Match Thread: Bradford City v Port Vale

Lee Johnson went on an 8 game losing run and kept his job at Barnsley, before turning it around and being poached by Bristol City.

I think we will get a result vs Bradford.

Although I don't think he's the right manager to take us forward.
Expected us to get something but still doesn't change my mind.

Askey is a dead man walking and his removal will happen soon enough.

• Replies 364
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ok apologies for suggesting you anti Askey posters would be gutted tonight. I accept we are all Vale with different views but some of the comments on here pillorying Carol for not sacking him were ab

We did what we had to do today. It wasn't pretty (like the pitch). We matched a side who've won a few of late, and if he hadn't put that team out with that set up, Askey would have been criticised. Wi

A draw under the circumstances ain't bad,it doesn't suit the agenda but they scrapped tonight,stopped the root, plenty of positives, and something to build on, I'll say it, well done Vale

Posted Images

Lee Johnson went on an 8 game losing run and kept his job at Barnsley, before turning it around and being poached by Bristol City.

I think we will get a result vs Bradford.

Although I don't think he's the right manager to take us forward.
Expected us to get something but still doesn't change my mind.

Askey is a dead man walking and his removal will happen soon enough.

29 minutes ago, Jacko51 said:

Scunny had one shot on target. King’s Lynn had one shot on target. They were both brilliant apparently and deserved to win!!

Yeah because everyone said they played brilliant didnt they!!! They also both scored there one shot on target. We didn’t. No idea what point your trying to make 

3 minutes ago, andy jones said:

Ok apologies for suggesting you anti Askey posters would be gutted tonight.

I accept we are all Vale with different views but some of the comments on here pillorying Carol for not sacking him were absolutely disgusting attacks on what she has achieved after saving the club in the first place.

Yes the last 6 weeks have been awful results wise but so many games went against us in injury time. Two when we had battled with ten men. Ok there weren't 5 first team missing in all those games but injuries to key players have had an affect.

Regarding the 'poor' signings in Summer. Well if I remember right we paid the vast majority of our budget on retaining our existing squad and it seemed most on here were delighted we did.

Then Carol dug even deeper to try and get Maynard. Disappointing to miss out? Not sure actually as he has scored how many in the league this season?

So we got Robinson who had one of the best goals / minutes records last season.

6 weeks ago Askey was good enough to get us comfortably in play off positions even though we had by then conceded a couple of late goals that cost us being in top three.

6 weeks isn't a long time when Carol has as 3 year plan to ...

Get us promotion

Create a quality Academy to develop young talent for the first team.

Overhaul the off field activities including bringing in professional staff she can trust.

Create an incredible reputation within the city including nearly 200,000 meals for those in need (disgracefully described as a 'few meals for elderly' by one poster.)

Put seats in the Lorne Street to give us a proper stadium look to be proud of after all these years (again written off by the same poster as a few plastic seats)

And last but not least agreed to pay an immense amount of money to save the club.

So please, let's just lay off the criticism of Carol's running of the club and accept that she has undertaken all of the above and will decide all appointments of people who work for her without having to take the abuse being aimed at her both on here, and other social media.

If anyone is letting our football club down its those throwing the personal abuse who should be ashamed of themselves.

Happy New Year

Agree with what your saying re carol. However not about askey. He needs to go ASAP before we go down. (I honestly think we could go with him in charge) not sure what 6 weeks has to do with anything. It’s about now and how bad we have been. 
promotion won’t happen with John askey as manager with this group of clowns 

Advert:

I accept we are all Vale with different views but some of the comments on here pillorying Carol for not sacking him were absolutely disgusting attacks on what she has achieved after saving the club in the first place.

Yes the last 6 weeks have been awful results wise but so many games went against us in injury time. Two when we had battled with ten men. Ok there weren't 5 first team missing in all those games but injuries to key players have had an affect.

Regarding the 'poor' signings in Summer. Well if I remember right we paid the vast majority of our budget on retaining our existing squad and it seemed most on here were delighted we did.

Then Carol dug even deeper to try and get Maynard. Disappointing to miss out? Not sure actually as he has scored how many in the league this season?

6 weeks ago Askey was good enough to get us comfortably in play off positions even though we had by then conceded a couple of late goals that cost us being in top three.

Get us promotion

Overhaul the off field activities including bringing in professional staff she can trust.

Create an incredible reputation within the city including nearly 200,000 meals for those in need (disgracefully described as a 'few meals for elderly' by one poster.)

Put seats in the Lorne Street to give us a proper stadium look to be proud of after all these years (again written off by the same poster as a few plastic seats)

And last but not least agreed to pay an immense amount of money to save the club.

So please, let's just lay off the criticism of Carol's running of the club and accept that she has undertaken all of the above and will decide all appointments of people who work for her without having to take the abuse being aimed at her both on here, and other social media.

