Jump to content
Doha

New striker signing - Devante Rodney

Recommended Posts

11 minutes ago, JRC said:

The great height mystery. Hopefully it will be resolved on 29th August.

Who is the 4th forward? Only ones available who I could see playing the role:

Jamille Matt ... got 20 a couple of seasons ago and relatively local. Very strong in the air, pretty mobile but not what you'd define as a refined footballer

Ollie Palmer ... similar type of player to Bennett but a bit better

Joe Ironside ... reminds me a little of Foyle, leads the line well, mobile and a decent enough first season of league football. Not the biggest but wins his fair share of headers.

Not really seen much else released or out of contract. The likes of Nouble aren't really players who lead the line, more second strikers or inside forwards.

 

Matt, Pope, Cullen, and Rodney would do me nicely.

Easy to forget we already have 2 good forwards on the bench already, both of whom 90% of League 2 clubs would have in their starting 11.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, JRC said:

The great height mystery. Hopefully it will be resolved on 29th August.

Who is the 4th forward? Only ones available who I could see playing the role:

Jamille Matt ... got 20 a couple of seasons ago and relatively local. Very strong in the air, pretty mobile but not what you'd define as a refined footballer

Ollie Palmer ... similar type of player to Bennett but a bit better

Joe Ironside ... reminds me a little of Foyle, leads the line well, mobile and a decent enough first season of league football. Not the biggest but wins his fair share of headers.

Not really seen much else released or out of contract. The likes of Nouble aren't really players who lead the line, more second strikers or inside forwards.

 

Would love Matt or Palmer!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You have a good player in Rodders, but needs to be played through the middle like he was at the shay , he didn’t pull any trees when at Stockport when played out wide , I don’t think  he’ll have a problem adapting to a league higher, he’s strong pacy & know where the goal is , its simple really just play to his strengths ,good luck Devante.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, toyahw said:

Wikipedia has Phil Roe down as 5'10'' ???????

Is that bad? I barely remember he ever existed let alone what height he was

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Wrex said:

Is that bad? I barely remember he ever existed let alone what height he was

If he was 5'4'' that would be pushing it. That's why I remember him. Shortest Vale player I've ever seen.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Walka003 said:

I don't think I've ever seen Vale give out a three year deal, Askey must see something!

Welcome Devonte

I don’t know if the rules apply to players we buy in but that 3 year deal takes him past 24. Also maybe it is in the hope he comes good over the next couple of seasons and could command a fee?

Edited by PV1973

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Walka003 said:

I don't think I've ever seen Vale give out a three year deal, Askey must see something!

Welcome Devonte

I really like the fact that we’ve given him a 3 year deal, it’s the type of development strategy and medium/long term planning that a self sustainable club should be aspiring to.

He’s fits the mould of a Striker who can play on their own through the middle and create chances themselves and gives us an outlet in that system , and we all know pace and power can be the difference in this league. Also, like a few have alluded to, he will be an option on the wing, which I think will come in very handy as the season progresses. 

It will be very interesting to see who the other striker is, which I expect will be more of a established pedigree. I would be very surprised if we aren’t in for Palmer, but I guess as one of a few out of contract Strikers who scored double figures last season, he will be in demand, and I wouldn’t want us to break the bank for him.

Anyway, with start dates being muted for the end of August and all of the contract renewals and a signing the past week, excitement is starting to bubble. I for one can’t wait! UTV. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I really like the fact that we’ve given him a 3 year deal, it’s the type of development strategy and medium/long term planning that a self sustainable club should be aspiring to. He’s fits the mould of a Striker who can play on their own through the middle and create chances themselves and gives us an outlet in that system , and we all know pace and power can be the difference in this league. Also, like a few have alluded to, he will be an option on the wing, which I think will come in very handy as the season progresses. 

It will be very interesting to see who the other striker is, which I expect will be more of a established pedigree. I would be very surprised if we aren’t in for Palmer, but I guess as one of a few out of contract Strikers who scored double figures last season, he will be in demand, and I wouldn’t want us to break the bank for him.

Anyway, with start dates being muted for the end of August and all of the contract renewals and a signing the past week, excitement is starting to bubble. I for one can’t wait! UTV. 

 

For sure. I think the next striker needs to be someone who can challenge Cullen this season for the starting berth. At present we have Pope who is still doing a job, but is in the twilight of his career and Rodney who is an unknown quantity. Cullen struggled with his fitness last year and we did have to rely on Pope and Bennett quite a lot, the next signing up top could be integral to a successful season.  

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m going to start off with a bit of rant here...

I’ve just had a read through the reaction of some Vale fans after we announced Rodney on Facebook. A fairly large amount decided to knock the lad, call it an unambitious signing, claim his goal scoring record isn’t up to suit and one bloke even suggest we should have re-signed Quigley instead. It truly is laughable how some people base their own opinion off of a few stats from Wikipedia. This isn’t just the case with Rodney, I’d say 60% of the players we sign instantly aren’t good enough for some people. It really does wind me up. Give the lads a chance and don’t be so quick to judge! 

