onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Exeter C (A) Match thread 9th Dec

Fosse69

Advert

3 hours ago, Lornelounger said:

Fine, well done on seeing that at the time. I thought we were playing better football than last season at that time, with much better midfield passing. Our defence remains vulnerable, and we need to convert more of our chances.

I guess in the end in is all about expectations.  I expect us to stay up.  I doubt it will be pretty, but I think there is enough quality there in the squad, and the team are still playing for Crosby, which helps. You expect us to go down, and you may well see that happen if we can't score more goals, because defensively we are porous.  We'll see.  Had the penalty we might have scored against Stevenage won us the game, we would be in 14th this morning - refs getting it wrong does matter, apologies after the game don't, points on the board do.

There seem to be several reasons for fans wanting Crosby out. 

Here lies the issue, we do not create chances. Not sure why people think we do and yet another striker in January will not solve that.

Their is a reason why we have hardly scored this season, why we are one of the lowest scorers & chances created in the league, it's because we are so laboured with our play we create bugger all.

We never put the opposition  keeper or defence under any pressure at all.

Many people have said on here we could have Kane or Haaland playing for us and they would not score because we create bugger all.

The 2nd season in a higher league is traditionally the hardest season & it's important to stay in this league especially financially which make's it even more of a stranger decision to employ a novice to become manager after such a poor spell being a caretaker manager.

I do not want us to go down but the danger signs have been their all season & are not going away

2 hours ago, Lornelounger said:

2 - we play poor football.  Opinions vary - Stoke got rid of Pulis because they wanted better football, so it depends on how pragmatic we wish to be. After every game, opinions differ on here about how well/badly we played - see the Shrewsbury game comments above. It's highly entertaining reading these varying opinions, and they are all right - to different people. Some are backed up by statistics.

And they got alot better football under Mark Hughes.

He brought in players like Bojan, Arnautovic & Shaqiri.

Under Hughes in his first season, not only did Stoke finish 9th, their highest finish since 74/75 but they finished 9th for 3 season's in a row under him

3 hours ago, Granville said:

Is it wrong to just be happy that we won a game? 

We're not as good as we think we are, we're not as bad as we've been playing the last few months. 

I have some sympathy for Crosby, who is trying to change us into a different team than we have been, but I think some of his signings have been pushed on to him eg: Loft was a Flitcroft desire long before he was manager. 

Fair play to the fans who went yesterday, a long trip in horrible conditions with the possibility of another defeat - I'm glad they had something to cheer about.

No it's about time we won a game in league we have been deserving of many more points than what we have .

Yesterday was about our bad karma becoming good 

I'd take that ..

Follow it up with win on Tues and hopefully confidence restored for latics and the biggest game for many a year Middlesborough a game where my voice will be booming as I want a win nothing less mind you v Stevenage I'll buy my ticket before tues as goes up on that day and it will be booming from hamil as I want to go Maidstone in New year .

I'm going make a bold prediction 

Loft will come good 👍 

UTV 

37 minutes ago, Brian Johnson said:

Did you watch yesterday's game?

No, just applying logic. Probably best to say l have a different understanding of the word "dire".

Never mind, it must be hugely encouraging to Rhys Walters and Baylee Dipepa to be called "dire". 

4 hours ago, Brian Johnson said:

Vale supporters that were at the game, were coming on here after saying that they thought it was a boring game lacking any real quality and once we went behind, the Vale supporters at the game lost all interest in the game.

They said that Shrewsbury executed the perfect game plan because they knew exactly how we play and what we would bring to the game.

How many said that?  One or two at most, possibly including yourself in that number for all I know or care.  For what it’s worth I was at the Shrewsbury game and the game yesterday and I know what I saw, we were vastly better against Shrewsbury but lost.

7 minutes ago, Brian Johnson said:

Under Hughes in his first season, not only did Stoke finish 9th, their highest finish since 74/75 but they finished 9th for 3 season's in a row under him

Under Hughes they initially added some flair to a solid, hard to beat side. The problem was they lost the grit and identity over the subsequent seasons. The lesson of Stoke's demise is if you lose a successful culture and way of playing developed over a number of season; it's nigh on impossible to get it back. 

21 minutes ago, Brian Johnson said:

You obviously take a keen interest.

34 minutes ago, Brian Johnson said:

Here lies the issue, we do not create chances. Not sure why people think we do and yet another striker in January will not solve that.

Their is a reason why we have hardly scored this season, why we are one of the lowest scorers & chances created in the league, it's because we are so laboured with our play we create bugger all.

We never put the opposition  keeper or defence under any pressure at all.

Many people have said on here we could have Kane or Haaland playing for us and they would not score because we create bugger all.

Yesterday there were 7 or 8 very good balls into the box which a good striker would have been attacking. A good striker would be attacking balls coming in from wide positions close to the edge of the 6 yard box. At least one of the 2 10s also needs to be gambling in those positions, too often they are hanging back close to the D of the penalty area. 

21 minutes ago, JRC said:

Under Hughes they initially added some flair to a solid, hard to beat side. The problem was they lost the grit and identity over the subsequent seasons. The lesson of Stoke's demise is if you lose a successful culture and way of playing developed over a number of season; it's nigh on impossible to get it back. 

But their choice to sack Pulis and bring in Hughes brought them want they wanted for 3 consecutive seasons. 

28 minutes ago, smithie said:

No, just applying logic. Probably best to say l have a different understanding of the word "dire".

Never mind, it must be hugely encouraging to Rhys Walters and Baylee Dipepa to be called "dire". 

No logic, it just makes your points in regards to yesterday game even more irrelevant

Just taken a look at the match thread on the Exeter fans forum.

It's like reading OVF for our last dozen or so games ...

Passing it from back across the back line then back to keeper.

Absolutely no-one looking likely to score.

Boring as Fk.

Attendance figures next season when there isn't the current ST holders to add to it.

Etc etc etc

Except they are adamant we were worse than them. One swallow .... hope I am wrong and this really was a turning point.

3 hours ago, Devine intervention said:

A question for you Jacko .

What did AC do to stop Sweeney being effective during that second half .

He did nothing  

We take the win yesterday but I hugely dissatisfied with how slow he was to react to the game and what was occurring. 

On another day his lack of football knowledge as a manager will cost us .

Yesterday was not good I haven't said that often but I can see why we lose games regularly .

Do you need play 3 at the back if opposition have 1 forwards .

No you don't he left us wide open to lose players marking no one and Exeter fluidity passing ball around us easily .

In future he got away with one yesterday and I'm delighted we won but if I watched the game back again today I'd still be annoyed that he Crosby lost the tactical battle with Caudwell and instead of Vale putting 3/4 past them we were hanging on till the lively Bipeda came on he gave us legs and energy for last bit .

Uche was fantastic I thought .

Who’s  Bipeda?  You talk of Crosby’s lack of football knowledge but I bet he knows what our players are called!!!

Archived