Home Forum News History Predictions About Contact
Sign in to follow this  
blinkme

What are you listening to right now?

Hate to say it (cos I think he's a twonkl) but I'm also liking what I have heard.

He's working with a songwriter which has reigned him in a bit because that Beady Eye nonsense was appalling!

Alt-J Relaxer

Royal Blood - new one

Fleet foxes - new one

Also just hammered radiohead again after glasto. Awesome band who just keep getting better I think.

Just ordered the special vinyl edition of OKNOTOK off their website. Did question my own sanity after paying £100 for an album I bought for a tenner 20 years ago but I've had all their other special editions so far. Love that record too!

Alt-J Relaxer

Royal Blood - new one

Fleet foxes - new one

Also just hammered radiohead again after glasto. Awesome band who just keep getting better I think.

Just ordered the special vinyl edition of OKNOTOK off their website. Did question my own sanity after paying £100 for an album I bought for a tenner 20 years ago but I've had all their other special editions so far. Love that record too!

What's that Alt-J album like? I quite liked the first one, didn't mind the second but have heard quite poor reports of the most recent one.

What's that Alt-J album like? I quite liked the first one, didn't mind the second but have heard quite poor reports of the most recent one.

I really like it.

Not heard any of their other stuff, bar the odd one, so I couldn't really compare it.

The albums called Relaxer and it does live up to that. Mostly fairly chilled out. I do like the mix of styles they get into the songs. There's actually a cover of House Of The Rising Sun on there. Certainly not heard it done that way before!

Its an interesting listen.

Finbar & Eddie Furey

Music teacher played them to me/us years ago in a discussion about their unusual phrasing; forgot about them until this week when I stumbled across some of their stuff

One of my favourite bands of recent years has been Silver Jews. They were basically just the one guy, David Berman, who sometimes got helped out by folk from Pavement. He disbanded Silver Jews a decade ago as he wanted to focus on battling his father, a notorious Republican named Richard Berman (who had the charming nickname of Dr. Evil!). Anyway, DB is back now with his new project, Purple Mountains, and 2 songs from the forthcoming album and they seem to be career highs. Poor old David is in a bit of a sorry state at the moment - he's previously attempted suicide by using crack-cocaine, booze and Xanax but meeting his partner Cassie seemed to turn things round for him. Unfortunately, they've now split up and, judging from interviews, he's a broken man. The lyrics to the songs certainly seem to bear this out although the music is really lovely summery stuff. I think he's one of the best lyricist working today.

Darkness and Cold -

All My Happiness is Gone (starts about 2:05) -

Ah, ^this^ is such a great record. I know no-one reads these music threads but it's really worth checking out. Such brilliantly bleak lyrics - “...when I tried to drown my thoughts in gin, I found my worst ideas know how to swim”