Match Thread: Port Vale v Crawley Town

The long awaited League K.O. lets show this league we are worthy of promotion.  More player options  than for many years. So plenty of team options to discuss and still the chance  of new faces, Injuries  as usual  the uncertainty  and restriction.   So Vale start  with a win  against Crawley, 3-1 will do me.

• Fosse69 changed the title to Match Thread: Port Vale v Crawley Town
  • Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Dicko was terrible. I have no clue why everyone bangs on about this guy. 

Why does Fitzpatrick get stick so much? Is it because CJ Hamilton ran past him a couple of times in a friendly when he had no fitness? He's a solid L2 LB and had another dependable game again, cleari

Sproson didn't miss an opportunity to have a crack at both full backs guess he must have a few on his books he needs to move on.

Posted Images

The long awaited League K.O. lets show this league we are worthy of promotion.  More player options  than for many years. So plenty of team options to discuss and still the chance  of new faces, Injuries  as usual  the uncertainty  and restriction.   So Vale start  with a win  against Crawley, 3-1 will do me.

I remember beating Crawley 3-1 away a few years ago and I thought we were brilliant and had everything to be a top side that season. I thought Michael Tonge would be a class above everyone in the league after that game.
I couldn’t have been more wrong.

Solid 1-0 win this time.
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, PVFC_4_EVA said:

I remember beating Crawley 3-1 away a few years ago and I thought we were brilliant and had everything to be a top side that season. I thought Michael Tonge would be a class above everyone in the league after that game.
I couldn’t have been more wrong.

Solid 1-0 win this time.

I remember that one well, Dan Turner scored that game and Michael Brown was manager, how things have changed since then.

I think we'll go with virtually the same team that started at Scunthorpe. Maybe Monty will come in on the left wing though.

Edited by PV1973

With Amoo out for ages, Monty definitely will. Looked very good last night. I worry about subsequent vulnerability at LB though. We will be targeted down that flank all season. 

49 minutes ago, Doha said:

With Amoo out for ages, Monty definitely will. Looked very good last night. I worry about subsequent vulnerability at LB though. We will be targeted down that flank all season. 

Absolutely mate, but that's why it's important Monty plays on the left as his tracking back, pace and familiarity with the defensive side of the game with playing at LB, will help Fitzpatrick out. Think they'll work well off each other.

1 hour ago, Doha said:

As will most teams. The majority of full-backs in L2 will be of run-of-the-mill standard.

1 minute ago, Doha said:

That's alright then, never mind the 30 goals conceded a season down the left, it's not like we're going for promotion or anything. 

Spot on!We all know what a massive void  that position has left in our team ,over the period since Dicko left!Needs sorting, as a priority ,for us to achieve success. Finger crossed it will be🤔

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Doha said:

That's alright then, never mind the 30 goals conceded a season down the left, it's not like we're going for promotion or anything. 

So you're writing off Fitzpatrick from doing a decent enough job at left-back already. Nice one.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ELDERBEZZA said:

Spot on!We all know what a massive void  that position has left in our team ,over the period since Dicko left!Needs sorting, as a priority ,for us to achieve success. Finger crossed it will be🤔

Dickinson was toss for all of his effort and fist pumping. Behave!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Doha said:

With Amoo out for ages, 

Is that for sure? We've missed his spark, but he looked a bit laboured in pre-season. With Browne gone, we are a bit lacking now out wide up front. Rodders did well last night, but you feel his ideal position is more central.

I prefer Monty at LB myself. He needs to get a head of steam up when he gets surging. But he was good for the 45 last night. 

Having watched every stream so far, no he hasn't shown he is as good as Montano. A vulnerability spotted by all the opposition managers so far because they all set up to repeatedly ping diagonals down our left, for a reason. 

Which is why I said

I worry about subsequent vulnerability at LB though. We will be targeted down that flank all season. 

• Like 2

There was  a definite issue on that side between smith and the lb that we didn’t have with gibbo and legge, maybe it’s positioning with Gibbo being a natural fullback? I don’t know. But im happy to see Fitzpatrick given a chance there, he may help to shore up that side.

Edited by PV1973
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, toyahw said:

Is that for sure? We've missed his spark, but he looked a bit laboured in pre-season. With Browne gone, we are a bit lacking now out wide up front. Rodders did well last night, but you feel his ideal position is more central.

I prefer Monty at LB myself. He needs to get a head of steam up when he gets surging. But he was good for the 45 last night. 

The media have just reported he has a strain. "For a while" was mentioned on here last night. 

Rodney has looked better as pre-season has gone on. Out on the left against Scunthorpe was I think stifling him from the get go. Needs to be central. If Askey is going to insist on 1 up front with the two wingers roving up and down then we need a Taylor style false 10 floating about high up the pitch to support the central forward and to take pot shots as otherwise I fear we will struggle to make things stick unless it's Pope with his strength. Someone high enough to play the one two or be an outlet for the pass because so far through the middle we have appeared a bit sparse ideas wise once the ball is hoofed up there. 

We are fortunate that both Amoo and Worrall can switch sides. I'm hoping we get the new wide player in before Saturday to shore up that right hand side. 

Fancy us to win this. Always good first game of the season and I think we’re a better side than these. 

Brown 

mills. Legge. Smith. Montano. 

Joyce. Burgess. 

Worrall. Conlon. Rodney. 

Robinson

in an ideal world manny would be starting but only if 100% fit. If we had another winger I would have Rodney starting up front due to the lack of fitness to Robinson and Cullen. Montano at left back at home has to be the right option. I’d say Fitzpatrick so far has looked our weakest link.