Who was using who(m?) most ?

However, Canada....I'm told, and haven't looked into the figures in detail but it seems to be generally true, that Canada has 'relaxed' gun laws similar to its southern neighbour, but only a tiny fraction of the gun crime, specifically the mass shootings at schools and malls. I find it fascinating to ponder on why this is.

That was part of what worried me about Harper - he was moving towards losing Canadian identity and was very divisive between any groups of Canadians he could split, seemingly wanting a US style society rather than the somewhat unique Canadian identity.

I'd also like to se UK ties to Canada maintained and increased, maybe the Commonwealth is old hat to some, but Canada has been there for us in the past, and doesn't turn up late when the need is greatest.

Noel Gallagher was Blair's mate.

Archived