Now onto the signing...

Admittedly, I was took back by the length of the contract but at the same time pleasantly surprised. A three-year deal is a statement of intent from the owners, and long may it continue. When was the last time we signed a player on a three-year deal? Rodney looks a decent prospect. Stockport and Halifax fans are raving about him. 15 in 32 in the past two years in the National League is a good return for a player who has played a fair percentage of that out wide. He’s still only a young lad and I’m sure he can only improve in the next three years. I’m certainly excited by this signing.

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

3 years makes sense. 1st year ease him into league football 2nd year if he comes good he won't leave on a free transfer at the end of the season so we can demand a reasonable fee for him. If he doesn't work out we already know he is wanted at national league level so we wont have a problem getting a small fee and him off the wage bill

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, Portvale4 said:

I’m going to start off with a bit of rant here...

I’ve just had a read through the reaction of some Vale fans after we announced Rodney on Facebook. A fairly large amount decided to knock the lad, call it an unambitious signing, claim his goal scoring record isn’t up to suit and one bloke even suggest we should have re-signed Quigley instead. It truly is laughable how some people base their own opinion off of a few stats from Wikipedia. This isn’t just the case with Rodney, I’d say 60% of the players we sign instantly aren’t good enough for some people. It really does wind me up. Give the lads a chance and don’t be so quick to judge! 

Now onto the signing...

Admittedly, I was took back by the length of the contract but at the same time pleasantly surprised. A three-year deal is a statement of intent from the owners, and long may it continue. When was the last time we signed a player on a three-year deal? Rodney looks a decent prospect. Stockport and Halifax fans are raving about him. 15 in 32 in the past two years in the National League is a good return for a player who has played a fair percentage of that out wide. He’s still only a young lad and I’m sure he can only improve in the next three years. I’m certainly excited by this signing.

 

Genuinely, come off the facebook pages. They're bad for your health. The most miserable, uninformed group of Vale fans you could ever meet. All they do is wind you up and there's that many of them you can't even begin to have a rational discussion with them.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Walka003 said:

For sure. I think the next striker needs to be someone who can challenge Cullen this season for the starting berth. At present we have Pope who is still doing a job, but is in the twilight of his career and Rodney who is an unknown quantity. Cullen struggled with his fitness last year and we did have to rely on Pope and Bennett quite a lot, the next signing up top could be integral to a successful season.  

 

 

I think you're possibly looking at it the wrong way around.  Cullen finished the season fit and strong, and, touch wood, looked to have recovered from his injury the previous season.  OK, his one year deal may indicate some slight uncertainty, who knows, but we need a player to come in and cover, or be the longer term replacement, for The Pope surely?  Unless JA chooses not to go with a traditional "big" target man, ie. how we finished the season, with Cullen starting and Pope coming off the bench.  Having said that, having a big lump up front is a good option in this division as we've seen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Guitar Ray said:

I think you're possibly looking at it the wrong way around.  Cullen finished the season fit and strong, and, touch wood, looked to have recovered from his injury the previous season.  OK, his one year deal may indicate some slight uncertainty, who knows, but we need a player to come in and cover, or be the longer term replacement, for The Pope surely?  Unless JA chooses not to go with a traditional "big" target man, ie. how we finished the season, with Cullen starting and Pope coming off the bench.  Having said that, having a big lump up front is a good option in this division as we've seen.

I think we are talking about the same thing, we need someone who can challenge Cullen/be a different starting option.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The vast majority of the time, I tend to read social media following on from the arrival of a mew signing,  and I’m absolutely baffled at the negativity that gets thrown around given the fact 99% of Vale supporters couldn’t tell you a single thing about him or what type of player he is.

I’ve just read well over 100 comments on Twitter, and was pleasantly surprised. Apart from the odd WUM, literally every comment from Stockport and Halifax supporters was full of praise, disappointment not to have resigned him and generally wishing him well. It’s rare to see that, normally.

A three year deal shows Askey and the club must have a lot of faith in him to develop and flourish at this football club. A positive first signing and being versatile is a huge plus for us. Excited to see how this one unfolds.

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Joe B said:

Genuinely, come off the facebook pages. They're bad for your health. The most miserable, uninformed group of Vale fans you could ever meet. All they do is wind you up and there's that many of them you can't even begin to have a rational discussion with them.

Agreed, they are all either very young and are just winding each other up with stupid comments that they somehow find funny amongst themselves, or Don’t know what they are talking about.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Reporting Posts and Ignoring Users

    Moderators don't read everything. Please don't assume we'll spot rule breaking (e.g. personal abuse) - use the orange report button above a post to alert them.

    If you can't get on with another forum user you can select the "ignore" option. Simply click on the link below, type in their username and save - Click here



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy