onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Shortwood Utd 0 Port Vale 4. Post Match Comments

Fosse69

Advert

Jenno was his usual self....both frustrating and outstanding in equal measures. Have to say though with him on the pitch we do look lively going forward. Because he is so unpredictable the opposition must be as bewildered as us as to what he's going to do! Got to keep him in the team as he can create absolute havoc at times.

We were pretty poor to be honest up front but Jenno excites /disappoints/frustrates us all and he is sometimes our only potent force. I said previously that Tom and Hughsey were not gelling and although I accept they "did the business" last season in an awful Division, they are not showing anything like this term. It was embarrassing at times last night to watch us hoof the ball up, Tom try and flick it on to Hughes, who was a bit leaden legged. Even Shortwood's part timer defence found that all to easy to cope with.

Yes, we ran them into the ground and they ran out of energy and it was when Ben and Hugill came on that we started to look like a professional. League outfit. Maybe food for thought for management then as to who we should be starting games with?

Was Grif wearing slippers last night? He seemed to be slipping and sliding all over the place. He is not my favourite and frankly I couldn't understand why he was in the stating line up at all.

Minor criticism over, job done, game won but poor one at that. Each game that passes this season seems to throw up too many questions as to what really is our best Team? When we attack we do look likely to cause anyone still many problems, but when we sit back or take our foot off the pedal we look so predictable, slow and lethargic.

We still need some new faces, better players in there for us to compete at the top of our Division, so maybe we can utilise any FA Cup profits(hopefully many more to come this year) to purchase/loan a few to continue our steady rise away from the years of doom and lower League apathy.:yes:

Jenno was his usual self....both frustrating and outstanding in equal measures. Have to say though with him on the pitch we do look lively going forward. Because he is so unpredictable the opposition must be as bewildered as us as to what he's going to do! Got to keep him in the team as he can create absolute havoc at times.

We were pretty poor to be honest up front but Jenno excites /disappoints/frustrates us all and he is sometimes our only potent force. I said previously that Tom and Hughsey were not gelling and although I accept they "did the business" last season in an awful Division, they are not showing anything like this term. It was embarrassing at times last night to watch us hoof the ball up, Tom try and flick it on to Hughes, who was a bit leaden legged. Even Shortwood's part timer defence found that all to easy to cope with.

Yes, we ran them into the ground and they ran out of energy and it was when Ben and Hugill came on that we started to look like a professional. League outfit. Maybe food for thought for management then as to who we should be starting games with?

Was Grif wearing slippers last night? He seemed to be slipping and sliding all over the place. He is not my favourite and frankly I couldn't understand why he was in the stating line up at all.

Minor criticism over, job done, game won but poor one at that. Each game that passes this season seems to throw up too many questions as to what really is our best Team? When we attack we do look likely to cause anyone still many problems, but when we sit back or take our foot off the pedal we look so predictable, slow and lethargic.

We still need some new faces, better players in there for us to compete at the top of our Division, so maybe we can utilise any FA Cup profits(hopefully many more to come this year) to purchase/loan a few to continue our steady rise away from the years of doom and lower League apathy.:yes:

To be fair, there is an obvious reason why Williamson always looks better when coming on as a sub, and especially exaggerated when playing against part timers for the last 20 mins.

Change the record. It's not his natural wing. He's played the vast majority of his career on the right wing and had numerous good games. To say that a left footer has to play on the left wing are dinosaur tactics straight out of a Mike Bassett beginners guide to tactics book.

Mike Bassett got England to the World Cup Semis . Mickey Adams and JMW have just helped Vale beat Shortwood , a team from the Eighth(?) tier.:D:razz:

To be fair, there is an obvious reason why Williamson always looks better when coming on as a sub, and especially exaggerated when playing against part timers for the last 20 mins.

I understand and accept that. Ben does seem to give more to our attacking options when he comes on fresh against tiring defenders but let's all be honest here, Pope and Hughes are not uprooting any trees this campaign, are they? Admittedly the service to them has been poor in general but it does give fans a boost when Ben and or Hugill are on the pitch and we actually look like we are trying to do something different. Still love the Pope though and feel so sorry for him having to just spend most of the games flicking on hoof balls!

Mike Bassett got England to the World Cup Semis . Mickey Adams and JMW have just helped Vale beat Shortwood , a team from the Eighth(?) tier.:D:razz:

Speaking of dinosaurs.... ;-)

I actually partly agree with OS. If we're playing a traditional 4-4-2 then the wingers job is to stretch the play, therefore it makes sense to have JMW on the left. However, if you play with 1 up top, and play a 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1 then the wide man is an inside forward and attacks the space in between the full back and the centre half, this is where JMW should play on the right and is his best and most natural position.

I thought the commentary on BT Sports last night was awful. They obviously knew nothing about Vale and it showed big time. I don't expect them to be experts on us but saying that Pope and Hughes worked/work well together was just daft. We picked up immeasurably when Williamson came on for Hughes. They also said that Griff is the capital on Montserrat. Glad I didn't pay a penny for it and my stream was faultless.

I keep seeing a ' professional ' performance.Our passing at times was, quite frankly,shocking.One or two players may as well have stayed at the park and ride.Lines stood out for me,what a good player.The result was obviously the most important factor so I suppose we can overlook the performance.

Old sage, I was smiling to myself last night in the first half, thinking of how you would be enjoying your pint watching Jenno tear their defence apart. We then seemed to starve him of the ball in the second half so he started to get his frustrating head on and looked out of sorts with his passing and runs. It's clear to us all that when he's on form he's a very potent threat for us but when Vale go on the back foot they actually do not pass to him or use his potential.

I have criticised Jenno many times for his apparent "going to sleep/unwillingness to get involved" in games but I am with you on the point that he can be our match winner at times.

Surely we could give him some much needed training/instruction to help him realise the obvious talent he does possess. If we could find some one in the Club to help him develop I can see he may become a more consistent threat. ****** frustrating at present flitting in and out of games!!;)

In the light of day we,'ve beat a team in the 8th tier of football.

With a sensible and thoroughly professional display--what did you expect? Bells & whistles? Through safely to round 2 and with another equally professional approach to that game it should see us through to round 3 and a potential big pay day!

With a sensible and thoroughly professional display--what did you expect? Bells & whistles? Through safely to round 2 and with another equally professional approach to that game it should see us through to round 3 and a potential big pay day!

Correct. You couldn't have asked for anymore from last night. Admittedly it wasn't a vintage performance but we managed to ease our way over a potential banana skin on a tricky surface with no injuries. Job done well done!

Three things stood out for me last night: vale did a very professional job and got through what has in the past been a tricky type of fixture, the referee was very poor and Neil Warnock is a real plank. Where does he get off with the “give the free kick to Shortwood because they are non-league and loosing”. Can you imagine the row if he thought that a ref had done that to one of his teams!!!!

Having said that, I thought that the game was played in a nice spirit and I liked the handshake line up at the end. Very professional and solid performance from us. Same thing again is needed in the next round and then fingers crossed for a moneyspinner in the 3rd would do for me.

Archived