Jump to content

League 2 Relegation fight


Recommended Posts

Yes some teams have bounced back but clubs on a similar to us, some maybe bigger have not.  Wrexham have not, Stockport went even lower down before coming back up a league, Notts County and Chesterfield been there 2 or 3 years and don't look like coming back.  I remember Luton taking 3 or 4 years to get back, Lincoln were down there 5 or 6 years, these are bigger clubs than the Vale, they were averaging 5 or 6 thousand in non league, don't think we would be capable of doing that.  We have to stay up, dropping down is just unthinkable.  If we did go down, it would be a massive ask to get back up early, lots of ex league clubs there and with only 1 automatic spot, it is so hard to go straight back up.
You are right though Clarke does need time, he was left an awful unfit squad and for me 90% of it needs going.  I still think if we can somewhow stay up, I think we can have a successful season next year, teams have had massive changes in close season and then been successful in recent years.  I remember last year Ainsworth saying he had 8/9 players on the first day of pre-season and then going up.  Barnsley somehow stayed up in the last minute of last year and now in the play-offs, Cambridge in the automatics after a poor season and Morecambe who finished 22nd last year in the play-offs, it can be done.
Bigger clubs than vale you lost me when you got to that comment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Advert:


  • Replies 647
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We could have 90 shots on goal and they could be down to 8 men and Alan Buckley would trip over his laces and head the ball into the goal from 30 yards and we’d lose 1-0 .......may have something to d

I did mate, I also described Bolton as horrific.  What I'm saying is since we beat Southend we have 2 points and they have 7 albeit from one more game. You only have to look at Fulham. Newca

Grimsby still have to play Tranmere, Salford, Cheltenham, Bradford, Bolton, Exeter and Cambridge AND still have to make 10 points up on us Barrow still have to play Cheltenham, Newport, Exeter tw

Posted Images

23 minutes ago, Gallifreyan Valiant said:
4 hours ago, valefan79 said:
Yes some teams have bounced back but clubs on a similar to us, some maybe bigger have not.  Wrexham have not, Stockport went even lower down before coming back up a league, Notts County and Chesterfield been there 2 or 3 years and don't look like coming back.  I remember Luton taking 3 or 4 years to get back, Lincoln were down there 5 or 6 years, these are bigger clubs than the Vale, they were averaging 5 or 6 thousand in non league, don't think we would be capable of doing that.  We have to stay up, dropping down is just unthinkable.  If we did go down, it would be a massive ask to get back up early, lots of ex league clubs there and with only 1 automatic spot, it is so hard to go straight back up.
You are right though Clarke does need time, he was left an awful unfit squad and for me 90% of it needs going.  I still think if we can somewhow stay up, I think we can have a successful season next year, teams have had massive changes in close season and then been successful in recent years.  I remember last year Ainsworth saying he had 8/9 players on the first day of pre-season and then going up.  Barnsley somehow stayed up in the last minute of last year and now in the play-offs, Cambridge in the automatics after a poor season and Morecambe who finished 22nd last year in the play-offs, it can be done.

Bigger clubs than vale you lost me when you got to that comment.

You think we are bigger than some of those teams that have struggled then.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Jacko51 said:

What we think on here and what actually happens are two totally different things.  Everyone thought we would get hammered when we went to Bolton but look what happened.  What I find annoying is when folk on here predict we will lose - like they did against Bolton yesterday - yet go barmy when it happens and can't understand why we did exactly what they expected us to do.

I think we'll beat Newport.  They struggled to beat us down there even when we went down to 10 men.  They won at Morecambe yesterday but only after the home team had gone down to 10 men after half an hour.  We are due a flukey goal and an away sending off.  You heard it here first!

😴

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Advert:


1 minute ago, Gallifreyan Valiant said:
22 minutes ago, valefan79 said:
You think we are bigger than some of those teams that have struggled then.

Wrexham, Stockport, Chesterfield Lincoln. Indefinitely we are bigger.

We have a bigger away support than all of those, no doubt about that but at home I don't think so.  I certainly think if we were mid-table in the National League we would struggle get 4000, these teams were getting that and more.  Back in 2017/2018 when Chesterfield went down, having been bottom all year, they averaged 5500 near,ly we averaged just over 4500.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hate 'bigger' discussions. Criteria often used are 'size of grounds' and 'history', even if the ground is 80% empty or the club hasn't achieved anything since the mid 1950s. 

