onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Darrell Clarke

valefan16

On 03/03/2021 at 18:28, Iron Curtain said:

I have just spend 20 mins on a spreadsheet looking at remaining games and I now feel more comfortable that we wont go down... it will be tight. But the fact that all the teams at the bottom play each other and they all have lots of difficult games means that Grimsby, Southend and Barrow need a DRAMATIC turn in fortune to overtake us EVEN if we dont pick up many point.

The scenario that made me feel better is as follows:

Lets assume the Vale only get 11 points in the next 17 games (that's scraping 2 more wins and 4 draws) - I have assumed wins against Barrow and Harrogate and draws against Oldham, Newport, Crawley and Morcambe

That assumes we lose against Colchester, Grimsby and Mansfield.

That's 0.7 points a game between now and the rest of the season.

Even then I have us 3 points above Barrow and 2 points above Grimsby.

And that assumes:

Barrow win 4 games between now and the end of the season (I assumed Walsall, Stevanage, Newport, Orient) and draw 3 (FGR, Carlisle and Crawley)

Grimsby win 5 games (Colchester, Mansfield, Barrow, Walsall and us) and draw 3 (Carlisle, Morcambe and Oldham)

Thanks for this. It shows that even if our poor form doesn’t turn around (which I  think it will do if we manage to scrape a first win) there will need to be a triple whammy of scary results - involving not one but two really poor sides at the bottom stringing together lots of eyebrow-raising results.

Advert

When DC was appointed surely his immediate brief would have been to stop the rot and stabilise our league  position. It may have even been mentioned, but not seriously considered,  to make sure that we stay clear of any relegation worries. Even with the injury situation,  the team isn't massively different to what we've had all season,  with the exception of Worrall, and unless we're suddenly a one man team, he knew full well what he'd have to work with.  So the question is, has DC himself bitten off more than he can chew?  Secondly,  if the question was asked to him when he arrived,  would he consider it a failure if he didn't keep us from being relegated,  I wonder what his response would have been? 

We would hope that our next few more favorable fixtures will return the points required to distance ourselves from the unthinkable. If we do manage to escape,  I hope that we see the type of improvement next season that his ego promises without any excuses,  because the Clarke-Flittcroft dream team need to deliver. If we don't escape, then what? 

8 hours ago, Old fort said:

When DC was appointed surely his immediate brief would have been to stop the rot and stabilise our league  position. It may have even been mentioned, but not seriously considered,  to make sure that we stay clear of any relegation worries. Even with the injury situation,  the team isn't massively different to what we've had all season,  with the exception of Worrall, and unless we're suddenly a one man team, he knew full well what he'd have to work with.  So the question is, has DC himself bitten off more than he can chew?  Secondly,  if the question was asked to him when he arrived,  would he consider it a failure if he didn't keep us from being relegated,  I wonder what his response would have been? 

We would hope that our next few more favorable fixtures will return the points required to distance ourselves from the unthinkable. If we do manage to escape,  I hope that we see the type of improvement next season that his ego promises without any excuses,  because the Clarke-Flittcroft dream team need to deliver. If we don't escape, then what? 

I think clearly at the moment it has to be said that he's not had anything like the impact as everyone had hoped. That goes without saying.

That said, had he had a bit more luck, I dare say with just Worrall and Pope fit we'd be sitting here 3 or 4 points better off and it wouldn't seem so bad. I look at the teams he's put out in the last few games and it's absolutely rotten. Nobody is getting results with those teams without a minor miracle.

16 minutes ago, TylerB said:

I think clearly at the moment it has to be said that he's not had anything like the impact as everyone had hoped. That goes without saying.

That said, had he had a bit more luck, I dare say with just Worrall and Pope fit we'd be sitting here 3 or 4 points better off and it wouldn't seem so bad. I look at the teams he's put out in the last few games and it's absolutely rotten. Nobody is getting results with those teams without a minor miracle.

If we don't beat Oldham we will be in the bottom 2 within 7/8 games. Clarke and Flitcroft would have to accept blame if we do drop, odds suggest we won't. Tune in to the Supporters Club virtual meeting next Thurs. Could be interesting. It's a pity it wasn't live in respect that they wouldn't be able to vet the questions beforehand.

It's poor, really poor

3 minutes ago, pete vale said:

If we don't beat Oldham we will be in the bottom 2 within 7/8 games. Clarke and Flitcroft would have to accept blame if we do drop, odds suggest we won't. Tune in to the Supporters Club virtual meeting next Thurs. Could be interesting. It's a pity it wasn't live in respect that they wouldn't be able to vet the questions beforehand.

It's poor, really poor

I think carol / Colin would deserve blame more than those two. They took an age to firstly sack askey. Then an age to get in a new manager and instead get a DOF which they never wanted to start with. Shambles all around as usual with the vale 

31 minutes ago, Old fort said:

Clarke is a manager not a miracle worker

3 minutes ago, valiant_593 said:

I think carol / Colin would deserve blame more than those two. They took an age to firstly sack askey. Then an age to get in a new manager and instead get a DOF which they never wanted to start with. Shambles all around as usual with the vale 

I agree, obviously Flitcroft talked himself into the role, I've said it before, he should have come in as manager and steadied the ship. If at the end of the season we stayed in League 2, then the DOF could have been put on the table. To me this is expensive, ill-timed and yes, Carol and Colin would be at blame. You could not make it up.

4 minutes ago, pete vale said:

I agree, obviously Flitcroft talked himself into the role, I've said it before, he should have come in as manager and steadied the ship. If at the end of the season we stayed in League 2, then the DOF could have been put on the table. To me this is expensive, ill-timed and yes, Carol and Colin would be at blame. You could not make it up.

Agree 100%

9 minutes ago, valiant_593 said:

this happened because once Flitcroft had described everything that was wrong at the club, the need for a DoF was apparent. Its harsh to say they never wanted one. And its a step in the right direction, not a shambles.

9 minutes ago, mikey said:

this happened because once Flitcroft had described everything that was wrong at the club, the need for a DoF was apparent. Its harsh to say they never wanted one. And its a step in the right direction, not a shambles.

Why does it take a manager applying to be the manager to point that out? Carol didn’t want a DOF she wanted a manager and was talked into by someone who thought being a manager would be too big of a job. Yet it didn’t hinder us last season. Surely if there were so many things wrong with the club someone like garlick who has been at the club for years would know this? I think we will have to wait and see if it is a step in the right direction. It Dosent work for all clubs. For me as Pete put above. Flitcroft should have been made manager at least until the end of the season. 

Archived