onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

England-2014 World Cup.

Honestly the Rooney knockers having a go again without any justification.

The justification is that yet again he was awful. Barely tracked back once to help Baines out in the first half. Time and time again Baines had two men to deal with thanks to Rooney. Yes he produced one good cross but he also scuffed our best chance wide and did nowt else of note. How many WC final games has he played (9), how many goals has he scored (0) - he just hasn't done it at the highest level.

Advert

How odd you can see a different game. I thought Baines was ok.

Johnson though I agree. There MUST be a better right back in the Championship!

Decent attacking display but we looked like a team of reserves. Well done Premiership.

I think we'll beat Uruguay but fail to beat Costa Rica and go out.

The justification is that yet again he was awful. Barely tracked back once to help Baines out in the first half. Time and time again Baines had two men to deal with thanks to Rooney. Yes he produced one good cross but he also scuffed our best chance wide and did nowt else of note. How many WC final games has he played (9), how many goals has he scored (0) - he just hasn't done it at the highest level.

The pundits can make excuses about him playing out of position, but if he's world class it shouldn't matter. I don't think he's played well internationally for most of his career. Another one of the "John Barnes". Lots of caps but no end result.

You may disagree JA but I think you've got that one totally wrong. Costa clearly looked at the defender sliding a good foot away from him, stretched his leg out and stood on top of the defender and then went down. You could argue it was a free kick to the Dutch. Same thing happened to Chelsea at the end of last season, against Southampton I think. Very clever and quick thinking play by Costa but cheating non the less.

I totally disagree

Decent performance but two goals that we will lopk at again and think we should have stopped them. Superb goal for us but we ran out of ideas at the end

I'd drop Rooney for the next match..Barkley thru the middle with Sterling moving out wide

Baines had no support from Rooney in front nor jagielka behind so was too exposed

A bit like Lionel Messi really.

World Cups 2 (2006, 2010)

Games played 8

Games won 6

Goals 1

There was too much distance between our back four and the next bank of four, time and time again when England were defending Italy had men in possesion of the ball in between our lines of defense looking to either shoot from ca 20 yards or slip the short ball through or out to the wings. When England were attacking there was no such space. England appeared to stand off the Italians and give them time to control, turn and pass the ball at will, IMHO Henderson should have stood on Pirlo's toes for the whole game, a player of Pirlo's quality can't be allowed time to pick a pass.

All is not lost, win the next two and we go through.

There was too much distance between our back four and the next bank of four, time and time again when England were defending Italy had men in possesion of the ball in between our lines of defense looking to either shoot from ca 20 yards or slip the short ball through or out to the wings.

Yep..they found it quite easy to have someone in space between back 4 and midfield and to slip passes into them.

When England were attacking there was no such space.

There was just no way thru the middle and without a target man towards the end we just had no options

England appeared to stand off the Italians and give them time to control, turn and pass the ball at will,

This has been a problem in the PL for soe time

nderson should have stood on Pirlo's toes for the whole game, a player of Pirlo's quality can't be allowed time to pick a pass.

Spot on..I was screaming at the screen "Why are we giving him time to get is head up and pick a pass"...he's good enough as it is without giving him that sort of time and space

All is not lost, win the next two and we go through.

Lessons will be learned

I am pretty confident of beating Uruguay and Costa Rica; we scored a cracking goal and were far from outplayed by Italy. I think we can improve but Italy won't. I was just surprised we didn't put Lambert on and start putting crosses in when Italy were packing the box and midfield; there was no way thru them..except 'over' them

I see no place for Rooney unless played as the main striker..which will only happen if Sturridge is injured

I would have taken Carroll over Lambert for that very reason, a plan B for the last ca 15 mins. Lambert is a better all round player but he's not as good in the air as Carroll. I was surprised Hodgson didn't throw Cahill up front for the last 10 mins and leave Johnson back just as another option.

Rooney is still one of our best and most experienced players and he does track back. If he'd stuck his chance away the papers would have been telling a different story.

We can still qualify but no room for error. Hopefully Suarez is not match fit and he can't influence the game.

England match Italy player for player. But they have a more experienced and mature team and counting hitting the bar, post and one cleared off the line could have won by more on another day. All the goals were of a high standard and not given away too cheaply even if the defending could have been improved. I think Italy are serious contenders to win the tournament and if we play at the same level against Uruguay we should be able to beat them. They look a one paced team very reliant on the attackers to deliver.

I would have taken Carroll over Lambert for that very reason, a plan B for the last ca 15 mins. Lambert is a better all round player but he's not as good in the air as Carroll.

True as the big man uption Carroll would be a better bet but he'd have been a passenger most of the time; as might Lambert be

surprised Hodgson didn't throw Cahill up front for the last 10 mins and leave Johnson back just as another option.

We'd have been better off if he'd just taken Johnson off!!!!

Rooney is still one of our best and most experienced players and he does track back.

From what i rememebr he didn't track back and he left Baines horribly exposed when he was on the left. The cross for Sturridge was sublime and might just earn him a place against Uruguay but if he does so little again he'll be hauled off early doors

If he'd stuck his chance away the papers would have been telling a different story.

True but that's the point, he didn't..he had a golden chance, the keeper even dived out of the way and he scuffed it wide. he's in the side to put those chances away; we won't get many chances in a game

We can still qualify but no room for error. Hopefully Suarez is not match fit and he can't influence the game.

He won't be injured but he'll be way off the pace; might not even start.

England to win 3-1...goals from Sturridge, Sterling and Cahill..in the 13th, 33rd and 75th minute...a near post header, a 20 yarder and another header form a corner..can't be more specific than that :)

I would have taken Carroll over Lambert for that very reason, a plan B for the last ca 15 mins. Lambert is a better all round player but he's not as good in the air as Carroll. I was surprised Hodgson didn't throw Cahill up front for the last 10 mins and leave Johnson back just as another option.

Rooney is still one of our best and most experienced players and he does track back. If he'd stuck his chance away the papers would have been telling a different story.

I wasnt surprised, we dont have a plan B. Its like Mike Bassett, England will play 4-2-3-1 and thats that, it doesnt matter what the opposition do.

Archived