onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Sports Science

Smallthorne clampet

Advert

35 minutes ago, fuzzyvalefan said:

Sports science can be a great tool when combined with common sense, a bit of nous and experience and a dash of gut feeling.  Like most things in life, balance is the key.

Exactly! It's 'sports science' not an exact science! It's not like chemistry.

Managers have to use their 'nous' as well, with the intention of winning games.

• Like 2

Dont get me wrong I know they are sports men super fit etc, but when you are talking 10 to 12 weeks for an injury makes me think! The doctor signed  me off after 12 weeks for a hip replacement , bearing in mind I use ladders and do a fair amount of walking fr my job.

• Like 1

Its down to the athletic nature of players now, its not like the 90's where a player would have a few pints before playing BUT you can be over reliant on it, you have to use your eyes as well as to what is going on, whats the point in tactics to change games if all your subs are pre planned due to science?

Sports Science is vital for any sports team to be successful in the modern era. However it doesn’t make a poor coach or a group of players world beaters alone.

I mean daft decisions like not signing any strikers in the summer or signing players with dodgy injury records, or even hiring a manager with no experience who previously contributed to the club’s existing struggles isn’t going to change poor outcomes. 

Those points above were all know and avoiding them required a good mix of financial management and common sense. 

5 hours and 30 minutes. That's the total amount of extra time in our players legs as a squad. Time that may have been avoided by adding 15 minutes to the playing time of Arblaster and Devine. A macro approach would be a far better metric in an FA Cup replay than micro metrics. Does "The Science" take into account financial gains to swell the squad in January, increasing options on individual playing times? The science (as usual) was flawed.

Edited by bobbymanc
  • Like 3

5 hours and 30 minutes. That's the total amount of extra time in our players legs as a squad. Time that may have been avoided by adding 15 minutes to the playing time of Arblaster and Devine. A macro approach would be a far better metric in an FA Cup replay than micro metrics. Does "The Science" take into account financial gains to swell the squad in January, increasing options on individual playing times? The science (as usual) was flawed.

This hits the nail on the head mate. End of thread

14 minutes ago, bobbymanc said:

"The science" produces medical information, applying that is a management decision together with the associated risks of the effects. 

• Like 1

I remember the days at Vale  when football was a simple game, end to end football win or lose it was better than this boring crap being served up currently! Seems that our current manager can’t think for himself and has the “science” as his excuse for failure. Just my opinion.

• Like 3

This is a one sided debate in that we see the consequences of sports science when we follow it, make subs and lose a game.

The truth is the upsides are less obvious in that we'll never applaud a player remaining injury free as that's the norm or the expectation.

Having said that I do agree it can feel we are too tilted towards the science. If that whole approach is managing the risks of injury, we should also balance that by pushing it at the margins to win games.

• Like 1