onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

£10 charge to visit A&E?

For Us All

Advert

Did you see the report on Sky News a few days ago. They are doing a special report on A+E services, and the person they were interviewing from the hospital said that someone had rung up on Xmas day, asking how to cook a Turkey, as if they got it wrong, they could end up there and didn't want waste the hospitals time. :laugh:

:laugh:

Apparently,one woman turned and wanted her toe-nails cutting?

http://metro.co.uk/2011/11/06/help-ive-stepped-in-dog-poo-ae-time-wasters-revealed-210363/

One of the founding principles of the NHS is that it should be free at the point of use.

I'm not really qualified to comment on A&E but perhaps better triage is needed in the first place? Unfortunately this would require more resources being put in, which doesn't appear to be forthcoming.

I see that a third of all GP's support a charge of £5-£10 for all visits to A&E units,which will be refunded if your visit is regarded as a genuine case.

Good or bad idea?

Views and opinions please.

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/health-and-families/health-news/charge-10-to-keep-timewasters-away-from-ae-units-say-gps-9035741.html

Wouldn't this mean a fair proportion of the timewasters would go to the GP instead? Very altruistic that GPs would want to increase their own wasted time.

One of the founding principles of the NHS is that it should be free at the point of use.

I'm not really qualified to comment on A&E but perhaps better triage is needed in the first place? Unfortunately this would require more resources being put in, which doesn't appear to be forthcoming.

"Better" triage is one thing, people turning up inapropriately is another.

Unfortunately we now live in a society where people feel that they have a right to dictate about their care, and use the founding principles of the NHS as their excuse.

Yes, the NHS should be free at the point of access, but this should not be exploited. For instance, attending A&E demanding an X-Ray for a longstanding ailment, or going to the GP for a prescription for something that can be bought over the counter.

It used to be the case that people would be invoiced for 999 ambulance calls, but in my experience I've never known this to be enforced, but I may be wrong.

With all these schemes, whilst they appear to hold weight on the surface, their will be pitfalls. I would hate the thought of somebody not using an A&E department for the fear of being charged, when their need is genuine. You ay say that this would never happen, but trust me, it does.

Apart from the extreme examples referred to above (for which the people involved in them arguably deserve an injury worthy of attending and A and E) do we really know where the cut off point is, regarding injury or illness.

Also, isn't much of the confusion here compounded by the time that such injury or illness is incurred, in as much as it could be outside of GP surgery times, or require treatment much sooner than an emergency doctor can arrive.

What happened to the Walk in Centres at hospitals, are they closed too? I always thought they were a good idea to take away the strain of A&E (clues in the name, Accident & Emergency)

We'll be paying for it all soon anyway if these current clowns have their way.

Archived