onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Robs veiw on service feature

I feel it may be a deliberate decision not to recognise the ex-players as there may be a wish to sever ties with the past and emphasise that this is a new Port Vale. I believe there are very few, if any, recent ex-players in the organisation. I also think that Norman sees the Supporters Club as the only channel for communication between supporters and the club and the that communication should be open. Let us not go back to fragmented support when there were almost as many organisations as opinions amongst fans.

Bad timing living outside the area now was sad to have to be told about Barry hancocks passing this week met him in middleport and smallthorne on many occasions true gent loved the vale to bits.

Smurf is only interested in modern legends and we are fast running out of them. How old do you have to be to remember

A vale legend at least 15 ?

Advert

At last other people are seeng this. I was berated back in may for recognising this and accused of wanting the job etc etc. Smurf needs help way way out of his depth and drowning I could bring the additional 200k into vale within a week. The shop is ok but not spectacular we would have sold a boat load of shirts if they had arrived on the crest of the promotion wave. On th corporate side seen little evidence of anything new. Why did smurf bring wildes in with him in the first place ? Probbably to do the business end of things. Smurf got all hung up on the adulation of fans who worshipped the man who had saved the club from extinction and given them some sweeties out of a jar which turned out to be purse, hughes and the ever present legend birchall. He then decides to take on the role of three individuals and its simply not working as i said it wouldn't months ago.

A little use of paragraphs may help but I get the gist.

If nothing else, the honeymoon between the Chairman and (some of) the fans is over and it's no bad thing. He can't be all things to all men and not all of his moves will be applauded.

I didn't think electronic season tickets were a priority, and so far I have had to present it to a turnstile attendant who scans it - saving no time at all on the previous method of entry.

I didn't think putting up the admission cost a good idea. £22 will be a hard sell for walk-up punters when it comes to run-of-the-mill matches.

I couldn't help but smell naivety in what he came out with after the Wolves match.

Certainly the optimistic / over-optimistic talk coming out of the club has dried up since Paul Wildes left.

I just hope he doesn't walk away at the first sign of criticism - from Roman Abramovich down to the chairman of Accrington, it's part of the job.

Smurf is only interested in modern legends and we are fast running out of them.

We were shown this document as the club's new "philosophy" only a few months ago:

http://www.onevalefan.co.uk/Port-Vale.pdf

I quote:

"2013 is an opportune time to move forward, while remembering where we have been as a football club...."

"For those who have gone before...For those still to come..."

A little use of paragraphs may help but I get the gist.

If nothing else, the honeymoon between the Chairman and (some of) the fans is over and it's no bad thing. He can't be all things to all men and not all of his moves will be applauded.

I didn't think electronic season tickets were a priority, and so far I have had to present it to a turnstile attendant who scans it - saving no time at all on the previous method of entry.

I didn't think putting up the admission cost a good idea. £22 will be a hard sell for walk-up punters when it comes to run-of-the-mill matches.

I couldn't help but smell naivety in what he came out with after the Wolves match.

Certainly the optimistic / over-optimistic talk coming out of the club has dried up since Paul Wildes left.

I just hope he doesn't walk away at the first sign of criticism - from Roman Abramovich down to the chairman of Accrington, it's part of the job.

Good post mate.

I feel it may be a deliberate decision not to recognise the ex-players as there may be a wish to sever ties with the past and emphasise that this is a new Port Vale. I believe there are very few, if any, recent ex-players in the organisation. I also think that Norman sees the Supporters Club as the only channel for communication between supporters and the club and the that communication should be open. Let us not go back to fragmented support when there were almost as many organisations as opinions amongst fans.

I know my response may be a tad philosophical, but I'm part of Port Vale's past too, and I'm most definitely very much part of Port Vale's future - in my earthly form - and surprise, surprise the reason I am part of PVFC's past and future is, in part, because of past playing legends mentioned above.

To say,.."...it may be a deliberate decision not to recognise the ex-players..." is, in my opinion, very risky, whether we have one or many playing legends still with us.

I could understand it if such a view was held in relation to several of our 'not so legendry' custodians who left us in a right pickle, but not Graham Barnett et al.

"But Gary B also highlighted non-replies recently... are these all slipping under the radar or is there a much wider problem?"

Could well be Rob, and if what I am reading here about the move to the future rather than celebrating our past is correct, it may be that my take of the odd one slipping under the radar isn't accurate. I'm all for a new broom sweeping clean when there are improvements to be made, but not at the expense of losing touch with our heritage as a club.

Exactly right rob views that I have become well known for on ovf I first expressed them back in may but was largely shot down in flames as some charlatan. Smurf should have invested in some staff a head of retail and a head of commercial we are still a joke in terms of our commercial set.

You were shot down in flames for coming on OVF and expecting smurf to contact you here for 'help' as opposed to doing the normal thing most businessmen would do. Even telling him to contact you (and not seeing the ridiculousness of expecting a football club owner coming into a message board to ask someone called wereskintandweknowit for help). It was cringeworthy. Add to that the '200 billion pound' business, and the claim that if in charge you could improve turnover to a level that even V2001 beat. If you have the skills you claim, and want to help, you would contact him via the usual methods instead of heating your me-me drum on here.

I don't feel we have moved forward that much considering the amount of money that has allegedly been spent. None of my recent experiences when trying to spend money at the club have been very positive.

Seeing as you thought mar mate bill and co were the dogs bollards, your views on this are laughable. 18th in league 2, Sinnott, glover, gannon, admin, protests, split fan base, nil paid shares, mortgages, etc etc, need I go on. Now we are debt free, mid table league 1, new shop, facilities improving, new ticketing system, work on the pitch, players like lee hughes as opposed to kyle perry and danny glover, etc, etc. Only the most blinkered V2001 fanatic who refuses to acknowledge how wrong they were could possibly say we haven't moved forward much. If anything your post highlights how deluded those supporting V2001 were. If mar mate introduced any of the above, you would be hailing him as the messiah.

There can't possibly be a new broom policy at Vale Park as LODEY would be the first out the door. He truly epitomizes the trouble past of the our club and remains a cancer damaging our club.

The only problem with Lodey been at the club is he reminds folk of the old regime,if mar mate SMURF is happy to employ him he will do me ... Just my humble opinion of coarse ...

I am only reporting what I have experienced as a customer. Don't keep harping on about the debt free bit, that is because Mr Smurthwaite paid off the debt at 3p in the pound, writing off some Vale fans shareholding in the process. I haven't noticed the facilities improving that much, that is my point. Food in the directors lounge seems expensive and poor compared to how it was, I really struggled to buy some directors box tickets for a recent game, including spending quite a while on the expensive 0871 phone number without anyone answering.

Archived