onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

This has to stop!!!

LancyTony

I can't imagine how it must feel, seeing a friend...or family member...set off for the match and never come back? There are many different versions of this tragedy, but all with similar endings. Banter between fans is acceptable, until it becomes genuinely threatening!  Probably there are many Vale fans who have experienced their vehicles being bricked at away games? This isn't far removed from a stabbing, because there's no thought as to the consequence of the action! Think how you would like it...how it would affect your family...if this were to happen to you or one of your loved ones?  The only people who can prevent this are football fans! I'm not going to suggest I have an answer to this - but I AM going to suggest that we all show a bit more tolerance, to fellow fans and towards rivals. Let's take the hostility out of our reactions to people who choose to follow a different club, and make football a better...safer...experience?

Advert

3 minutes ago, LancyTony said:

I can't imagine how it must feel, seeing a friend...or family member...set off for the match and never come back? There are many different versions of this tragedy, but all with similar endings. Banter between fans is acceptable, until it becomes genuinely threatening!  Probably there are many Vale fans who have experienced their vehicles being bricked at away games? This isn't far removed from a stabbing, because there's no thought as to the consequence of the action! Think how you would like it...how it would affect your family...if this were to happen to you or one of your loved ones?  The only people who can prevent this are football fans! I'm not going to suggest I have an answer to this - but I AM going to suggest that we all show a bit more tolerance, to fellow fans and towards rivals. Let's take the hostility out of our reactions to people who choose to follow a different club, and make football a better...safer...experience?

No right minded individual will disagree with any of this.  That said the sad fact of life is that tolerance goes out of the window when some folk have had a few beers.

As we all know, the problem with some fixtures is they’re more favourable for a day out and a drinking session, and such fixtures often attract “fans” who wouldn’t ordinarily attend.  In places like Blackpool numbers of fans will stay in the pubs with little intention of attending the match.  Whether this was the case in this instance I’ve no idea, but these factors then obviously contribute to increased potential for violence, and sadly, terrible incidents such as this one.

12 minutes ago, Guitar Ray said:

No right minded individual will disagree with any of this.  That said the sad fact of life is that tolerance goes out of the window when some folk have had a few beers.

As we all know, the problem with some fixtures is they’re more favourable for a day out and a drinking session, and such fixtures often attract “fans” who wouldn’t ordinarily attend.  In places like Blackpool numbers of fans will stay in the pubs with little intention of attending the match.  Whether this was the case in this instance I’ve no idea, but these factors then obviously contribute to increased potential for violence, and sadly, terrible incidents such as this one.

13 minutes ago, Guitar Ray said:

Yes - you're right about alcohol's influence, Ray...and I'd hate to be the one suggesting banning alcohol. But - how many times have we heard someone say "I wish they'd treat us like adults, and allow us to make our own decisions on how much we drink"? or something similar? And this is, clearly, a problem not limited to football alone. I just hope people start making sensible decisions so these tragedies don't keep happening?

When I first started going to football there was no segregation of fans.  Everyone shared the space.  There is a sense in which segregation enhances the animosity between fans - the screaming at the opposition fans at Derby from where I was sitting was incredible.  No one was watching the game, just baiting the home fans.

Segregation was a result of the lunatic behaviour we had from supporters in the 70s.  There are all sorts of reasons which a social historian will tell you why this happened!  Nowadays we don't just have alcohol as a problem but drugs as well.

The best way to stop the problems though is just to let lasses in and tell the lads to stay at home and do the ironing - I've never seen women fighting at a football match!!

Go to cricket regularly, never any trouble there with fans of opposing sides sat next to each other (same with rugby) Can drink in whilst in the seat as well. Clearly it’s a small minority of the ‘fans’ who attend football games. The thugs who love to turn up for trouble, they all come out for the ‘big games’. Massive issue in this country as we saw in the Euros. 

12 hours ago, Jacko51 said:

When I first started going to football there was no segregation of fans.  Everyone shared the space.  There is a sense in which segregation enhances the animosity between fans - the screaming at the opposition fans at Derby from where I was sitting was incredible.  No one was watching the game, just baiting the home fans.

Segregation was a result of the lunatic behaviour we had from supporters in the 70s.  There are all sorts of reasons which a social historian will tell you why this happened!  Nowadays we don't just have alcohol as a problem but drugs as well.

The best way to stop the problems though is just to let lasses in and tell the lads to stay at home and do the ironing - I've never seen women fighting at a football match!!

AFL here, we sit together, walk down the street together. Seen some women Essendon fans calling Port Adelaide fans Tsossers and wnkaers (not classed as swearing here) the reply was "you haven't been to China to watch your team". So no offence taken.

Earlier this season a Bolton fan was running at me, I am too slow these to run so was ready bang him if it came to and unfortunately this is how it starts. Fortunately I walked quick enough to the copper line that stopped him. Also been hassled at Bury by fans who wanted revenge for a Vale fan attacking a Bury fan earlier....despite the fact that I just left the Bury supporters club and spoke to many of their fans after the game all in good banter. Even alcohol isn't the problem, its a people problem. These folk are very very sad. Including the stupid Vale girl at Sunderland in a Vale too at the weekend posting 'We hate Stoke'. How to poke a beehive through stupidity in one lesson. 

12 hours ago, Rory said:

I have.

Time to get tough on alcohol and other drugs. Big prison sentences for being in possession of any of it, it's the 21st century now for goodness sake.

Big prison sentences for being in possession of alcohol? Not sure about that but for carrying a knife there should be punishment. 

14 hours ago, Playa Amodores said:

A start would be for the club to remove the flag on display at home games with VLF written on it.

I do laugh in surprise that it's still there every time I go to the ground. I can only conclude the club have no idea what it means.

8 hours ago, valiant_593 said:

Go to cricket regularly, never any trouble there with fans of opposing sides sat next to each other (same with rugby) Can drink in whilst in the seat as well. Clearly it’s a small minority of the ‘fans’ who attend football games. The thugs who love to turn up for trouble, they all come out for the ‘big games’. Massive issue in this country as we saw in the Euros. 

You did not attend the Newcastle and hartshill v Hanford cricket match when the players ended up fighting.

Archived