onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Ale and the Vale Podcast

stupers

• 3 weeks later...

Advert

Just listened to the Clarke pod. Interesting discussion, and good to get a big round table.

One thing I would differ on from the guys is that for me, despite the abysmal run of form, it's pretty clear that the decision is probably 20% performance, 80% politics. Even if we got relegated, Clarke surely has more than enough credit in the bank not to lose his job, and look to rebuild and bounce back straight away. I have a memory of Carol saying that at some point, although that might be wrong.

So his position is untenable - which points to politics. You either trust him to rebuild, or not. Most of the squad will be gone, so he would have a clean slate. Less than 12 months ago, we believed he would be in charge until 2027! He may have lost some of the passion too no doubt, but the 180 degree turn is genuinely astonishing. In the pre-season tour, Carol, Darrell, and David all sat down and talked at length about their working relationship. They talked about openness and constructive criticism - that's always good, but it's easier when things are going well, not so much when they are not. Although he's likeable, you can also imagine Clarke being very spiky during this run of form, especially if he doesn't feel like he has been supported.

The only alternative to that in my mind, is that the prospect of relegation is financially apocalyptic. 2 related points about this - 1) it points to pretty poor longer term/strategic thinking, and the prospects of it happening/assumption it wouldn't. 2) Pretty sure that Carol said that when they reviewed the budget in Nov/Dec, they made a decision to cut their cloth in January. That's a pretty late flex, perhaps based on being out of the cup? We got fees for Charsley and Hall, and got 5 players off the wage bill (+ McCarron & Small) and replaced them with 2. Outgoings must be significantly less now. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Congratulations Lads on the Award.

Nice to see Vale win something!

Regards how the lads feel about the New Manager is mixed. 
Appointing a coach who has not managed before is not the way I would go, Look at Duncan Ferguson!

Mind you I don’t want the Cowleys, Paul Hurst or Pete Wild who were all mentioned.

Everybody has their own opinions on whose to blame etc  for this Current Situation whether it be Flitcroft,Clarke or the Players.

The Blame starts and finishes with the Owners, it is their business and their money !

Since January the decline has started and they have been rather too hesitant in doing anything about it !

Last few weeks the Restructuring of the club, getting rid of Staff, getting rid of Garlick and now Clarke all seems a little bit too late.

Lets be honest the Recruitment of players this season has been awful.

The medical Team etc ? We have never had so many injuries and/or Fit Players.

Come on Carol, which ever league we are in next season, things need sorting out.

Use John Rudge and his possible contacts, get the correct advice hopefully and go from there !

UTV

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JSValiant said:

Has not got League One Experience.

FC Halifax ? Oldham ?  
Remember Neil Aspin and Lee Sinnott !

Just my opinion but I feel we need someone who knows the League !

That is fair enough.

I would counter that with Ian Evatt had only National League & League Two experience with Barrow before taking over at Bolton

• Like 1

In regards to Flickers the man has one promotion 2 academy lads in the first team 1 academy goalie playing for his country and another who we are probably going to sell if he doesn't sign for us. He's done more in 2 years than had been done in the previous 20 he said himself we couldn't afford quality league 1 players at the start of the season so I don't think we can knock him for not signing many if any.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Brian Johnson said:

That is fair enough.

I would counter that with Ian Evatt had only National League & League Two experience with Barrow before taking over at Bolton

Yeh Good Call !

Evatt has done a good job at Bolton but remember he has had a much higher budget than what Wild would have at Vale !

• Like 3