onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Getafe CF

valeblue

Advert

I'm going to eat my humble pie regarding AJ now. The last two games I've seen, his performance, movement and finishing, along with his link up play with Dodds has really surprised. I was underwhelmed when we signed him, but I think we have a player there. As for my team for Crewe, I'd go with:

Neal (subject to fitness)

Purkiss, Streete, Duffy (if no Innis), McGivern

Grant

Brown, O'Connor

AJ, Uche, Dodds

Essentially 4-3-3, with Grant sitting back to allow O'Connor the out burst forward. And the three front men being a bit more fluid and interchanging as they seem to have been able to do over the last couple of matches.

I still think we're a centre half short though.

I'm going to eat my humble pie regarding AJ now. The last two games I've seen, his performance, movement and finishing, along with his link up play with Dodds has really surprised. I was underwhelmed when we signed him, but I think we have a player there. As for my team for Crewe, I'd go with:

Neal (subject to fitness)

Purkiss, Streete, Duffy (if no Innis), McGivern

Grant

Brown, O'Connor

AJ, Uche, Dodds

Essentially 4-3-3, with Grant sitting back to allow O'Connor the out burst forward. And the three front men being a bit more fluid and interchanging as they seem to have been able to do over the last couple of matches.

I still think we're a centre half short though.

Brown over Foley?

Brown over Foley?

For me yes. Brown still has a lot to offer, particularly his experience. It was Brown riling the Getafe players up yesterday and it causes a lot of them to lose their composure. 30 seconds before Leon(?) was sent off, Brown had done a job on him which caused him to lose his head. There's a lot to be said for a clever wiley old head in the centre of the park who's seen it all and done it all before.

For me yes. Brown still has a lot to offer, particularly his experience. It was Brown riling the Getafe players up yesterday and it causes a lot of them to lose their composure. 30 seconds before Leon(?) was sent off, Brown had done a job on him which caused him to lose his head. There's a lot to be said for a clever wiley old head in the centre of the park who's seen it all and done it all before.

I agree that Brown still has a lot too offer, dosent look or play like his age one bit, but personally I really like the look of Foley. One negative from this friendly (only just watched the stream) was johnson again, looked very shaky at every opportunity.

Agree with that re. Brown, I don't think he'll play the full 90 every game so an opening for Foley there.

Last season we would have been stuffed if Brown was injured or suspended.

An excellent performance yesterday. Getafe are team of very good technical players who always play the ball out from the back even when under pressure. Their players have excellent close control and they have some players who can pass long - particularly the diagonal cross field pass - with outstanding accuracy. I thought our team did not look out of place against them and it was a good game. A little bit of care is needed in interpreting the result. They were down to 10 men for an hour, albeit they adapted by playing a counter attack set up. They are a type of team - creative, passing etc, not a team who pose a physical challenge and play a longer game. So our team was untested against that type of team which may turn up quite often in league 1. But there was a lot to take from this game and I think we have a stronger squad than last year. I also think that Streete is a big improvement in central defence.

Cheeky, you say Brown did a job on the Getafe player. He deliberately elbowed him in the face and should have been sent off. It was friendly and there was no need to do that. It does not excuse the Getafe player but I could understand the "red Mist" that came over him. As it was afriendly if Page had seen Brown's elbow he should have subbed him.

Cheeky, you say Brown did a job on the Getafe player. He deliberately elbowed him in the face and should have been sent off. It was friendly and there was no need to do that. It does not excuse the Getafe player but I could understand the "red Mist" that came over him. As it was afriendly if Page had seen Brown's elbow he should have subbed him.

I didn't say he did a "good job" though, I said he did a "job"; a slightly different context, I wasn't praising the action per se. Personally I would have subbed Brown too at that stage, due to the nature of the match. But I do stand by my comments that the experience he has, and all that brings, will be invaluable during the season.

An excellent performance yesterday. Getafe are team of very good technical players who always play the ball out from the back even when under pressure. Their players have excellent close control and they have some players who can pass long - particularly the diagonal cross field pass - with outstanding accuracy. I thought our team did not look out of place against them and it was a good game. A little bit of care is needed in interpreting the result. They were down to 10 men for an hour, albeit they adapted by playing a counter attack set up. They are a type of team - creative, passing etc, not a team who pose a physical challenge and play a longer game. So our team was untested against that type of team which may turn up quite often in league 1. But there was a lot to take from this game and I think we have a stronger squad than last year. I also think that Streete is a big improvement in central defence.

I think we'll be a match for any side physically in League One, even more so if we do manage to get Innis signed for the season. We won't play a better side than Getafe all season unless we get lucky with the FA Cup draw, that's for sure, and we competed against them very well.

I'm not sure how prolific in front of goal Ikpeazu, Leitch-Smith and Andoh will be, but they all have the attributes to give any L1 defence a very difficult time. LS is already looking a find, although his real test is obviously yet to come.

Totally agree, both should have walked, you can be slightly more lenient in friendlies but not when it comes to acts of violent conduct. That being said I thought our discipline in general was much better than Tuesday.

Real positives for me were;

AJLS, Andoh, Uche, McGivern, Duffy and Streete's partnership, Kelly, Grant and a much fitter looking Birchall.

Disappointments;

Johnson who doesn't seem a patch on Neal, Yates, Moore and Dodds.

I thought we relinquished possession too easily in the first half but were much better second half and were fully worthy of at least a draw. AJLS' finish for the second was excellent.

Totally agree, both should have walked, you can be slightly more lenient in friendlies but not when it comes to acts of violent conduct. That being said I thought our discipline in general was much better than Tuesday.

Real positives for me were;

AJLS, Andoh, Uche, McGivern, Duffy and Streete's partnership, Kelly, Grant and a much fitter looking Birchall.

Disappointments;

Johnson who doesn't seem a patch on Neal, Yates, Moore and Dodds.

I thought we relinquished possession too easily in the first half but were much better second half and were fully worthy of at least a draw. AJLS' finish for the second was excellent.

Surprised at how much fitter Birchall and McGovern looked in particular compared to last season. Maybe the advantage of having a full-time fitness coach.

Archived