Match Thread: Port Vale v Grimsby Town

Fosse69

1 hour ago, Diego Maradona said:

They had more possession but they didn’t really make any in-roads through our defence. We were less of a threat but as I’ve said, we didn’t need to be. We were 2-0 up. 

Yeah but the way it had been going I just felt we were inviting them onto us..one cock up in defence, and there's been a few recently, and they have a sniff back in.....didn't happen, I know, but....just made me wonder.

• Like 1

Grimsby were absolutely shocking and were there to be beaten by 5 or 6. Anyone that thinks we did well for 90 minutes, and especially in the second half, need their heads examining. 

We made harder work of it than it needed to be in the end. But 3 goals and a clean sheet are obviously the stats that really matter. But performance wise we'll need to be better again opposition that isn't so useless.

Edited by TylerB

1 hour ago, werstayinup said:

Just out of interest are you ever happy where Vale are concerned? I dont think anyone said we were like Real Madrid or anything yesterday but after how we have played in the last 6 games it was an improvement and i for one am happy with that

Oh no......you'll be labelled a "happy clapper"...you do realise, don't you? You'll put up with anything, you will...haven't you got any pride????😂😂😎

• Like 4

1 hour ago, TylerB said:

Grimsby were absolutely shocking and were there to be beaten by 5 or 6. Anyone that thinks we did well for 90 minutes, and especially in the second half, need their heads examining. 

We made harder work of it than it needed to be in the end. But 3 goals and a clean sheet are obviously the stats that really matter. But performance wise we'll need to be better again opposition that isn't so useless.

Jesus mate normally agree with you but come on 

were on the back of the worst run in however long 

just got rid of our manager

players weren't able to train for most of the week

got a squad thats probably lacking quality 

it was a great performance all things considered. We looked solid at the back bar a couple set pieces 

we created some chances

the team looked interested and motivated to get a result. 

yes grimsby werent great but you can only beat whats infront of you give the lads and pugh some credit 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TylerB said:

They were shocking. 

I hope you haven't forgotten our 50 quid charity bet to the Hub foundation where you waxed lyrical about what a cracking team Harrogate were after they bored their way to a 0-0 at Vale Park with dull negative tactics. 

Though obviously they can still finish top 10 so I'll happily pay up 

• Like 1

On 09/01/2021 at 16:34, Doha said:

I've gone blank. Can they still retroactively award goals scored to someone else? First was definitely Pope, not Brisley. 

In true Doha style is this the goal Brisley definitely didn't score? 😉

Brisley.png

bris.gif

1 minute ago, wotsyobeef said:

In true Doha style is this the goal Brisley definitely didn't score? 😉

Brisley.png

bris.gif

And from the camera angle we actually had available at the time?

3 minutes ago, Doha said:

And from the camera angle we actually had available at the time?

It was difficult to see what happened so it was a bit strange to use the word definitely and tell other posters numerous times that it was Pope's goal.

We all get things wrong now and then. Our team play in black and white but in debates sometimes there are grey areas. 🙂

• Like 1

On 09/01/2021 at 17:27, Fosse69 said:

Only Vale and the Mariners have played 23 games, some have only played 20. Depends if the season ends early as well.

I absolutely agree with that.  The extra matches played does flatter us cureently, but then the old adage; points in the bag, also hold true--fingers crossed!

On 11/01/2021 at 16:42, valefan16 said:

Smart finish to be fair from that angle. Looked a right mess from the main camera. Both goals first half seemed to go through the keeper like he was a hologram!

Looked at the time to me like it went in at off the goalkeeper's elbow from the other angle and this angle. Not sure if it would have gone in without a deflection.