If anyone is letting our football club down its those throwing the personal abuse who should be ashamed of themselves.

Happy New Year

What he said

some looking for a quick fix unfortunately. Football doesn’t work like that. Regardless of the finish this year we have a club that’s surviving and improving. If the pandemic continues as it is, some clubs will be out of business come April.

We will have a solid platform to build

Maybe we will change the management then.

I can still see some twists this year. 2 wins on the bounce and everything changes. A signing in January and players back from injury and you never know.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, dazzerjames said:

What he said

some looking for a quick fix unfortunately. Football doesn’t work like that. Regardless of the finish this year we have a club that’s surviving and improving. If the pandemic continues as it is, some clubs will be out of business come April.

I can still see some twists this year. 2 wins on the bounce and everything changes. A signing in January and players back from injury and you never know.

Jesus wept 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, dazzerjames said:

What he said

Clearly we are not improving on the pitch, which, you know, does kind of matter for any football club.

Edited by TylerB
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

51 minutes ago, osprey said:

Harrogate was abandoned due to a frozen pitch

Maybe there was a reluctance to call ours off given the schedule.  As the game wore on it seemed to get worse, so maybe at kick off it wasn't as bad as it looked.  Either way, it probably helped our weaked side more than it did Bantams.

Fair play to the players, it was all about not making silly mistakes in the tricky conditions and overall we managed that, albeit without playing well.

Advert:

23 minutes ago, andy jones said:

Get us promotion

Happy New Year

Apologies for re-posting this following the Stevenage game.  Some didn't think that it would happen at the time,  let's hope that it doesn't. 

Last year when our very own Doha had is own thread of the Bloatcake I saw a toxic little thread mocking The Vale concerning our bright new dawn under Carol and Kevin. I thought that only the most bitter and jealous Lard could have produced such a nasty piece of work, prophesying a cycle of how our exuberance would be short lived before we turn on our owners, manager and ourselves. - Why?  He said because we always do

His spiteful post was bourne out of shear hatred and jealousy of The Vale. 

Vale fans. Please don't allow this to actually happen,  because, looking at some of the posts currently circulating, it seems that we aren't that far away from it developing, particularly with the minority of comments that are starting to bubble concerning Carol. 

Don't let The Lard be proved right.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, andy jones said:

You'd have been better leaving this sentence out.  The argument would be that despite his stats, and our dire need for goals in the squad, JA can't fit him into the team, certainly as the lone striker, so why sign him?  It smacked of desperation at the time, to fill a squad place left vacant by hanging around for Maynard, and still looks that way.

• Like 1

Has anyone listened to Askey’s post match interview? He seemed a lot more upbeat. He knows full well that his job is secure. 

To be fair he’s probably chuffed with a point considering he had a load of kids on the bench and zero options bar Pope to change it.
  • Like 1

Advert:

Crap game very low on quality from either team. At we least showed some determination and a bit of grit tonight. More than we have done for a while. Thought we still looked uncertain and vulnerable but the clean sheet should give more confidence.

JA's explanation re McKirdy & Robinson is the clearest indication that he will be staying on until the end of the season.

Mid table here we come....can hardly contain the excitement.

Edited by MBE

2 minutes ago, MBE said:

Crap game very low on quality from either team. At we least showed some determination and a bit of grit tonight. More than we have done for a while. Thought we still looked uncertain and vulnerable but the clean sheet should give more confidence.

JA's explanation re McKirdy & Robinson is the clearest indication that he will be staying on until the end of the season.

Mid table here we come....can hardly contain the excitement.

What did he say? 

mid table. I’ll take that if askey stays. Think we will be a lot lower if he’s here all season though. I’ll save a tenner a game though so there is that!

56 minutes ago, andy jones said:

Get us promotion

Happy New Year

Whilst this is all correct, I can only really remember TJHValiant putting a stupid post criticising Carol?

99.9% of the fanbase backs Carol regardless; some want Askey to go, some want Askey to stay.

Whilst I agree wholeheartedly with the above post, making mountains out of molehills, or giving larger credence to lone nutcases, won't do anyone any good. The above post makes it sound like Carol was facing stick from all over, and not some fans saying 'please sack the manager' (wouldn't do it myself but understandable and would occur at any club) and one lone crazy post (which the above post seems to rebut extensively).

Just looks bad if we complain about 'comments pillorying Carol' (making it sound like we're a fanbase of loons) when in reality it's one. 

I think the debate surrounding Askey is entirely fair and would be found on any football forum of a team in our position. That's just the nature of the game. You may disagree, but I feel it's perfectly reasonable for fans to call for the removal of a manager with the run Askey is on. Every other club of the 92 would do the same.

The more you mention, rebut, and kick off about these crazy posts, the more commonplace they appear, despite being a proper minority. Tell them they're being daft and move on.

Edited by Joe B
  • Like 5