onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

FA Cup replays scrapped

I noted this point in a Guardian article:

A result of lengthy negotiations between the FA and the Premier League the new settlement will see the latter increase funding to the football pyramid and grassroots by £33m per season.

And there you go - the FA has sold the soul of the FA Cup for £33m.

• Like 5

Advert

20 minutes ago, valeparklife said:

Did they EFL have any say in this?

729 teams compete in this cup, why have 20 dictated these new rules?

Sold it's soul.

It's the FA Cup - so it's operated by the FA. The PL chucked the FA £33m, primarily to shorten the competition/move the competition forward so they have a longer break. The FA took the money, ignoring the damage the changes will do. The EFL can't do much about it.

• Confused 1

I've just been reflecting on how so many of my greatest memories as a Vale fan have involved cup replays.

The FA Cup giantkillings over Southampton, Derby County and Everton were all achieved via a replay. The 1988 cup run involved two replays while the 1998 penalty shootout loss to Arsenal was also the result of a replay.

Further back and before my time, the famous run to the semi-final in 1954 also involved a replay win in the early stages. 

:upthevale:

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Is anyone actually surprised..?

They're making their own beds, and they'll have to lie in it.

If it gets too silly Vale could always rejoin the staffs senior league.

Cheaper tickets, and local away days all year round... in the finest county in the land 

Edited by Connolly

So because of more European competitions the likes of Crawley v Leyton Orient can't have a replay in the First Round.  Some of my best Vale memories with Vale are cup replays, Everton, Derby and for older fans Sunderland and Liverpool even though we lost. Never again!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, robf said:

I've just been reflecting on how so many of my greatest memories as a Vale fan have involved cup replays.

The FA Cup giantkillings over Southampton, Derby County and Everton were all achieved via a replay. The 1988 cup run involved two replays while the 1998 penalty shootout loss to Arsenal was also the result of a replay.

Further back and before my time, the famous run to the semi-final in 1954 also involved a replay win in the early stages. 

On the flip side, Canvey, Chasetown and yes Arsenal. I think for David's v Goliaths, most small teams will have a better chance to progress than it going to a replay and in turn take home a winners cheque. I don't think it's a bad thing.

EDIT: Just had a quick count up going back to 87-88. I think we have won 12 and lost 8 replays. SO we have benefited from them overall. However, the big games we lost, Watford, Leeds, Arsenal, we would have had a better chance to win on penalties the first time around.....but then again we lost on penalties to Arsenal anyway so maybe not. Then look at the Dartford replay, Dartford traveling all the way to Stoke on a cold Tuesday night in winter. Was that of any benefit to anybody either?

Maybe I am 50/50 on this having thought about it.

Edited by MelbourneValiant

I'm in two minds with this. Whilst it is galling to not get a replay when you play a bigger club, do we actually lose money when we play the likes of Burton and Stevenage as we did this season. When the share of the gate money is split between the 2 clubs and the F.A. minus match day expenses etc. By far the majority of our games in the FA cup involve non league and lower league clubs. I would say most of those games would be played at a loss unless the win bonus covers any shortfalls.

• Like 1

The excitement of the FA Cup has gone, strangled by the Premier league, back in the day getting a draw at Liverpool and bringing them back to Vale Park on the Monday was better than Christmas day for me, yes we lost to a late extra time goal but I still remember the atmosphere.

Same with the Arsenal game the excitement and anticipation, to me as an old codger seems to have been slowly rubbed out,  who remembers the Leeds v Chelsea replay at Old Trafford, beats anything Sky puts on now, Fa Cup final day is just another fixture, shame really the worlds finest Cup competition devalued.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, robf said:

At one time there was no limit to the number of replays, at the Liverpool game we were wondering on how to get to Old Trafford for the 2nd Replay and then Thomson ended the dream. It was a wise decision to limit replays to one, probably with the invention of penalty shoot -outs

21 minutes ago, mbycars said:

I'm in two minds with this. Whilst it is galling to not get a replay when you play a bigger club, do we actually lose money when we play the likes of Burton and Stevenage as we did this season. When the share of the gate money is split between the 2 clubs and the F.A. minus match day expenses etc. By far the majority of our games in the FA cup involve non league and lower league clubs. I would say most of those games would be played at a loss unless the win bonus covers any shortfalls.

But regardless of the merits or not, is it right that the Premier League (and its money) should decide that? It's like when they got involved in the Football League Trophy - a competition that by its very title was exclusively for Football League clubs to take part in.

It may be right to have a debate as to whether replays should stay or go (I'd prefer them to stay) by the clubs who could lose out financially. 

However, what isn't right is a bigger and richer organisation throwing a load of cash on the table and asking the FA to change rounds of a competition that don't even involve Premier League clubs.

• Like 3