onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Port Vale v Coventry City, 21 Sept. Pre Match/Match

Fosse69

I was at the 63/64 game as a teenager in the days when we were allowed to stand in the Hamil (open end of course at that time).

My recollections are that we won, was amazed at the Coventry boat song, and their keeper was named Lightning.

If anyone can confirm these memories I would be well pleased (particularly the last one).

Up the Vale

My view standing in Lorne St Hamil End, was a 1-1 draw, same as the away game the day after (Must have been Easter Monday and Tuesday). Lightening was a Cov goalie but not listed as a player that season, so probably Glazier. I think we were within a shout of promotion with 8 games to go, just a few points behind Cov, but we faded and Cov shot up to top spot.

Advert

My view standing in Lorne St Hamil End, was a 1-1 draw, same as the away game the day after (Must have been Easter Monday and Tuesday). Lightening was a Cov goalie but not listed as a player that season, so probably Glazier. I think we were within a shout of promotion with 8 games to go, just a few points behind Cov, but we faded and Cov shot up to top spot.

That was the team at Vale Park

GoalkeeperBob Wesson

DefenderBrian Hill

DefenderMick Kearns

Full backDietmar Bruck

Centre halfGeorge Curtis

Wing halfRon Farmer

Outside rightBilly Humphries

Centre forwardGeorge Kirby

WingerRonnie Rees

Inside forwardKen Hale

Inside forwardJohn Smith

That was the team at Vale Park

GoalkeeperBob Wesson

DefenderBrian Hill

DefenderMick Kearns

Full backDietmar Bruck

Centre halfGeorge Curtis

Wing halfRon Farmer

Outside rightBilly Humphries

Centre forwardGeorge Kirby

WingerRonnie Rees

Inside forwardKen Hale

Inside forwardJohn Smith

And the manager was Jimmy Hill.

If cov bring 2500 should be at least 9k +

I'm not sure there are 6,500 home fans who will come when Vale are losing matches, even if the performance at Orient was more than acceptable. I'd guess 5500 plus whatever they bring, which might still see the total reach 9000 or even 10000 as they seem to want to go to away matches rather than watch their team's 'home' games at Northampton. Madness when their club needs every penny and is having to let players go if you ask me but up to them.

We did actually play Coventry in a pre-season friendly a few seasons ago, Vale were 3-0 up at half time I remember, and Nathan Lowndes had a majestic game. Coventry hot back put we hung on to win 3-2 in what was one of the best friendlies I have seen Vale play in.

Norm tweeted this last night

I agree with him and think its a good idea

When Smurf goes over and claps the Coventry Fans - why not all the Vale fans applaud them as well. They are following their club the best they can at the moment and are facing problems. Would show the Coventry fans we know what they are going through and would be a nice gesture.

I'm not sure there are 6,500 home fans who will come when Vale are losing matches, even if the performance at Orient was more than acceptable. I'd guess 5500 plus whatever they bring, which might still see the total reach 9000 or even 10000 as they seem to want to go to away matches rather than watch their team's 'home' games at Northampton. Madness when their club needs every penny and is having to let players go if you ask me but up to them.

We did actually play Coventry in a pre-season friendly a few seasons ago, Vale were 3-0 up at half time I remember, and Nathan Lowndes had a majestic game. Coventry hot back put we hung on to win 3-2 in what was one of the best friendlies I have seen Vale play in.[/QU

it is a while since we played at home and whilst cov have fallen from grace many fans still regard them as a so called big club so i will be surprised if we dont turn out 6500k min . they are not far off 2.5k already so i would anticipate 3k cov and a poss double figure gate. either way it should be a good atmosphere.

With gates as they are, the club must be paying very well. Our average will be well above the 6,500 Smurf asked for.

He'll be more happy if that 6500+ is still the average at the season's conclusion, but with less 'glamorous' teams than Wolves and Coventry to come in the winter months let's all hope that our home form will encourage more fans to fill the stands for clubs that are likely to bring a smaller following!

Fosse and Mr Carter - thanks for the info about the 63/64 match.

Glad I wasn't dreaming about the song but was wrong about the result.

Could my memory though be earlier than that and be from the Division 4 champions season when Coventry were runners up?

I just have a memory of us kicking towards the Bycars and either Stan Steele or Terry Miles sending a long high shot from way out near the half way line and it sailing over their keepers head and then my mates saying he may be named Lightning but he didnt move like it.

Any info / confirmation would be much appreciated as it would be a shame for me to think that one of my favourite memories of early days at the Vale (despite me going since the age of 7 (1956)) is actually flawed.

It would also be nice to know that senility hasn't completely taken over yet!

Archived