• OVF player sponsorship 2022

£10 to enter. More details and a link to donate can be found here

Ale and the Vale Podcast

stupers

Really enjoyed listening to the pod at the weekend, thought Dan was an excellent guest and gave a great view of some of the back office functions.  Also it came across that he puts a huge amount of love and effort in to a team that's not his first team and seems to enjoy it a great deal.

More proof, if ever we needed it, of the development of the club under Carol and Kevin.

KTF! UTV!

• Like 2

Advert:

Dont know if anyone has listened to the new A&V pod today with the Shanahan's as guests.  It really is excellent.

This one is quite lengthy at two and a half hours but it really is bloody marvellous.  Get it downloaded and have a listen. 

Makes you really proud of being a Valiant

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Just had a listen Osh, thank you.

Above everything else it's so good to know it's not just Carol and Kevin, it's the Shanahan family.

Listening to Patrick Shanahan was wonderful. Clearly a very intelligent, visionary and caring young man.

A wonderfully enjoyable couple of hours.

As Carol said in closing the chat 

Up The Vale!

BTW I thought Carol's comments regarding Popey are so caring and magnanimous. 

Edited by andy jones
  • Like 7

Advert:

Not sure I like him getting involved with player recruitment. Why ain't we signing this player etc. Seems like a good guy though.
Reasonable that a potential chairman should understand the football business. After all it is his families money, but they are employing experts to spend it.

Sent from my SM-A715F using onevalefan mobile app

• Like 2

Absolutely brilliant pod with Carol and Paddy.

A really good relaxed chat which made me laugh and tear up in equal measure. 

I see posters are jumping on the bandwagon about Paddy getting involved with player signings. Fans need to remember he is there watching and learning about all the different operations of the club because one day he might be running the ship. 

• Like 3

He should have no input whatsoever into which players we sign. Leave the football stuff to the football people. 
Don't entirely agree with this - if he is or will at some point be responsible for employing the football people, it's really important he understands their decisions and is able to discuss and challenge them. Likewise the football people should be able to explain what they're doing to their employer and even welcome different perspectives from within the club that might challenge them.

I do agree he/Carol shouldn't be telling them to sign or not sign someone. I don't think they have any desire to do that though.
  • Like 2

Advert:

He should have no input whatsoever into which players we sign. Leave the football stuff to the football people. 
I think it's ok to suggest names but not ok to force those names on the management. I don't think that was the case here. The way I heard it was that Paddy suggested a player but he listened to and accepted the justification of the football experts as to why they wouldn't be signing player x. I like the fact that the management team aren't just signing players for the sake of it but are justifying their decisions based on the needs of the squad.

Sent from my SM-A920F using onevalefan mobile app

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I heard nothing in what Paddy said that made me worried - it didn't come across as anything other than him trying to to get a 360° understanding of everything that goes on at a football club where ultimately he will one day be writing the cheques.

If it means he has any sort of a quantum of an informed opinion about player recruitment then it would be a vast improvement on the previous owner who actually did sign players from a position of extreme ignorance.

Edited by Santa
  • Like 7

• 4 weeks later...

On a technical point, Benning is considered English as he would only be able to play for India if they stopped the requirement for players to hold an Indian passport. He can't get an Indian passport without giving up his British passport, which he obviously isn't going to do, as the constitution of India forbids dual nationalities.

• Thanks 1

Advert: