onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Hughes

Alan Baker

Noticed clucas who we were linked with has scored 11 goals from midfield. McCombe on the other hand has played 4 league games.

Yea, been keeping an eye on him since he joined them. Was one of the players i thought we should of gone for in the summer, instead of Mohamed. I know Crewe went in for him but Mansfield offered the better wage. Think he cost a small fee too, around 50k maybe? can't think now tbh? Yea shame we didn't get him in. Heard a few Stag fans mention that Forest are keeping tabs on his progress now too.

Advert

Yea, been keeping an eye on him since he joined them. Was one of the players i thought we should of gone for in the summer, instead of Mohamed. I know Crewe went in for him but Mansfield offered the better wage. Think he cost a small fee too, around 50k maybe? can't think now tbh? Yea shame we didn't get him in. Heard a few Stag fans mention that Forest are keeping tabs on his progress now too.

The only way he'd move is if we paid up some of his contract. Nobody is going to pay him what we've been doing.

If, as some people say, he's on 4k a week, then we'd have to offer him the equivalent of 2k a week for the remainder of his contract to free up the other 2k.

Hughes holds all the cards here. His agent will be working on two fronts.

(i) to negotiate his severance pay from Port Vale.

(ii) to line up his next contract which will probably run for 18 months.

If these things are not sorted he will sit on his current wage til the summer, keeping himself fit and probably extending his shelf life.

Hughes holds all the cards here. His agent will be working on two fronts.

(i) to negotiate his severance pay from Port Vale.

(ii) to line up his next contract which will probably run for 18 months.

If these things are not sorted he will sit on his current wage til the summer, keeping himself fit and probably extending his shelf life.

I disagree with point (i), we wont pay him anything, lets face it, hughes could be left with the prospect of rotting in the reserves if he doesnt look elsewhere for games, given the form of willo, hugill, tomlin and dodds. Hughes is a bright lad, he will no doubt secure a loan this window with a view to a permanent move in june.

He's still scored more than Willo and Hugill for us this season hasn't he?

Hugill 2 goals in 3 starts and about 3 or 4 short sub appearances - not a very fair remark.

Williamson hasn't had a shedload of games either. started about 5.

Nothing against Hughes, just that comparisons like this don't really show a true picture.

Thing is with Hughes, for the amount of game time he's likely to get between now & the end of the season, we mayaswell give the youngsters that time instead. Hughes will be gone in the summer anyway, so the likes of Hugill & Williamson may well be our future strikeforce? The more quickly these players can gain experience of what it actually takes to be a L1 professional footballer the better for everyone. How will we know if we don't give them that gametime or trust? The sooner we can reach the safety mark the better really, means we can relax & blood them in for the remainder of the season, if we wish to do so? So for that reason i'd rather Hughes left & we spent his wage on other areas of the squad & see how the likes of Hugill & Williamson get on? Plus we got Tomlin too.

Hughes has always given of his best when called upon but his powers are diminishing. If he finds another club, he should go with our good wishes and thanks for his contribution. If he stays for the rest of the season, we should be looking to loan him out to other clubs that become desperate, but use him in the mean time to help develop our youngsters.

Hughes has always given of his best when called upon but his powers are diminishing. If he finds another club, he should go with our good wishes and thanks for his contribution. If he stays for the rest of the season, we should be looking to loan him out to other clubs that become desperate, but use him in the mean time to help develop our youngsters.

He will most certainly go with our good wishes as he has been fantastic for PVFC especially last season and I would hope that should he go on to play against us again then we would give him the same reception the County fans gave him down here.

Pope, Hugill, Willo, Tomlin. Four strikers ahead of him. Dodds can play up top as well.

Hughes has been a terrific player in his career and a solid servant over the last 12 months. He does however represent a pretty expensive bit part player and he deserves to be playing football somewhere at this stage of his career.

I'd hope all parties could agree something that might allow a desperately needed centre golf to be brought in.

I have to admit that although I had hoped he didn't join because of his misdemeanour (for which I know he has paid his dues), since joining he has been nothing less than a model professional without whom I doubt we would be where we are now.

If he does leave, and I believe he will - he goes with my best wishes and whoever signs him will be all the better for it.

Remember, he signed for what we offered. No-one forced us to offer that wage and to my mind, we need to be paying this kind of wage as ultimately it means :

a) We are in a position that warrants those sort of wages

b) We are paying good wages for quality players

c) We are definitely moving onward and upward.

I have to admit that although I had hoped he didn't join because of his misdemeanour (for which I know he has paid his dues), since joining he has been nothing less than a model professional without whom I doubt we would be where we are now.

If he does leave, and I believe he will - he goes with my best wishes and whoever signs him will be all the better for it.

My thoughts too Fred. He has been a super pro for us. Firstly because his goals from January onwards in the end got us promotion. Without them, I believe we would have tripped up as we only just got over the line with them.

I have no doubt to that he has helped youngsters like Williamson and Hugill with his knowledge of the game and don't forget he has contributed this season on an odd occasion such as the Bradford game.

However, I do think for the benefit of Port Vale and Hughes himself, it would now be more beneficial for Hughes to find another club. If he does go, I for one would thank him for his contribution in the short time he was with us.

Archived