onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Football forum

Walka003

1 hour ago, dishydave said:
5 hours ago, TJHValiant said:
Honestly no hatred. I just don’t think he has been truly effective and the most obvious issue with last season for me was the quality of recruitment that he has a degree of responsibility for. The quality of football, which as a director of said football, he is responsible for, was awful post Jan. If he was directing a film, it would get 1 star from me. 

What was he suppose to buy with no money he can only spend what he's allowed to.

Perhaps he spent too much on loan players that hardly ever played and that was one of the reasons there was no money.  He told the fans forum earlier in the season that the club had put an extra million quid into the budget - do you think we have got value for money for that??

Advert

No it isn’t. A director of football directs the football. The manager manages it. The players he supplies and identifies are a fundamental factor of the quality of football. Poor quality players generally means poor quality football. 
The DF that brought promotion and a second season in L1. Results are the measurement of the manager. The DF provides the players within the budget and development plan augmented by transfers. The scale of injuries is an unknown factor.

1 hour ago, Jacko51 said:

Perhaps he spent too much on loan players that hardly ever played and that was one of the reasons there was no money.  He told the fans forum earlier in the season that the club had put an extra million quid into the budget - do you think we have got value for money for that??

Can you please tell us what we would have gotten without the extra million invested so that we can have a fair comparison?

Oh wait... You can't, yet you can judge value of money based on A) Not knowing how much money there is and B) not knowing how much money players cost

3 hours ago, TJHValiant said:

No evidence of that at all. I do think the initial investment has slowed to a crawl and we need a wider source of income from other investors. 

Problem with us fans, we always want more. £10m (£5m outside of purchase price) in 4 years is not enough for some. Is £20m enough? Is £50m enough? 

What would your level of ‘acceptable’ investment be? 

18 hours ago, TJHValiant said:

No evidence of that at all. I do think the initial investment has slowed to a crawl and we need a wider source of income from other investors. 

Maybe we’re just spending more money on infrastructure projects than in previous seasons?

Fairly major work like the Robbie Suite and improving the pitch, plus things like installing a new scoreboard as part of the Hamil switch, is money ordinarily we could’ve spent on the team.  Then there are other projects on the horizon, such as further work on the pitch next summer, moving the gym into a new location to allow Lorne St concourse to be completed, further developing the training ground facilities, to name a few.  There comes a time where you have to cut your cloth, but once these project are completed we should be a bit more flush.

1 hour ago, NorthwoodValiant said:

Can you please tell us what we would have gotten without the extra million invested so that we can have a fair comparison?

Oh wait... You can't, yet you can judge value of money based on A) Not knowing how much money there is and B) not knowing how much money players cost

We would have got a new pitch apparently. 

Looking round Vale Park and thinking about players contracts I can imagine where a lot of the increased revenue has gone. 
Figures from the EFL show that the Vale were paying £61,150.00 a week last season in wages, doesn't take a genius to work it out.

If true that’s a £3.1 million wage budget which is likely higher than we’ve had before…

Mike Baggaley said the Shanahans have put £10M into the Vale including purchase price and infrastructure improvements !

Plus created a brand new image in people's minds of what Port Vale stand for as a community driven club

I really don't understand some people TBH.

11 hours ago, Boslem's Brazil said:

That must be highest ever wage budget we’ve had in our existence…….not enough for some though 

Exactly, I assume that figure is the post January weekly expenditure which suggests it was potentially higher than that in the first half of the season (maybe where Mike's 14th ranking came from over the season).

19 hours ago, blackdog said:

Figures from the EFL show that the Vale were paying £61,150.00 a week last season in wages, doesn't take a genius to work it out.

Is that playing squad or wage budget of all staff employed by the football club?

15 hours ago, andy jones said:

Grumpy

Don't just jump to conclusions mate.

I dont think the event could have been staged at the Vale as it required a cinematic projection and inclined seating. Plus hold just shy of 300 

Which room at the Vale meets that criteria.

Have you seen that Carol has announced a salaried position of Fans co-ordinator?

I see by the following which Tim Barber's posted and also some comments from David Thorley, The Supporters Club do not seem to be too happy with the club currently

"I'm posting this because I think it's relevant and based on some of the comments being made by certain posters who clearly cant see the wood for the trees. No doubt I'll get the usual suspects calling me names but heyho such is life.
I KNOW the supporters club had a meeting with the club a few weeks back about having a SC meeting at the club on a similar format to the announced event. It was felt it was important so the fans could ask DF what his plans were for different things and would be good to get his side of the story as he was/is getting flack from some supporters. It was felt that this was needed by the SC as one of it's roles is to achieve good communication between fans and the club.
The club agreed to this with the event being SC led with questions from the floor, so you could ask whatever you wanted within reason. Cue the club then not getting back to the SC but instead arranging their own event with only pre submitted questions which will be vetted. So you'll basically only have questions they want to answer and get pre approved answers.
This is not how an open and transparent club works and is the route previous regimes took and look how it turned out for them. It's another example of the club paying lip service to the fans and alienating the Supporters club, an organisation that does a lot of good work for the club but it seems the Club don't like them.
Its not the first time the club have arranged things behind the SC's back, after previously discussing it with them, and not the first event they've held which potentially clashes, or is near to, a SC night.
Couple the announced evening with Carol's video a few weeks back, where she wrote and answered her own questions, and I question why everything is being done in this way, what are they scared of being asked and how is it an example of an open and honest club?
To the Board; Carol openly admitted to us at the open evening shortly after buying the club, that without the SC and B&G's input they would never have got the club. But now it seems you don't want to engage with the SC and the fans in an open and transparent way, one of the things you promised. Please note that such attitudes were the downfall of previous regimes and should be something you should be mindful of. Please don't let all your fantastic work go down the pan by alienating your main asset, the fanbase, as we are the "good biscuits" Carol.
Quite frankly at the moment it all stinks"

Archived