onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Shortwood Utd 0 Port Vale 4. Post Match Comments

Fosse69

Advert

As I thought in my previous posts we did a professional job. Not impressive, but sufficient to go through to next round.

Most worrying aspect for me is the fact that Pope and Hughes are not gelling at all. They have been found out, even by non league teams and it was refreshing to see our most potent threat was when Willo and Hugill were on the pitch.

Onward to Round 2 and the League, where hopefully we can find the correct blend to start games with.

Don't think Pope and Hughes have ever gelled. Pope and Williamson for me but thought Hugill played well when he came on.

Did anyone else watch it on BT. Jeez, I wish someone would tell Colin that it's not the Neil Warnock show. Also did anyone see the pre-match shot of Micky alone in the dressing room whilst the players were warming up? It looked like he was about to top himself!

Yes, we watched it on BT and yes, he was getting on my nerves! I switched the sound off in the end for a while because the commentary was very annoying. Poor Micky, he did look down in the dumps didn't he. :laugh:

Yes, we watched it on BT and yes, he was getting on my nerves! I switched the sound off in the end for a while because the commentary was very annoying. Poor Micky, he did look down in the dumps didn't he. :laugh:

Pressure game, expected to win, but these games sometimes go wrong. Daily Mail caught his mood in their dressing room article as previously linked.

Well, it seems credit for a very creditable performance is a little slow in coming so may I say I was very proud of Vale tonight. They showed no signs of complacency, worked very hard, were unselfish, and slowly but surely strangled the life and challenge out of a side that would have beaten one of Brian Horton's Vale teams.

4-0 was, as MA admitted, a tad flattering, but reward for patience and steely determination not to become victims like Swindon were at the weekend. Pope's work for the opening goal was especially noteworthy, as that was the key to winning the match. The defence were rock solid, Lines was classy, as was Hughes.

Myrie-Williams returned to stake a claim for a more regular place and was outstanding and inconsistent in equal measures, but deserved his two goals and man of the match award. Good to see Birchall on the scoresheet too, and Griff battled well.

Not much for Neal to do, but when he had to make a couple of saves, he looked assured.

The subs livened things up too, and I look forward to seeing more of Hugill in particular.

As Aussie Rules (Barry) said in a post, these matches can make you nervous - this one was nice and calming after the 1st goal.

Now Vale - don't think that Salisbury will be easy, they are about 70 places higher than Shortwood in the leagues, so even more hard work will be needed, but this could just be our year for the big 3rd round plum tie and lots of cash.

Uninspiring and lacklustre display.

Shortwood perhaps poorest team that I've ever seen in FA Cup.

I bet every club wishes they had supporters with your opinions.

You'd have preferred the exciting 4-4 draw at Canvey Island no doubt, streaker and all. Trouble is we didn't make the next round after all the inspiring and luster-ing (yes, I know there is no such word). Perhaps you should support Swindon, they scored five against us, but oh... what happened when THEY played non-league opposition away in the Cup this weekend ?

I bet every club wishes they had supporters with your opinions.

You'd have preferred the exciting 4-4 draw at Canvey Island no doubt, streaker and all. Trouble is we didn't make the next round after all the inspiring and luster-ing (yes, I know there is no such word). Perhaps you should support Swindon, they scored five against us, but oh... what happened when THEY played non-league opposition away in the Cup this weekend ?

The result was welcome but I'd be worried if you were impressed with anything else.

Whilst it was a professional performance it wasn't spectacular thought we ruined good work with a few wayward passes, Yates the main culprit and thought griff was on a skating rink at one stage but we scored the goals at the right times and okay some think that 4-0 was a bit flattering but how many times have vale been guilty of letting teams back in it at 2-0 for the last ten minutes and their were a few times that they threatened our goal then but excellent subs at the right time to kill the game off were 2 Good goals (excellent peno ) to put the game to bed something that I've wished for in many a game

Excellent performances from LInes, Myrie and Dicko

Need to be the same against Salisbury and we need to pack the park to roar them into the third round

Back to league action on sat V Shrewsbury to keep the momentum going

Onwards and upwards UTV

Archived