We've been in the bottom 6 of professional football for three out of four years. We're, as it stands, as small as it gets in the EFL. 

The FA Cup run of 1954 or the fact you can socially distance at Vale Park with every ST holder in attendance won't change anything if we go down.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Jacko51 said:

What we think on here and what actually happens are two totally different things.  Everyone thought we would get hammered when we went to Bolton but look what happened.  What I find annoying is when folk on here predict we will lose - like they did against Bolton yesterday - yet go barmy when it happens and can't understand why we did exactly what they expected us to do.

I think we'll beat Newport.  They struggled to beat us down there even when we went down to 10 men.  They won at Morecambe yesterday but only after the home team had gone down to 10 men after half an hour.  We are due a flukey goal and an away sending off.  You heard it here first!

Has any opposition player been sent off against vale this season? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Gallifreyan Valiant said:
1 hour ago, valefan79 said:
You think we are bigger than some of those teams that have struggled then.

Wrexham, Stockport, Chesterfield Lincoln. Indefinitely we are bigger.

I don't think we are bigger than those clubs or Notts County.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Advert:


3 hours ago, Jacko51 said:

I'll say again, no one on here thought we would. 

 

3 hours ago, Jacko51 said:

What we think on here and what actually happens are two totally different things.  Everyone thought we would get hammered when we went to Bolton but look what happened.  What I find annoying is when folk on here predict we will lose - like they did against Bolton yesterday - yet go barmy when it happens and can't understand why we did exactly what they expected us to do.

I think we'll beat Newport.  They struggled to beat us down there even when we went down to 10 men.  They won at Morecambe yesterday but only after the home team had gone down to 10 men after half an hour.  We are due a flukey goal and an away sending off.  You heard it here first!

Come on the Vale . 3 points please . Keeping Going . 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Newport are no Bolton.

At this rate I think Bolton are nailed on for top 3 and could quite easily win the league.

Newport are hit and miss, lost some key players that caused them to drop heavily and they’re not the team they were at the start.

No game is easy for a team that can’t score goals, but we should be getting at them like we did against Oldham.

we will win on Tuesday.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Vale will go down if we continue to get the same type of results obtained since Clarke became manager. For Vale to stay up something(s) has/have to change, whether it be Clarke finds the right tactics/formation which suits the players he has available to improve results, some of the injured players return and results improve or Vale start to get the run of the ball, etc etc

I still believe Vale have enough quality in the squad to keep us in Lge 2 but we have a tinkerman as manager and it's whether he can solve the puzzle and find the right blend of players/tactics. He's been in this position before with Bristol Rovers so he should have a decent idea of what to do and what not to do.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Walsall fan here in peace.  I genuinely fear for both of us this season and that is down one man - DC.  He's left us with the poorest Walsall team I can remember and spent most weeks picking names and formations out of a hat.  We now have his long time assistant who's spent years learning all the poor managemnent decisions from him and now we don't look like scoring.  Ever.  By the sounds of it, you are in a similar position - poor players with a manager who blames everyone else for everything - players, fans, tea lady.  He is not a manager who can get the best out of or improve bang average or worse League 2 players.  His last 14 matches in charge of Walsall / Vale - 0 wins.  And not many goals.  Honestly, we weren't at all sorry and bitter when we were trying to tell you about him.  For both our sakes let's hope the teams below us are even worse than us.

He started with excuses at Vale almost immediately. Seems very good at saying what people want to hear, probably how he managed to get the job at Vale.
  • Like 3
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Advert:


22 hours ago, Jacko51 said:

No, he said it was their best win of the season. 

Best win of the season because .....

Terrible pitch, terrible weather, scrappy opposition that fights.

Wish we were more than that and dont rely on the pitch and weather to help us get a point.

We need to be a lot more than that to save us

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Rodge said:


He started with excuses at Vale almost immediately. Seems very good at saying what people want to hear, probably how he managed to get the job at Vale.

It is quite worrying to say the least

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Reporting Posts and Ignoring Users

    Moderators don't read everything. Don't assume we'll spot rule breaking (e.g. personal abuse) - use the orange report button above a post to alert them.

    If you can't get on with another forum user you can select the "ignore" option. Simply click on the link below, type in their username and save - Click here




×
×
  • Create New...