onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Blackpool (H) match thread - 29th Dec

robf

Advert

Just now, Alfie1962 said:

There is no doubt the pathway is far better but surely that is down to the manager in giving young players a chance. Will Ryder does talk well and it seems more money going into the academy. The proof will be if the academy continues to produce the same quality as the current crop.

think it's a combination of both & others involved behind the scenes 

• Like 1

5000 odd Fri night 6300 on boxing day home support ,  I'm.sure most folk are off work ain't we got 6500 season ticket holders so surely them attendances do not add up or folk do not give season tickets friends or family if cannot attend or maybe they just buy a season ticket to support clubs finances but never attend .

I'm.on the page where the second half display v Barnsley should have put 2000 on the gate ,so to see 1300 odd less is somewhat disappointing but other than that what a terrific result for the football club going forwards we play so much better with big Uche and Wilson up there Uche was a man mountain all night will not be long till he scores then watch him go .

Wilsons performances since coming back have delighted me .

I love the young ones enthusiasm .

Crosby has got be credited for the way he as brought on  all the young players on aided superbly by Will ryder .

The senior pros did well last night so credit to them 

Looking forwards to Charlton  next  sat .

Edited by Devine intervention

57 minutes ago, Brian Johnson said:

Just going back to our fine youngsters. 

Are we waiting until they turn 18 before signing them on a professional contract?

I may be wrong, but I think standard practice is that they sign at the age of 18. Prior to that they are scholars which means they can the benefit of the EFL sanctioned education programme which is the equivalent qualification of a college level education (A-levels, NVQs etc). They can be offered professional terms prior to that and then sign (like James Plant). If they are scholars they can still play first team fixtures (like the academy guys are at the moment). I would guess Lomax, Shorrock etc have maybe developed quicker than expected and therefore a professional deal hasn't been on the agenda as urgently as it is now.

What's not clear to me is what contract Rhys Walters is on now as he's too old to be on a scholars contract but as far as we're aware, hasn't yet signed professionally. 

Also, it appears McDermott has dropped off the radar completely?

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Granville said:

I may be wrong, but I think standard practice is that they sign at the age of 18. Prior to that they are scholars which means they can the benefit of the EFL sanctioned education programme which is the equivalent qualification of a college level education (A-levels, NVQs etc). They can be offered professional terms prior to that and then sign (like James Plant). If they are scholars they can still play first team fixtures (like the academy guys are at the moment). I would guess Lomax, Shorrock etc have maybe developed quicker than expected and therefore a professional deal hasn't been on the agenda as urgently as it is now.

What's not clear to me is what contract Rhys Walters is on now as he's too old to be on a scholars contract but as far as we're aware, hasn't yet signed professionally. 

The reason I asked is because I thought it was 18 but then have come across this today.

(I have screened  shot instead of attaching a link so all Vale fans feel clean & safe if they were to go on their official website)

Also, how I came across this was through a chap on instagram called Mark Rees. He liked a post by Lomax and by looking at Rees instagram page, he seems to have something to with both Shorrock & Lomax plus the lad that's signed for Stoke today.

Anybody any idea who Mark Rees is because he seems to have a knack of finding young talent or working with young talent

Stoke City FC - Gabriel Kelly pens first professional contract.jpeg

1 hour ago, Granville said:

Rhys is a second year scholar, he is 18 but on his 2nd year.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Brian Johnson said:

The reason I asked is because I thought it was 18 but then have come across this today.

(I have screened  shot instead of attaching a link so all Vale fans feel clean & safe if they were to go on their official website)

Also, how I came across this was through a chap on instagram called Mark Rees. He liked a post by Lomax and by looking at Rees instagram page, he seems to have something to with both Shorrock & Lomax plus the lad that's signed for Stoke today.

Anybody any idea who Mark Rees is because he seems to have a knack of finding young talent or working with young talent

Stoke City FC - Gabriel Kelly pens first professional contract.jpeg

Don't know him but maybe a agent. He certainly didn't find Jack.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, The man in the pub said:

I thought after the Wigan game that the penny had dropped with Crosby in that his usual style of play wasnt working and he had tried something different and struck gold. I was therefore disappointed when in subsequent games we then reverted back to Crosbys bad old ways, Ripley isnt our playmaker.

So the Blackpool game is like the Wigan game in my view, we  played on the front foot and the fans loved it and got behind the team. Please Mr Crosby more please, this works and is exactly what will get the stayaway fans back into the ground.

The proof of the pudding will be at Carlisle where, with their form, we have no excuse to go defensive and every reason to attack.

So same again please Crozzer, Uche and Willo and Chizzy just behind.

Win and we could be in 12th, nose bleed territory 😱

• Like 3

Crosby not under pressure from me and not under significant pressure at the club I imagine.

At the start of the season I’d have been content with our current league position at the turn of the year. We need a good January in the loan market because as encouraging as it is to see these youngsters come through and get a run out, the physical demands on them are not sustainable.

If you’re trying to develop a new way of playing, that takes time and August to December isn’t that much time. In the medium to long term I’m pretty confident we’re going in the right direction.

How the pitch holds up for the next couple of months is also key.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, mbycars said:

On reflection it was a very hard working team performance last night. We were much more direct with Alfie controlling from his deep midfield role as he did in the 2nd half against Barnsley. The defence stood firm with no real mistakes. Shorrock was immense with good defending and pacy runs down the left. Lomax looks assured with the ball but was struggling 2nd half with the pace of their wing back. Wilson, Garrity, Chislett and Uche were superb and the focus of all our good play and movement. Chislett has been a revelation lately, playing more central and running at defenders which causes panic stations.

My overriding memory last night was of Uche who held the ball up really well and used his strength to take on defenders. After 30 minutes they had 2 players man marking him yet was still bustling his way through them. The run he made which finished with a thunderbolt of a shot that their keeper just tipped over was worth the entrance money alone. The more direct style plus some good passing made it a very entertaining game to watch. Keep it up boys.

Chizzy is one of the players who benefits most when Wilson is playing, Wilson makes clever runs which give Chizzy that vital half yard of space to get a shot off or make a pass. Credit to the manager for his very brave starting 11.  Hope after this he realises that the possession stat doesn’t mean anything.  2 forwards and a more direct approach is what the fans have been wanting for weeks.  Also think Alfie has slotted into the Olly role perfectly and his disguised pass to Chizzy leading to the first goal was worth the entrance money.

• Like 4