onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Exeter C (A) Match thread 9th Dec

Fosse69

5 hours ago, LancyTony said:

Well - if you want facts - Josh Thomas has scored 3 goals for us, so far. 

The points I didn't think I would need to make, about Jesse Debrah, are that he wasn't really on our radar, nor anyone else's, apparently?  Is a great size for a defender, but is fast for someone his size, and is comfortable with the ball...oh...and he can defend, too! He will be a six-figure signing if someone comes in for him...maybe top end of six figures, too?  And not many on here ever mentioned him. so that was a good piece of work.

I could also mention Ripley, Chisnall, Clarke, Iacovitti, Sang, Grant, Lowe and the 4 loanees - Arblaster (you may have heard of these?), Devine, Thomas and Balmer...oh...and reserve GK Leutweiler?

Not a bad rebuild, really!

No doubt he has made some good signings, although not all those you have mentioned have been particularly good, but we have failed to sign a decent striker except arguably one on loan, plus we are reportedly paying big wages for the 2 we have signed. Debrah is way off a top end six figure player currently, decent signing and he will improve but he’s not been that impressive, decent defender but I’d disagree he’s comfortable on the ball, certainly needs to work on his distribution, Smith is a better passer of the ball but why do you keep bringing Debrah up? The areas of weakness due to poor recruitment has been in attack and this was what was highlighted.

Advert

20 hours ago, MBE said:

Yes RZ, based on a playing budget provided by Carol and Crosby's instructions what he was looking for a player physically and technically. Crosby has spoke about this so many times at great length about the process in the summer. He does the same as Clarke. The player is identified, he interviews them then says yes or no.. Its Crosby's final choice.

Have you got reference to these comments?

Also, who short lists the players for interviews? And based on what?

2 hours ago, philpvfc said:

Have you got reference to these comments?

Also, who short lists the players for interviews? And based on what?

Phil, Listen to the podcast interview he described the process. He also explained the process in detail at the fans forum as did Flitcroft.

No doubt he has made some good signings, although not all those you have mentioned have been particularly good, but we have failed to sign a decent striker except arguably one on loan, plus we are reportedly paying big wages for the 2 we have signed. Debrah is way off a top end six figure player currently, decent signing and he will improve but he’s not been that impressive, decent defender but I’d disagree he’s comfortable on the ball, certainly needs to work on his distribution, Smith is a better passer of the ball but why do you keep bringing Debrah up? The areas of weakness due to poor recruitment has been in attack and this was what was highlighted.

The idea that Debrah was some sort of unknown quantity on no ones radar that Flitcroft plucked from non-league is also wrong. He trialled with Barnsley before us and was offered a contract by them but failed his medical. He was also linked to Notts County, Carlisle, Bolton, Lincoln, Northampton and Swindon before he came to us.

Brilliant player, very glad we were patient enough to work through his injury issues and not just cast him aside like Barnsley did.

5 hours ago, MBE said:

Phil, Listen to the podcast interview he described the process. He also explained the process in detail at the fans forum as did Flitcroft.

Not that I don’t believe you but don’t know how much he plays a part. Does he shortlist the players he wants? Does he get given a shortlist and then decides? Can he dictate the type of players he brings in and sets the wages? 

If he is doing all the above then there is no need to have a DOF.

6 minutes ago, philpvfc said:

Not that I don’t believe you but don’t know how much he plays a part. Does he shortlist the players he wants? Does he get given a shortlist and then decides? Can he dictate the type of players he brings in and sets the wages? 

If he is doing all the above then there is no need to have a DOF.

Crosby himself said it’s a collective identifying players who we have scouted, analytics from the scouting team, players presented through agents and who he and his coaches knows. The wages is responsibility of Flitctoft.

8 hours ago, philpvfc said:

We will have to agree to disagree. Debrah has come from nowhere to become a valuable first team member, He has been sufficiently impressive to be MotM, or not far off. Being comfortable on the ball has been mentioned regularly, not least by commentators and his distribution is not as bad as you're making it out to be. I feel sufficiently confident that he will move for a good sum, within the next couple of seasons.

With the rebuilding job necessary, including 2 GKs, and numbers in defence and MF it's hardly surprising that we've not had the clout to bring in some of those strikers touted around on here - most of whom have scored f=ewer goals than Ben Garrity (- another DF / recruitment team find!). I am one of those fans who didn't want us to splurge money on a striker, preferring to boost MF with plenty of variation so no team knows who will be involved against them, until late on? Our biggest problem has been individual mistakes during games, leading to goals conceded. Of we're not scoring many goals then we, at least, need to not concede them. 

9 minutes ago, LancyTony said:

We will have to agree to disagree. Debrah has come from nowhere to become a valuable first team member, He has been sufficiently impressive to be MotM, or not far off. Being comfortable on the ball has been mentioned regularly, not least by commentators and his distribution is not as bad as you're making it out to be. I feel sufficiently confident that he will move for a good sum, within the next couple of seasons.

With the rebuilding job necessary, including 2 GKs, and numbers in defence and MF it's hardly surprising that we've not had the clout to bring in some of those strikers touted around on here - most of whom have scored f=ewer goals than Ben Garrity (- another DF / recruitment team find!). I am one of those fans who didn't want us to splurge money on a striker, preferring to boost MF with plenty of variation so no team knows who will be involved against them, until late on? Our biggest problem has been individual mistakes during games, leading to goals conceded. Of we're not scoring many goals then we, at least, need to not concede them. 

It’s definitely worked that. Two years in a row and we don’t have a half decent forward. Play it any want the recruitment has been <ovf censored> and the striker situation is a complete and utter shambles. We have over signed in the middle, too many Centre mids, 3 loan players who we may not be paying any wages for and the 2nd keeper will no doubt be on the cheap. Can’t just keep prioritising one area of the team and letting other areas go to <ovf censored>. We are incredibly weak at wing back and up front I don’t see how this is in any way a success. 

Deborah hasn’t come from nowhere either. Was on trial with a lot of sides including Barnsley but failed a medical. Seems a decent signing though. 

Archived