• OVF player sponsorship 2022

£10 to enter. More details and a link to donate can be found here

West Ham v Port Vale

Formby Valiant

I'm not quite as old as some but I do remember a match at West Ham around Christmas time 1990 I think. It chucked it down for the whole game but Vale played really well and were unlucky to only draw 0-0. Probably Ronnie Jepson's best game in a Vale shirt. The West Ham fans very kindly put the window through of one of the coaches so it had to make the journey back to Burslem in the pouring rain with no back window.

Advert:

I remember that one. At the time I was a friend of Vale full back, John 'Chick' Brodie. Bobby Moore was playing for West Ham, and apparently the referee addressed him as 'Mr Moore' throughout the match!

That's why my Dad (a Stoke fan) took me; a chance to see Bobby Moore up close. I don't think he expected it to turn me into a vale fan

The FA Cup game against the Hammers in 1973 was one I remember well but for the wrong reasons. Came home from Uni to watch it and got here early in the Bycars end only to have to do a runner as the stewards let in a sizeable contingent of away supporters. There was no separation of fans in those days and they proceeded to charge us with menace. I well recall jumping over into the Lorne Street end to escape (I could do it in those days!) and then somehow law and order was restored. Not that it got any better. We gave a good account of ourselves only for Clyde Best, West Ham's big Bermudan forward, to score a cracking goal with his head. Game over. A disappointing day and one or two unpleasant lessons learned about the unacceptable face of football. Our later meetings with the hammers were much more enjoyable!

The FA Cup game against the Hammers in 1973 was one I remember well but for the wrong reasons. Came home from Uni to watch it and got here early in the Bycars end only to have to do a runner as the stewards let in a sizeable contingent of away supporters. There was no separation of fans in those days and they proceeded to charge us with menace. I well recall jumping over into the Lorne Street end to escape (I could do it in those days!) and then somehow law and order was restored. Not that it got any better. We gave a good account of ourselves only for Clyde Best, West Ham's big Bermudan forward, to score a cracking goal with his head. Game over. A disappointing day and one or two unpleasant lessons learned about the unacceptable face of football. Our later meetings with the hammers were much more enjoyable!

I thought it was Pat Holland who scored for them?

Advert:

• 2 weeks later...
Advert:

Advert:

I was nearly 8 and my dad wouldn't take me because he expected trouble. He did tell me that Tommy Mac had a great game and took the **** out of Bobby Moore

I'm remember Tommy nutmegging Moore on the half way line and getting pulled down as he went round him,both ended up in a heap,its alleged that the referee asked Mr Moore if was ok

Archived