onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Best away days you've had.

Was that when Grewy saved two penalties?? I was in Trafalgar Square at about 10 in the morning. It was really quiet. Got a bit noisy later mind!

yep

I was living in Tottenham and had some visitors for the weekend

we had an eventful pre-match and jouney to the game and game itself and then got the tube to trafalgar square after unaware of the riot. We made our way back to Tottenham sharpish on seeing the carnage.

Advert

Best result.

Best journey.

Best stop over.

Discuss.

So many to choose from. Any win at Stoke, the promotion at Brighton, a few wins at West Brom (3-2 Porter winner and the 1-0 Ian Taylor match), Liverpool draw, Arsenal draw, Everton Bogie, HUddersfield 4 - 0. Been to all of those. I think Man City on Boxing Day 1-0 Foyle getting the winner was one of the best moments I remember. I also enjoyed getting a last minute equaliser at West Brom to make it 2-2. They weren't best pleased after. Couldn't single out any of the above.

Best journey. I enjoyed Lincoln in the LDV area final. Remember finishing Uni early, meeting all my mates in Burslem for a few about midday, then setting off. The journey to Lincoln isn't the nicest, but the laugh we had was brilliant.

Best stop over. Oxford when we beat them 2-0. Stayed down there for the weekend and loved it. Mills scored, Darren Purse knocked him out with an elbow and got sent off, then Naylor made it 2-0 in front of a packed terrace. That win sent us to 5th in the Championship with the end of the season in sight. Great feeling thinking we actually had a genuine chance of getting into the Prem. Crazy.

Leicester away was fun Grewy saved everything and JJ scored 1st minute which I missed

Seeing as I lived in Leicester at the time I couldn't go because in those days you could only get away tickets from the away club in person. I do remember the match though as I got booed when I went into work on the Monday. :)

for me away trip has to be blackpool years ago, maybe early nineties, the day their keeper was stuck in traffic and they had an unveiling of the pipe dream glass roof stadium. Cracking day out great result and thank god I had a Viking helment on when the burger van hatch landed on my head infront of around 2/3k vale fans queuing to get in a 1pm.

Best stop off? Easily Barnet away last year at the "quaint village boozer" with Jimmy

Best away days had (in no particular order):

1) Last ever derby game at the Britannia Stadium when we won 1-0 (2001-02 season). Any win in a derby game is memorable and special, and this one was no different. We were by far the better side this game, and could have easlily won by more.

2) 5-0 win at Saltergate - 09-10 season. What better way of departing their old gound in style? Always a cracking away day at Saltergate (despite our woeful away record); but we were superb that day. Possibly the best Vale performance I have witnessed in recent years. Robert Page in the Chesterfield defence didn't know whether he was coming or going.:laugh:

3) Winning 2-1 at Shrewsbury - 08-09 season: Again we well and truly threw the form book out the window for this game. We were on six defeats in a row, whilst they had a 100% home record and had just thumped Wycombe 7-0 in the Cup mid-week prior to the game. Being reduced down to 10 men and scoring the winner in the 96th minute created bedlam in the away end. Absolute carnage with the pitch invasion which followed.

4) Wycombe away last game of the season - 1-1 draw - I'm surprised that this one hasn't been mentioned by many (or any on here?):unsure: What a carnival atmosphere this was and for the younger generation of fans who missed the promotion seasons of '89 and '94; this was a special day in which I'm sure fun was had by all involved. Marquee set up especially for the 3,000 mass Vale following. A special day, the last game of the promotion season.

5) Winning 2-0 at Walsall earlier on this season - Great away day finally putting years of agony and pain to rest. Our first away win at Walsall in god knows how many years? Great performance aswell against a useful side at this level.

A few random ones have come to mind.

Preston 5-2 (92/93)

John Beck's first game in charge at North End and Vale tear up the Deepdale plastic, knocking five past the hapless Barry Siddall.

Shrewsbury 1-0 (09/10)

The game when John McCombe got the winner. Brilliant day from start to finish, we got a free bus to the ground courtesy of West Mercia Police.

West Brom 1-0 (92/93)

Ian Taylor got thrown straight in the first team at the start of that season and he just kept scoring and scoring. We ended Albion's 100% home record that day I think. Also memorable for a fight on the official coach when a Stoke fan decided to get on while it was dropping off in the centre of Burslem.

Macclesfield 2-0 (08/09)

Right in the middle of the Sinnott/Glover season and we were all depressed as hell. Spent ages in the pub reminisicing about the 90s in the pub before the game, wondering if the good times would ever come back. That was the day that the bAnNeR came out for the first time, and Johnny Brain chucked an Adnan Ahmed shot in his own net.

Crewe 5-1 (League Cup 2nd Leg 96/97)

I thought their old wooden stand was going to collapse that night.

Time for some shameless plugging I think... ;)

Enjoy the highlights from these games:

Preston 2-5 Port Vale

Vale hit five past Siddall in John Beck's first game in charge

Fulham 0-6 Port Vale

Andy Jones hits an away hat-trick on boat race day

Stoke City 0-1 Port Vale

Robin van der Laan scores the winner in the Autoglass tie

Everton 2-2 Port Vale

A famous FA Cup draw at Goodison

West Brom 0-1 Port Vale

Ian Taylor scores the winner against the Baggies

and one not mentioned yet but one of my favourites...

Brentford 1-2 Port Vale

Two cracking goals by van der Laan and Cross win the game

Another to add to all these great away days , away to exeter in the autoglass area final . Even though we drew 1-1 ,think it was Bernie Slaven. Brilliant day and night.

This one for me, think we suffered about seven minutes of added on time, Andy Porter was attacked by a Police dog as he took a throw-in. The draw gave us an aggregate win and fulfilled my ambition of being able to see the Vale at Wembley for the first time. Great night with great memories.

I posted that West Ham away 1990 was my fave but didn't put matches into categories..it was really the best all round experience

Best result the West Ham match

Best journey. it was a short one for me but the journey home after we beat Millwall when the two Russkies made their debuts

Best stop over. Brighton 1994

Archived