21 minutes ago, dishydave said:

I would imagine Flitcroft and Clarke have scouts they both use so hopefully we should have a good network being set up. No matter what league we are in I think he will do the business for us it just might take a few more years than originally planned if we do go down

I agree,none of us on here would ever want us to go non league thats obvious,if we had gone under Gorm then no way would we of come back but under Carol i am 1 million per cent sure she would give it a go to come straight(not that easy i know) but a while ago people were saying that this club needed rebuilding root to branch and that is exactly what she is doing. Survive this season and i do have a feeling we will do very well next season with a new squad and a couple of our current better players like Worrall and Conlon.

Just to add those players who will still be under contract wont be safe either

• Like 5

Advert:

• Replies 948
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Not read through all the posts but as it's titled "Darrell Clarke", I wanted to post my thoughts. When you come in as a new manager you have to focus on the immediate issues. If you think back to

Players deserve credit for tonight but special shout out to Darrell Clarke for me. He set us up with a game plan that saw us dominate the majority of the first half. We should've been 2 goals to

Heres an idea why dont we judge him on what he does at vale rather than going off the word of previous fans. There are fans that love him like bristol rovers and fans who arent keen of him walsall. Wh

Posted Images

20 hours ago, Mario said:

Until the end of the season, also all media interviews have been stopped for players

thank buddah!!!!!!!!🤐:drink:

Hey there.

Rovers fan here.

DC is an absolute legend for us.

He is very passionate and very likeable. 

It's fair to say he did lose his way a little towards the end of his time with Rovers and does seem to have lost his way a little.

His signings were very hit and miss.  You either got a real gem or a completely useless player.

Sometimes his tactics and team selection seem strange too.  With us he liked to mix the formation and squad a fair bit and would talk about each game being a project.  That said, we really had our most successful times when  he found his team and stuck with it.

He can be stubborn and too loyal to certain players to the point of disbelief.   (See Tom Nichols for details)

But for all his faults he is a proven winner in the lower leagues and has a lot to offer if you stick by him.

There was quite a flurry of excitement when we heard he was leaving Walsall and many Gasheads were hoping he was returning home to us.

Print that bastard. 

Good luck and if you see DC tell him we still love him. 

Hugo the Elder

Gaschat.co.uk

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

https://gaschat.co.uk/thread/17512/darrell-clarke-mod-correct-spelling?page=5

I went and asked Bristol Rovers fans what they thought of him. Quite a few posts and they seem pretty positive. To try and summarise them (bear in mind there was disagreement and one or two were quite negative): a slow starter but stick with him and he should do a great job, can be frustrating with his tinkering and habits, poor in the transfer market (here's hoping Flitcroft and co will make up for this deficiency).

One ominous post said he took Rovers down to the Conference when they looked safe but two successive promotions to League One more than made up for that. Hopefully he'll start to pick up a few wins before next season starts.

How many backroom staff have we actually got on the payroll now?

It seems a crazy amount to me.

• Like 1

Advert:

11 hours ago, Wrex said:

https://gaschat.co.uk/thread/17512/darrell-clarke-mod-correct-spelling?page=5

I went and asked Bristol Rovers fans what they thought of him. Quite a few posts and they seem pretty positive. To try and summarise them (bear in mind there was disagreement and one or two were quite negative): a slow starter but stick with him and he should do a great job, can be frustrating with his tinkering and habits, poor in the transfer market (here's hoping Flitcroft and co will make up for this deficiency).

One ominous post said he took Rovers down to the Conference when they looked safe but two successive promotions to League One more than made up for that. Hopefully he'll start to pick up a few wins before next season starts.

Recently our podcast team had some players from our back to back promotion team in and they spoke about what it was about DC that they like or clicked with etc.  You might find that part interesting.  Also they had a chat with Darrell, so included that too:

gascastpodcast.co.uk/listen/

open.spotify.com/episode/7qSWq4YakqcUvcqlD6Yc4h

Worth listening to. 

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, Doha said:

Worth listening to. 

Thanks Doha

58 mins the question is raised about DC

Edit: There may be many more, I just luckily landed on that question as I was clicking through to see if I could find something.

Edited by Iron Curtain

1 hour ago, Doha said:

Worth listening to. 

DC definitely did not take us down.

We were piss poor all season and he took over a struggling team with 8 games left.  In theory he could have kept us up but frankly Alex Ferguson would have struggled to have picked up more points than DC in those final games.

Conference football was not DCs fault.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

On 11/03/2021 at 13:01, HugotheElder said:

DC definitely did not take us down.

We were piss poor all season and he took over a struggling team with 8 games left.  In theory he could have kept us up but frankly Alex Ferguson would have struggled to have picked up more points than DC in those final games.

Conference football was not DCs fault.

Can you also post your views as a reply to Swifty, our resident "Walsall fan in peace".  He's very interested in DC.  You'll find him somewhere up this thread.  Thanks. 👍

• Like 2

I have also a very good friend who's a Walsall fan.He's been  very critical of DC for a while ,noting his "Nathan Jones"style of communication. The league table, coupled with results since his arrival,doesn't bode well for both clubs .

• Like 1

Advert:

I think the fact that Walsall had genuine playoff aspirations, and then lost Clarke and their top scorer (who he had signed) and now face relegation is indicative that he was doing a reasonable job there. 

• Like 6
  • Confused 1

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, Eddie Ford said:

You do realise that it was only 6 league wins he achieved before he came to Vale?

You do realise you're completely wrong? You've been parroting a completely false stat for ages now. Clarke joined us on February 15th. It isn't an outstanding record but fundamentally you are incorrect. 

839512825_Screenshot2021-03-13at10_08_52.thumb.png.64e4755c2d0e82d5f5a0114a569ba7a1.png

They're now 19th, still with 8 wins and now 16 points from the playoffs. 

Edited by Joe B
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)

I've said I haven't really warmed to Clarke (the bloke or the manager) so far, and I stand by that, but I still think he took on a big job with a team with 3 wins in 17 and several first-teamers struggling with injuries.

I think he could have done things a bit better (which he has accepted) but I'm also nowhere near forming any judgements.

Edited by Joe B

1 hour ago, Joe B said:

I think the fact that Walsall had genuine playoff aspirations, and then lost Clarke and their top scorer (who he had signed) and now face relegation is indicative that he was doing a reasonable job there. 

Managers often say "judge me when I leave the club". But you're saying that Walsall nearly going into non-league a couple of months after Clarke goes means that he's done a good job there?!

Advert:

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, Eddie Ford said:

My apologies. It was only 8 games he won not 6, so, your fundamentally wrong for suggesting Walsall were play off contenders until he left them

6 points? Two extra wins? 

Maybe we have different definitions. I think, if you're in mid-February and 6 points from the playoffs, you are 100% in contention. 

We're 6 points from the drop and we're definitely in contention for that.

Your claim is more about interpretations, whilst my point is that you've made up a statistic and have posted it on here a lot to discredit our manager, 6 games after his appointment.

Edited by Joe B
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

We can employ as many staff with fancy names as we won't, but it ultimately won't mean much if the squad of players you have are an absolute shower. We need 70% of the squad moving on in the summer, regardless of what happens. We're a team full of players that are either injury prone, over the hill or simply not good enough.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, Wrex said:

Managers often say "judge me when I leave the club". But you're saying that Walsall nearly going into non-league a couple of months after Clarke goes means that he's done a good job there?!

Would it not suggest he was over-performing with his squad? And with a less competent manager, they look bad? 

Edited by Joe B
  • Like 1