onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Charlton (H) match thread - 6th Jan

robf

6 hours ago, Braziliance said:

Hello again chaps, thought I'd poke my head in as this fixture draws nearer.

First of all hope you're all well and had a good new year and Christmas 👍

I have seen you aren't in the best of forms like ourselves and the general consensus is, manager out. I can completely sympathise with this as I am losing the will to go to games, that's how it is for fans I suppose though. 

I am genuinely really looking forward to this game though, football aside, as its my first visit to Vale Park and I'm not sure if anyone recalls but I vlog for Charlton and did a vlog for our home tie against yous: 

Was a cracking game for a neutral I suppose and some cracking goals. Mainly though I loved speaking to your fans who were in great form and just a level headed bunch

As I am drawing closer to the game, first of all, I'd love to meet some of you and get you on the vlog, secondly I would love to get the fans I spoke to on the first vlog; Ian & James and Terry & Darren, if anyone knows them or they post here would love to have them on again and finally, what would you want to see from an away fan when talking about your club?

I have fairly routine things I do such as shots of the ground, a chat about the clubs history, but is there anything you'd like me to include that represents your club in the best way? 

I'll pop in here until the fixture, again look forward to it (despite our poor form) and am always happy to see a new ground ticked off 🙂

Enjoy the 3 points 

Advert

Given the first few posts on here have been glass half empty/influenced by the January weather (admittedly horrible), short daylight (or absence thereof) and persistent rain, I thought I'd post something a bit more optimistic to add balance.  Granted, losing to Carlisle by a soft penalty and a poorly defended header at the death had me also very angry - a late loser or a late winner always generates either lingering depression or ecstasy, but we are still mid table-ish and our form is slowly improving. Based on ours and Charltons form we should win the home game, although a draw wouldn't be unsurprising.

It is obvious, that injuries to our squad will influence the outcome  - here's hoping Debrah, BG and Devine are available as they have been the most consistent players during recent weeks. 

We have struggled against Charlton's forward players in the past and I see the same again I'm afraid. Their defence will give you a chance but we'll be basically playing a lot of second string players and I just don't see anything coming from this game. Would love to be proven wrong but we're just so up and down at the moment.

Sent from my SM-A137F using onevalefan mobile app

13 minutes ago, leedsvaliant said:

We have struggled against Charlton's forward players in the past and I see the same again I'm afraid. Their defence will give you a chance but we'll be basically playing a lot of second string players and I just don't see anything coming from this game. Would love to be proven wrong but we're just so up and down at the moment.

Sent from my SM-A137F using onevalefan mobile app

They seem pretty similar to Blackpool, good wingers and forwards but terrible away record and not defensively sound. If Wilson and Uche can cause trouble like they did against Blackpool we will have a chance but Garrity is the worry as without his ratting we often get over run, hence the defence usually leaks like it did when he was out last season.

Need some bodies back or through the door for this, as it stands we could feasibly be playing Lowe and Walters in the holding and Chissy and Wilson as our midfield 4.

I can't see how we are going get anything out of this game as we could be without 12 players.  Crosby isn't picking conlon or Cass despite them being fit as by the looks of it he wants transfer them out, loft is.ill, then Clarke,debrah,sang,devine,garrity,Thomas,ojo,Jones and plant are injured or doubtful. That means we're stuck player young lads like shorrock,Walters,dipepa and Lomax aged 16 to 18 years old against a really experienced team. We may even find more youngsters like McDermott, buah,mahaffy and cousins on the bench to make the numbers up. So basically it's a first team fixture but in reality for us it's a reserve and youth team game with the side we will be fielding.

Need find some momentum in games we are either the good the bad or the ugly.

Depends who's fit any more performances like Cheltenham/Middlesborough/and Carlisle and I might call it a day.

More Barnsley second half and Wigan all game required .

Wonder whatVale turn up.

4 hours ago, Andy Proctor said:

I can't see how we are going get anything out of this game as we could be without 12 players.  Crosby isn't picking conlon or Cass despite them being fit as by the looks of it he wants transfer them out, loft is.ill, then Clarke,debrah,sang,devine,garrity,Thomas,ojo,Jones and plant are injured or doubtful. That means we're stuck player young lads like shorrock,Walters,dipepa and Lomax aged 16 to 18 years old against a really experienced team. We may even find more youngsters like McDermott, buah,mahaffy and cousins on the bench to make the numbers up. So basically it's a first team fixture but in reality for us it's a reserve and youth team game with the side we will be fielding.

You’re right, all we can hope is that a few days rest is enough to get at least a couple of the absentees back, plus we could have a new player in.  Unlikely.

Crosby has put forward a case of stretched resources to explain the wider context of defeat at Carlisle. It looks like this is a genuine threat for this game. But we need to win some games no matter what. 

I'm looking for Crosby to show sense. In other words play the fittest player in the best formation possible. Not play 532 in any case with half the players for that formation way off match fitness. 

7 hours ago, Warren said:

Crosby has put forward a case of stretched resources to explain the wider context of defeat at Carlisle. It looks like this is a genuine threat for this game. But we need to win some games no matter what. 

I'm looking for Crosby to show sense. In other words play the fittest player in the best formation possible. Not play 532 in any case with half the players for that formation way off match fitness. 

The more choice of players Crosby got at his disposal seems to confuse him even more

11 minutes ago, Brian Johnson said:

The more choice of players Crosby got at his disposal seems to confuse him even more

He's very trying at times. Ranging from bringing on the wrong subs to playing the players out of best positions to mind numbingly boring games where Vale can't even mount a decent attack. I suppose the attacking has improved. Where I am with Crosby now is that I like the guy and the way he represents the club. So I'm prepared to stick with him and see this season as development. Provided we don't go into real crisis where relegation is more likely than not. If that happens we'd need a fireman manager - Clarke not doing badly in that role presently! 

9 minutes ago, Warren said:

He's very trying at times. Ranging from bringing on the wrong subs to playing the players out of best positions to mind numbingly boring games where Vale can't even mount a decent attack. I suppose the attacking has improved. Where I am with Crosby now is that I like the guy and the way he represents the club. So I'm prepared to stick with him and see this season as development. Provided we don't go into real crisis where relegation is more likely than not. If that happens we'd need a fireman manager - Clarke not doing badly in that role presently! 

No coincidence for me that our handful of of half decent performances over the past few months have been when he's not got much to choose from, Burton in the FA Cup, Blackpool spring to mind.

When he's got a good amount of players available to him, that for me, causes Crosby problems.

That's when you start seeing players being played unnecessary out of position, this slow possession football being played and then the constant misuse of subs

30 minutes ago, Brian Johnson said:

Sure, he was really confused after the Barnsley game for a couple of months while he had a near full squad at his disposal.

Archived