onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

England-2014 World Cup.

Advert

Gerrard is a brilliant club player but how many times has be reproduced that form for England? How many times has he taken a game by the scruff of the neck like Beckham did at Old Trafford against Greece?

And these comments about how we should have taken Terry - has everyone forgotten what happened four years ago in Bloemfontein?

how many times was he allowed to play in his advanced role ? I can tell you, once against Slovenia I think. He was captain, scored twice and got one assist. Since then he's been the "water carrier". We have wasted one of the world's best players to acxomodate other average ones.

how many times was he allowed to play in his advanced role ? I can tell you, once against Slovenia I think. He was captain, scored twice and got one assist. Since then he's been the "water carrier". We have wasted one of the world's best players to acxomodate other average ones.

Gerrard has played as a midfield player / holding midfield player all of last season with Henderson (mostly) providing mobility whilst Gerrard passes out from the back. That is preservation of talent because playing Gerrard as high energy attacking midfielder would result in him missing a stack of games injured and prematurely end his career. He may have a future to the Euros in his current role and indeed for Liverpool. Living in Merseyside I get plenty of briefings from my friends on the Liverpool team including Gerrard.

You having a laugh? Gerrard has carried Liverpool and England for years , you just don't notice it because he has to be the scapegoat for people like lampard.

I've noticed Gerrard play well for Liverpool for years, but never more than a few games for England in his career. What has he carried England to? puddled if you think Gerrard has been good for England. Honestly hope he never wears the England shirt again and have felt that way for a few years.

Gerrard has been a tremendous player for Liverpool and for England, he hasn't been as infuential for England because for Liverpool he's been the main man whereas for England there was always the debate about Gerrard or Lampard and I often felt Gerard was played a little further back to accomadate Lampard. I remember he was descibed by Zidane in 2008/9 as the best player in the world at the time.

Gerrard has scored numerous important goals for England (Look at the table of his international goals on Wiki) including the one I will always remember, the all important 2nd in the 5-1 defeat of Germany in 2001 WC qualifier. One of England's best players ever for club and country.

Disagree about that. I think Gerrard is completely over rated for England. I've only ever seen him perform well in a handful of games and was dire this World Cup (again). He's brilliant for Liverpool but never puts in a good performance for England IMO. Will be glad when he and lampard retire so we can start fresh.

Gerrard is a brilliant club player but how many times has be reproduced that form for England? How many times has he taken a game by the scruff of the neck like Beckham did at Old Trafford against Greece?

And these comments about how we should have taken Terry - has everyone forgotten what happened four years ago in Bloemfontein?

You mean when he was played on the right of centre to accommodate the mighty Matthew Upson, when Capello picked a clearly unfit Gareth Barry to preotect the back four, when we had a perfectly good goal disallowed etc etc

You can't blame Terry for what happend there

Gerrards has rarely been allowed to shine for England as he's had to do the donkey work for others. For Liverpool he's been the main man for many years

However, I do think he's overrated; those bliddy long Hollywood passes he would always try were so annoying, wasteful and out of place. But he did score some spectacular and important goals for Liverpool and for England

Disagree about that. I think Gerrard is completely over rated for England. I've only ever seen him perform well in a handful of games and was dire this World Cup (again). He's brilliant for Liverpool but never puts in a good performance for England IMO. Will be glad when he and lampard retire so we can start fresh.

I don't think any of the current youngsters are capable of replacing them if I'm honest.

I have never seen him do it for either. And don't say Greece, he took 25 freekicks that game and ballsed them all up bar the last one

For me its the last 10 mins against Greece that showed he was a class above everyone else on the pitch. I recall him taking over the entire game.

Of course the question remains on whether he's any better than Gerrard... Beckham had far better players around him for England.

Totally agree with those thoughts on Gerrard, Beckham and Terry.

For me its the last 10 mins against Greece that showed he was a class above everyone else on the pitch. I recall him taking over the entire game.

Of course the question remains on whether he's any better than Gerrard... Beckham had far better players around him for England.

They were he same players for much of their careers. You only have to compare their medals to see who is head and shoulders ahead :)

Archived