onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Summer transfer rumours and speculation

Advert

2 hours ago, Osh said:

DM - i've heard this is close to a defo deal.  Again only a rumour but he'd be a great signing - even at 34yrs old.

Just out of interest Osh what makes him a great signing? It looks like he has played 5 games in 2yrs and at 34 only 220 odd in his career

Personally I would sooner us go for one who has played some games and not looking like a risk

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, Doha said:

Bearing in mind the past league one and two transfer fees linked earlier, if we timidly fold regarding the fee demands for a kid who's scored 4 in 4 for England at his age level, and scored a number of daft solo efforts at EFL level, I'll be furious.

Again, I am NOT comparing the two players here, it's simply to express how daft the market price can be - Nick Powell only played 55 games for Crewe before Man Utd bid a £6m package for him. He played a grand total of....46 minutes in the league for them before getting shipped out to Wigan on a permanent. For free! There are clubs at that level quite prepared to pay silly money for EFL players, immediately loan them out a level or two higher, and then assess a few years down the line whether they're actually good enough.

If Dipepa is to leave, we have to be realistic from a business point of view in terms of considering him an asset with an actual value to the club and a market value to those with capital to carelessly chance their arm with. We need to play poker here, the "we won't stand in any players way" timid nonsense needs to stop, it's economic lunacy.

Edit - forgot to say, in today's money that Powell transfer would be worth more like £8.3m.

The one we need to hit the jackpot is Chelsea if they get involved. Their owner is the kind who will just look at whatever the highest bid we receive is and then double it just because he can. Get whoever we sell to as well to agree to fill one of those two home friendly slots with a promise of bringing the first team as well would be nice.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Doha said:

I am not comparing the below players to Ben Garrity.

I am not pretending the fees quoted are up front cash - many are made up of % add ons. Conversely, many are 'undervalued' as they are quite old transfers that haven't been adjusted for inflation to show the current real terms cost.

What am I doing it sharing some examples of previous L2 transfer fees.

And as we've just left L1, here are some past transfer fees for L1 midfielders of Garrity's rough age group.

Football isn't a rational business. A players actual value and his current market value can be massively divergent, and widely fluctuate at different times of the year as the windows come and go and as clubs pick up injuries or miss out on other targets and now need option B.

What is that supposed to mean?

Quite a few of the league 1 players are from clubs which dropped out of The Championship in the previous season, who moved in the summer. 

The League 2 it's similar, someone like Ched Evans never played in the league. He moved back to Sheffield after a season in League 1 for Chesterfield.  The only other player in the top 50 Ben's age or older is Matt Tubbs. Not a transfer that worked out that well for the buying club. 

Jamie Vardy is an odd ball in there. He got signed before Fleetwood ever played league 2 football I think. I'm sure he signed for Leicester as soon as The Conference season finished. 

2 hours ago, Doha said:

He only seems to have played 20 games in the last 4 years.

None whatsoever last season.

9 in 22/23.

4 in 21/22.

7 in 20/21.

That's rather worrying. 

He hasn't played more than about 20 games a season since 16/17. In fact in a career spanning 16 years he's only played over 30 games just twice.

This is my concern with that one,if we are after experience i would sooner try for Hector or someone else of that ilk

I must be missing something with Kelly,i just aren't getting it,in fact after a great start to the window if this one happens then it's dropped a level,only my opinion of course and that usually means jack <ovf censored> 🙂 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, JRC said:

Quite a few of the league 1 players are from clubs which dropped out of The Championship in the previous season, who moved in the summer. 

The League 2 it's similar, someone like Ched Evans never played in the league. He moved back to Sheffield after a season in League 1 for Chesterfield.  The only other player in the top 50 Ben's age or older is Matt Tubbs. Not a transfer that worked out that well for the buying club. 

Jamie Vardy is an odd ball in there. He got signed before Fleetwood ever played league 2 football I think. I'm sure he signed for Leicester as soon as The Conference season finished. 

It goes back 4 pages, 100 players. Calvin Andrew is on there, in today's money he went for just under a million!

2 hours ago, rayzer said:

Why would Barnsley be interested in Ben Garrity. IF Darrell Clarke was interested in a quality midfielder then I am sure he would offer a contract to a player they released a week or so ago. Herbie Kane is a player I would love at Vale but I doubt we could attract.

Regarding Ben, he is under contract and would be integral Ito us getting out of the 2nd division, so let's not try to move him on as little Port Vale are holding him back. Think back to the days of Ray Walker who we had plenty of offers for, but the club showed him enough love that he was happy to stay where he was really wanted. The same thing could be said of Ben and if we show him how much he is wanted then I am sure we get him to stay. The same goes for Chislett. We need to keep them both.

The one I can possibly see moving on is Dipepa, as I am sure that if a premier club came calling then it would be understandable for him to have his head turned (as well as his family).

So far i have seen links to Arsenal,West Ham,Man Utd and Tottenham to name just 4 who appear to be interested in him,the best thing for us is that one of them bids for him and starts a bidding war

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Doha said:

It goes back 4 pages, 100 players. Calvin Andrew is on there, in today's money he went for just under a million!

I spotted him, although it was only 600k that Palace wasted. Still places him in the top 50, which show million pound fees from league 1 are rare.

6 minutes ago, werstayinup said:

So far i have seen links to Arsenal,West Ham,Man Utd and Tottenham to name just 4 who appear to be interested in him,the best thing for us is that one of them bids for him and starts a bidding war

Carol will accept the first bid. 

• Confused 1

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, JRC said:

I spotted him, although it was only 600k that Palace wasted. Still places him in the top 50, which show million pound fees from league 1 are rare.

600k in 2008. The equivalent to 945k now.

Edited by Doha

12 minutes ago, werstayinup said:

This is my concern with that one,if we are after experience i would sooner try for Hector or someone else of that ilk

I must be missing something with Kelly,i just aren't getting it,in fact after a great start to the window if this one happens then it's dropped a level,only my opinion of course and that usually means jack <ovf censored> 🙂 

Agree don’t understand this one at all 

47 minutes ago, Doha said:

Bearing in mind the past league one and two transfer fees linked earlier, if we timidly fold regarding the fee demands for a kid who's scored 4 in 4 for England at his age level, and scored a number of daft solo efforts at EFL level, I'll be furious.

Again, I am NOT comparing the two players here, it's simply to express how daft the market price can be - Nick Powell only played 55 games for Crewe before Man Utd bid a £6m package for him. He played a grand total of....46 minutes in the league for them before getting shipped out to Wigan on a permanent. For free! There are clubs at that level quite prepared to pay silly money for EFL players, immediately loan them out a level or two higher, and then assess a few years down the line whether they're actually good enough.

If Dipepa is to leave, we have to be realistic from a business point of view in terms of considering him an asset with an actual value to the club and a market value to those with capital to carelessly chance their arm with. We need to play poker here, the "we won't stand in any players way" timid nonsense needs to stop, it's economic lunacy.

Edit - forgot to say, in today's money that Powell transfer would be worth more like £8.3m.

I still think we will get well over 1m for him if he continues at this tournament how he is doing and with the amount of interest now in him,i mean over 1m up front could be a lot more with add ons etc

I will stick my neck out and say barring some major incident i can see him ending up being our record transfer fee received

• Like 2

1 hour ago, werstayinup said:

They might want 600k(and that was only a rumour which seems to have no legs) it doesn't mean they will get it

Doesn’t mean we will get £2million, but to start negotiations @ £500k you will be lucky to get £300k. As others have said, chance of going back up is worth far more than £300k and Ben will be a key ingredient.