Transfer rumours, targets & new signings

Doha

I am not daft or a lad i suggest you get your eyes tested before you go the next match.
I'd suggest you take the time to look over the past 40 years of Vale centre backs. We've had a hell of a lot worse than Martin. We had bloody Crookes only last year
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, hamilboy said:

I am not daft or a lad i suggest you get your eyes tested before you go the next match.

Not saying he's good, just saying we've had some pure tripe in the last 5 years alone significantly worse than Martin.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, hamilboy said:

Without doubt he comes second to Bob Delgado has the worst centre back i have seen playing for the vale.

You must have a short memory. Martin has been promoted out of this league he clearly is good enough. For what ever reason, probably fitness he hasn’t played too well yet. Can’t believe you think he’s worse than some of the clowns we’ve had in the side recently 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, hamilboy said:

Not panicking every time the ball gets slung in its panic stations at the back Martin is a 6ft 5 experienced centre back who should dominate in the air.He plays like he has never played their in his life before.Without doubt he comes second to Bob Delgado has the worst centre back i have seen playing for the vale.The first objective is to challenge for every ball that comes in the box not just let someone stroll in and have a free header inside our six yard box. Hazell, Aspen, Sproson 2, Cheadle, Hayward, Nicholson, they were just a few who i have seen playing for the vale that would never let it happen basic defending is what its about i was told never make it easy for any opponent at the moment it is to easy can be fixed but i'm afraid not by Martin.

I take it you never saw Chris Slater, Joe Davis,Calvin Macintosh, Jermaine Holwyn or Richard Walker play for us then.

• Like 1

Those who saw FGR away can appreciate Martin isn't awful at all. He was magnificent that day as was the whole team.

Was he great at Oldham, no he certainly wasn't but there's a massive over reaction and scapegoating of the bloke. As mentioned by my good self and others we have not won a single game yet when Legge has taken part . I'm not castigating Legge for that it's just an unusual occurrence . But get off Martin's back. 

I anticipate he'll make way tomorrow for Smith but will definitely be playing his part during the rest of the season. 

Despite the calamitous collapse I applauded them off Saturday, as expected a few boos as there were against Bradford. Standard fair sadly . 

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, valiant_593 said:

And you think Martin is the 2nd worse. I’ll have whatever you’ve been on 

you could not take the medication i'm on after watching the vale for that long but i leave you with a prediction if Martin is in the middle of the back 3 for a majority of matches left we will not get out of this league just hope Smith does not pick up a bad injury.

5 hours ago, philmpv said:
5 hours ago, Playa Amodores said:
Joe, I agree with what you say about JG but if we’re going to play James in a more attacking role, should we be looking at getting a new right back.?

What's the point when we don't play with a right back?

Phil, it would give us an option should we need to play four across the back. We do have players that can play in that position but for me they’re Jack of all trades. Perhaps we should concentrate on being more defensive even if it only brings ugly victories. Hopefully it would prevent the opposition from crossing the ball into our area which at the moment is a concern and it undermines all the teams good work and hard work.No one at Boundary Park on Saturday that Oldham won.

Got hammered last week for suggesting our defensive recruitment wasn't good enough. Particularly for daring to question the performances of Martin. We've now thrown away 6 points combined from the Sutton and Oldham defensive collapses that come as a direct result of signing two (Martin and Johnson) 'commanding' centre backs who are not good enough. In other words, the difference between us being top instead of where we are (still a fabulous and well earned position at this stage).

This will be my last post on the subject. A priority signing for me in January would be a commanding centre half to cover for any absence of Smith and/or Legge. What's Darren Purse upto? I really hope that in the meantime Martin puts in a few decent performances that make him adequate for that role. I also really hope that teams haven't noticed our weakness.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, jjvale_03 said:

Got hammered last week for suggesting our defensive recruitment wasn't good enough. Particularly for daring to question the performances of Martin. We've now thrown away 6 points combined from the Sutton and Oldham defensive collapses that come as a direct result of signing two (Martin and Johnson) 'commanding' centre backs who are not good enough. In other words, the difference between us being top instead of where we are (still a fabulous and well earned position at this stage).

This will be my last post on the subject. A priority signing for me in January would be a commanding centre half to cover for any absence of Smith and/or Legge. What's Darren Purse upto? I really hope that in the meantime Martin puts in a few decent performances that make him adequate for that role. I also really hope that teams haven't noticed our weakness.

You’ve forgotten Rochdale 

• Like 1

Not sure why folk are down on Martin individually.  We possibly have a bit too much “culture” in a back 3 of Cass, Martin and Jones, so Smith is a good contrast to that.  We’ve bought Legge on to add his height and power in the air but it didn’t work.

Maybe we were a bit unlucky with third goal having watched it back a few times but panic has set in.  Martin was certainly unlucky with the o.g. as he’s just reacting and once any player is defending that situation when facing their own goal it’s all too easy to find the net rather than safety.

The first and second goals are preventable.  The first, our players switch off, the second, possibly our player flicks the ball on then we manage to completely misjudge what is effectively a free header to clear the ball.

17 minutes ago, jjvale_03 said:

To suggest we’re third in the league after this many games on the back of being defensively poor is utter tripe.  Think about it, it defies logic.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

52 minutes ago, darren1810 said:

Those who saw FGR away can appreciate Martin isn't awful at all. He was magnificent that day as was the whole team.

Was he great at Oldham, no he certainly wasn't but there's a massive over reaction and scapegoating of the bloke. As mentioned by my good self and others we have not won a single game yet when Legge has taken part . I'm not castigating Legge for that it's just an unusual occurrence . But get off Martin's back. 

I anticipate he'll make way tomorrow for Smith but will definitely be playing his part during the rest of the season. 

Despite the calamitous collapse I applauded them off Saturday, as expected a few boos as there were against Bradford. Standard fair sadly . 

I agree, even our most highly regarded and consistent defenders are dog at defending crosses, which is annoying. Would I swap any for any other defenders available? No. Are Martin and all the others top quality for this division? Yes.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Guitar Ray said:

To suggest we’re third in the league after this many games on the back of being defensively poor is utter tripe.  Think about it, it defies logic.

Let's be honest, in the league this season we have conceded 19 goals. 10 of those came in 3 games (Rochdale, Sutton and Oldham) Taking out the lapses, we have conceded 11 in 14...