onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Doncaster Rovers (friendly) match thread

werstayinup

25 minutes ago, TJHValiant said:

I agree. This isn’t just about money but squad planning. You do budget accordingly and Flitcroft has come up with….zero strikers. That’s simply rubbish. Missed his targets? Otherwise known as not doing your job anywhere else. 

The budget appears to clearly be poor in comparison to most other clubs and seems to have barely increased since the league 2 era despite a vast increase in revenue. 

So you know what the budget is then ?

Advert

10 minutes ago, TJHValiant said:

I think the one senior guy is a must with a gamble on a young lad at this stage. Typically if you have success with a young player there is usually at least 1 experienced head there leading by example. That’s where the money needs to go.

If Flitcroft genuinely has talent, he will be able to identify good young guys who can come in on the cheap, who will always be gambles but a good DOF should weed out the no hopers. 

Agree. I would go with A and 2 young loans but I think it’s a challenging market from outside reports to keep that within the current wage structure and committing to 2 year deals. 

1 hour ago, philmpv said:

Worst thing that the recruitment and management teams can do is panic and just bring in anybody who calls themselves a striker. It's clear we've missed out on targets, but it's also clear that we haven't panicked, hence the continued delay. They will come. If we still bring in crap, then have a pop, but for now would you honestly rather we just bring in anybody?

Anybody has to be better than playing Massey up top.

51 minutes ago, TJHValiant said:

I agree. This isn’t just about money but squad planning. You do budget accordingly and Flitcroft has come up with….zero strikers. That’s simply rubbish. Missed his targets? Otherwise known as not doing your job anywhere else. 

The budget appears to clearly be poor in comparison to most other clubs and seems to have barely increased since the league 2 era despite a vast increase in revenue. 

Maybe we should appoint that guy at that team that didn't miss any of their targets this season. 

I'm not that bothered about the result. We've had great results in pre-season in the past but still gone on to have a <ovf censored> season when it really mattered. But the lack of goals against poor sides is a big concern, as is the lack of genuine chances created. But is it surprising? A midfield three of Ojo, Sang and Garrity will offer you plenty of effort and legs but not a lot else. None of them are the creative type in the slightest. It leaves massive pressure on the likes of Grant and Clark to create from wing-back. Surely Chislett will start even if it either means dropping Garrity from the side or letting him battle it out with Sang for a place further back alongside Ojo.

21 minutes ago, corbanlovesvale said:

So you know what the budget is then ?

No, but clearly it isn’t sufficient for the purpose of a competitive league 1 football team if so far it has managed to secure the services of not 1 decent striker. 

In fairness it comes down to 1 of two things. A poorly spent budget or an insufficient one. 

You know, I don’t blame the owners purely for that. No doubt the Covid era and Smurfwaite’s pay off are still relevant even this year. 

41 minutes ago, Vale Ball said:

Think we need to be prepared for been a hard to beat uncompromising side who don't let many in but don't score many either.

Sent from my SM-A217F using onevalefan mobile app

We were not actually that easy to beat last season. Most matches aside from 6 or so drubbings like Oxford, Peterborough etc were competitive score line wise. 

Very decent first half with some nice football but didn’t work their keeper enough. Donny improved second half but the goal was all Wilson’s own work - stupid square pass in the middle of the park straight to one of their players from which they broke and scored. If you want a contract, James, that won’t have helped your cause. 

It's pointless posting anything on here because it's so blatantly obvious to everyone what we're lacking in our squad! 

On a side note, I'm livid that Woz is on a two year contract at Barrow and we're stuck with Gavin ******* Massey! 

He is worse than many of those awful loan players I was reading about earlier on a different thread. His minutes to impact on games ratio has got to be the worst of any player to pull on the shirt! 

4 minutes ago, valiant steve said:

It's pointless posting anything on here because it's so blatantly obvious to everyone what we're lacking in our squad! 

On a side note, I'm livid that Woz is on a two year contract at Barrow and we're stuck with Gavin ******* Massey! 

He is worse than many of those awful loan players I was reading about earlier on a different thread. His minutes to impact on games ratio has got to be the worst of any player to pull on the shirt! 

I raise you Martin Paterson. 

Archived