onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

£10 charge to visit A&E?

For Us All

• 1 month later...

Advert

My mother has just returned from visiting my brother in Perth WA. Whilst there she cut her leg which went septic so had to go the docs for antibiotics, 1week course of antibiotics cost her £55

Lets not confuse the difference between what the patient pays and what it costs... although there is no direct cost to the patient in the UK there is a cost that someone pays... the doctors time... admin and receptionists time... dispensing pharmacists costs... and drug costs could well exceed 55 quid.

Personally, I believe the tax paid by drinkers allows them the right to go to the A and E with alcohol related injuries.

In contrast, people with self inflicted DIY or sports related injuries should be charged as they have contributed less in tax prior to their accident.

Any-one injured whilst rock climbing can stitch themselves back together with twine as far as I'm concerned.

• 1 month later...
Personally, I believe the tax paid by drinkers allows them the right to go to the A and E with alcohol related injuries.

In contrast, people with self inflicted DIY or sports related injuries should be charged as they have contributed less in tax prior to their accident.

Any-one injured whilst rock climbing can stitch themselves back together with twine as far as I'm concerned.

Drunks take up approx 15% of all A&E visits, if you take into account the police time used to "Baby sit" these "Patients" as well then I would argue that a flat £25 charge for drunk visits would be acceptable.

When you hear how much they spend on a night out £25 would be cheap.

Will probably cost more than £10 to collect each £10

There is an issue of A&E being used by patients as out of hours GP surgeries. Clearly they are not set up with the capacity to do that and it adversely impacts emergency care. So a management response is required to the supply or demand side of healthcare provision. The proposed charge brings in the price mechanism as a way of reducing demand but is controversial for several reasons including it impacting most on poor people, it requiring collection at point of provision maybe involving healthcare staff or more administration and the difficulty of collection from people who are real emergencies of who refuse to pay but need treatment. It is an example of how hard it is to regulate demand for healthcare and to control costs. Overall, it is not the solution and probably politically a relatively small charge like this could do huge damage to the Conservatives ahead of the election and therefore I think it is a floated idea to see response but has no chance of implementation any time soon.

• 3 weeks later...

Unfortunately this is the price to be paid to be able to help those genuinely in need, some will get treatement that we'd rather they did not have; but it's a price worth paying.It's never as simple as cos we're paying for her to have a free taxi or to have her boobs made bigger then someone else misses out on a cancer drug or something similar

Riding buses is a difficult one because I dont/wont ride them... but then I pay for my own taxi/car/transport

Boob job is cosmetic and shouldnt be on NHS.

Dental.. cosmetic should be private,, necessary NHS

If shes looking for a face lift I can recommend a good scaffolding company...

She got the boob job cos it was (claimed to be) affecting her self esteem so a medical need was deemed to exist

The free dental treatment is I believe available to all pregnant women..essentially for health reasons. No reason why she should be treated any differently to any other pregnant woman

IF she genuinely cannot use public transport than blame the morons who are abusing her

When I worked in health insurance the only cosmetic surgery allowed was "to restore function" or "reconstruct following surgery" - eg. breast removal following cancer. Preventative surgery wasn't covered (like Ms Jolie's double masectomy).

I certainly think the NHS should only be offering cosmetic surgery surgery for these reasons. Perhaps the "lady" in question should have done some crowd funding... she seems used to selling herself.

As to the article, "Having an abortion will further my career" says it all.

Archived